Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase account closed? <UPDATE>

tag
justjac2
Regular Contributor

Chase account closed? <UPDATE>

Hi everyone, I have a question about Chase checking. Back in 2013, just before I filed BK13, my checking account went negative. Afterwards, I tried to pay it at the branch but was told they couldn't take the money. My account was closed.

On Saturday, I saw a promo for a $225 bonus for opening a checking and doing a DD. I applied and was absolutely shocked that I was approved!! I poked around in the app yesterday and set up a transfer from SunTrust, and everything seemed fine.

I tried to login today to get the info to set up DD, and it was locked. I called CS, waited two hours and was then transferred to Fraud. I was told that since the account was opened online, they thought it might be a fraudulent account and I would need to go into a branch with some ID, and they would have to open another account. What the heck? Is this their way of saying "we got you" and they just want me to embarrass myself in front of a banker? Has this happened to anyone or am I making a big deal out of it? Maybe they just want their $180 or whatever it was. Either way I'll just head over tomorrow and see what's up. I was so happy, I thought they forgave me.

FICO 8 scores Nov/Jan 2021: EQ 779/751, TU 750/770, EX 763/746 Fully recovered from 5-year Ch13 discharged July 2018.
Last recorded: FNBO Evergreen and PSECU Founder's Card Dec 2021. Seriously out of date, at least 10 more since then.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase account closed?

I think you're reading too much into it, OP.

Head to the branch as you mentioned so they can verify some things in person, then once that's cleared up, you should be fine.

Message 2 of 7
justjac2
Regular Contributor

Thanks, @FinStar

FICO 8 scores Nov/Jan 2021: EQ 779/751, TU 750/770, EX 763/746 Fully recovered from 5-year Ch13 discharged July 2018.
Last recorded: FNBO Evergreen and PSECU Founder's Card Dec 2021. Seriously out of date, at least 10 more since then.
Message 3 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@justjac2 wrote:

Thanks, @FinStar

You're welcome @justjac2. Give us an update on the outcome, though. I'm fairly certain your DPs will help someone who find themselves in a very similar situation👍

Message 4 of 7
justjac2
Regular Contributor

UPDATE: I went to the Chase branch and provided my ID to the banker.  She made a call to someone, and when I heard her say "why?" I knew it wasn't going to be good.  They just said (basically) that there was fraud on this account and that it would be closed.  She did ask specifically how there could be fraud if there wasn't even any activity, and they tried to transfer her to another dept, but there would be a 50-minute hold at least.  She said that if I wanted, I could make an appointment with her for tomorrow and try to open another account.  I'm not going to waste my time with that.  Unfortunately, I did a transfer from SunTrust into this "new" account, which was withdrawn today, so hopefully they'll either reject it or send it to me.  Sigh.

The funny thing is that I got an email early this morning stating that I had a letter and would need to login to online banking or the app to read it, which of course I can't do.  Thanks for that.  So I'll just take Chase off my list of banks that might let me back in, and move on.

Message 5 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Well bummer OP. It sounded like the results were promising after verifying your ID in the branch.  Sorry to hear things didn't work out as expected. Plenty of other fish in the sea, though.

Message 6 of 7
justjac2
Regular Contributor

Yes, I'll brush this off, no worries. I was just approved for Affinity (yay!), and plan to do some account pruning over the next few weeks.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.