Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase & Chexsystems - Help Please!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase & Chexsystems - Help Please!

Hey guys so for the past few years I haven't been able to open certain bank accounts because of my Chexsystems report. I was a victim of identity theft a few years ago.

Now suddenly I give it a shot and apply for a Chase Checking & Savings account online and it worked, i even received both my debit cards already and have full use of the accounts.

Before when I applied, even in the branch, they told me they couldn't open the account. 

Now I have heard of instances where accounts are open and then eventually closed... Its been over a week already, and I'm hoping I'm good.

Can anyone provide insight on this?

*Update* I froze Chexsystems and opened a Capital One Checking & Savings, the accounts opened but I was given an alert to call because my "report" was frozen. I eventually called and the lady had to do a fraud verification. She sent a text to my phone and cleared my accounts! Capital One Success! Hoping Chase doesn't close my new accounts Lol! 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase & Chexsystems - Help Please!

Well, first of all Chase doesn't use Chex systems, Chase is a part owner of a competing service EWS, Early Warning Systems. But if you were previously denied opening an account in branch, the problems created by your identity theft were probably on both Chex and EWS.

If you were able to now open a Chase account online the ID theft problems on EWS may have fallen off. Or yes, Chase may catch up to up to it and adverse action on your accounts, meaning restrict access or close. I would just go slow & steady with the Chase accounts and see what happens. "Slow and steady" as in don't try to pull large amounts of money into it from external accounts via ACH transfers, as that seems to set off alarms. Make small deposits into it in branch or mobile app check deposit, and small withdrawals. If all is still good in a month or so I'd say you're in the clear.

I also have Chex frozen, to prevent folks opening banking accounts in my name after the Equifax data breach last fall. It's a pain as when you unlock it with your PIN when opening a new banking account when you re-freeze it you have to wait 7-10 days for them to mail you a new PIN. But at least they allow you to freeze it, EWS doesn't allow consumers to freeze their EWS report. 

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just put that freeze on... Not taking a chance.

chex.png

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Well, first of all Chase doesn't use Chex systems, Chase is a part owner of a competing service EWS, Early Warning Systems. But if you were previously denied opening an account in branch, the problems created by your identity theft were probably on both Chex and EWS.

If you were able to now open a Chase account online the ID theft problems on EWS may have fallen off. Or yes, Chase may catch up to up to it and adverse action on your accounts, meaning restrict access or close. I would just go slow & steady with the Chase accounts and see what happens. "Slow and steady" as in don't try to pull large amounts of money into it from external accounts via ACH transfers, as that seems to set off alarms. Make small deposits into it in branch or mobile app check deposit, and small withdrawals. If all is still good in a month or so I'd say you're in the clear.

I also have Chex frozen, to prevent folks opening banking accounts in my name after the Equifax data breach last fall. It's a pain as when you unlock it with your PIN when opening a new banking account when you re-freeze it you have to wait 7-10 days for them to mail you a new PIN. But at least they allow you to freeze it, EWS doesn't allow consumers to freeze their EWS report. 

Our good credit isn't worth the risk just did the same almost everything is locked or frozen...

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase just sent me a letter saying they're closing the accounts... lol

Message 5 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well rats... sorry to hear that.  Smiley Sad

Since your issues were due to ID theft/fraud, have you considered trying to escalate within Chex/EWS to see if you can get your file cleared?

Assuming you have a police report it seems like this would be straight-forward to resolve.

Message 6 of 13
HiiiPoWeR
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry to hear! Did letter say that it  was due to Chex Systems or EWS?

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was Chexsystems , not EWS

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

EQ Fax breach plus neighbor is why I'd be a target for fraud... Neighbor has received my mail and I know that person would do me dirty... Hope your able to get your name cleared don't wait to start the process.

Message 9 of 13
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Do you still have the police report? 

If so. id find a way to send it to both EWS and Chex.... 

Only thing I can think of to do about it now...

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.