Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase You Invest vs. BofA Merrill Edge?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Chase You Invest vs. BofA Merrill Edge?

For anyone who has used both Chase You Invest and BofA Merrill Edge...

How do they compare in terms of:

- Order execution?

- General website functionality and organization?

- Ease of viewing tax lots (and specifying lots when placing a sell order)?

- Convenient presentation of current-year realized gains and losses?

- Ease of viewing balances, including the portion of cash that is committed to open orders?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase You Invest vs. BofA Merrill Edge?

@wasCB14 wrote:

- Order execution?

- Ease of viewing balances, including the portion of cash that is committed to open orders?

BoAML, Chase, E-Trade, Fidelity...all six of one, half dozen of the other.

If you can navigate websites without wondering where the any key is before giving up and using your computer to play more Solitaire, you'll find them all to be about the same. All are using similar systems behind the scenes to place orders. All take minutes to complete in most cases. All generally have similar menus you can drill down in to find the same data, in about the same place. Summary, positions, contributions, history, blah blah.

The differences between them are largely a matter of personal choice. Go with the one that has the most favorable terms for you.

Message 2 of 3
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Chase You Invest vs. BofA Merrill Edge?

@iced wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

- Order execution?

BoAML, Chase, E-Trade, Fidelity...all six of one, half dozen of the other.

If you can navigate websites without wondering where the any key is before giving up and using your computer to play more Solitaire, you'll find them all to be about the same. All are using similar systems behind the scenes to place orders. All take minutes to complete in most cases. All generally have similar menus you can drill down in to find the same data, in about the same place. Summary, positions, contributions, history, blah blah.

The differences between them are largely a matter of personal choice. Go with the one that has the most favorable terms for you.

I had a TD Ameritrade account years ago. Maybe they've since improved it, but at the time I couldn't specify tax lots when selling. Strictly FIFO. I had also read (years ago) that Merrill Edge would occasionally get orders wrong.

The account bonuses are similar. I'd move enough in assets that I'd get at least some commissions free each month/year.

I'm happy with Fidelity and Schwab for trading liquid stocks (and options on them). I don't think any major brokerage allows commission-free options trading. The purpose of this new account would be to trade illiquid stocks where a $10k order might be filled over several days (so getting hit with a full commission every day would be unpleasant).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.