cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chris Hogan says that student loan debt is bad?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chris Hogan says that student loan debt is bad?

So, I signed up for the Ramsey+ course online.  The second video I watched was Chris Hogan telling all the debt people fall into.  He listed student loan debt and basically said it's debt and you shouldn't go to college if you dont have the cash.  What 18 year old has $30,000 saved up to pay their college in full?  Or does he think everyone's parents pay for it?  Mine didn't.  I pay $400 every month towards my student loans.  But I'd rather pay the $400 a month and make what I make now vs what I think I'd be making on a high school degree.  Ive told my kids that I can't afford to put them through college but I think their lives would be better with student loan debt and a college degree vs a high school degree alone.  I've been encouraging our 18 year old to just go to college using student loans.  Did I really make that bad of a decision going to school on student loans?  I figure I'll be paying my student loans until I retire.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chris Hogan says that student loan debt is bad?

Personally, I think you wisely accepted SLs in order to obtain your education. I think education is the best money spent, though all education is not created equal.

However I do think the money spent on the Ramsey course would’ve been better spent bringing the principal down on the student loans.Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous 

I think there are many things to factor in. Some students are just not college material, some can learn a trade and make just as much if not more than a person with a college degree. Also it depends on what field of study you plan on majoring in. I have a a few "college grads" working right along side of me ( I have no degree) they have tons of loans and a degree that really doesn't help their career.

My daughter just graduated and was just accepted to GRAD school, she will have quite a bit of loans but when she has gotten her masters she will be a Speech pathologist and should be ok with paying her loans back. My oldest started community college then decided to join the military. My middle son was not college material ( hated school) and learned a trade and makes an ok  living

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent point one size does not fit all. All education is not created equal and different people learn in different ways and have different aptitudes for different things.
Message 4 of 10
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

I think it just comes down to a value proposition, whether or not the education leads to a career path or opens a door to opportunity which has more value than the tuition cost. Like you, I had to pay my own way from the beginning through grad school. I've been blessed to work in my degree field and wouldn't qualify for my position without the degree and certifications. The salary drawn over the course of my career more than justifies the student loan, so I disagree with Chris Hogan about not going to school without the cash to do so. If I hadn't taken the loan I would have missed out on a career.

I do understand Hogan's perspective, however, as there are many who go to an expensive school and get a degree without a specific career goal in mind. I frequently hear stories about students who get a degree and expect a career to just magically happen. The degree is just the qualifier for an interview, it's up to each individual to make something of the opportunity from there. So if someone is going to take on a loan, there should be a specific goal in mind with a general understanding of how the degree field will be practically beneficial. 

Of course, all of the above may be secondary to the benefit of an education from a personal efficacy standpoint. Learning and becoming a better person is not measured in dollars.

Message 5 of 10
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

I don't think that only going to college if you have the cash to pay for it is good advice, since for most people that would mean limiting you job and career choices to those that can be entered and advanced through with only a high school diploma.  What really matters is what your income out of college is going to be and how that compares to the debt you took on.  $400/mo would have been very tough for me, but I have had a fairly low income across the 15-ish years since I graduated.  If the payments aren't onerous on your income and if the loans will be cleared in 10-15 years of regular payments, then I don't think you made a bad decision.  When you say that you expect to be paying on them until you retire, on what do you base that expectation?

Message 6 of 10
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

It completely depends...

College is expensive but not going will put you at a disadvantage in most fields.

$30k in sl is nothing if you got a good education.

There are plenty of glass ceilings without a Bachelors.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 7 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

The issue with any of the Dave Ramsey advice, is that it often seen purely in black and white with no room for the many greys we actually face in life.  While certain things like the debt snowball and avalanche methods are great strategies to paying off debt, much of it needs to be considered as to how it may or may not apply to individual circumstances.  Student loans absolutely make sense if it will lead to a career where one is able to repay the loans.  Just as it's not always good advice to never get a mortgage and only buy a house when you can pay cash, despite the fact that with inflation in housing costs it will likely cost you much more to buy the same house in the future than the purchase price plus interest if you bought it today (plus you'd be paying ever-increasing rents in the mean time), with tuition rapidly escalating one would likely need to save their entire lives and by retirement still likely not have enough money to pay cash to put themselves through something like medical school.  Paying cash for everything is much easier when you're the head of a motivational speaking business raking in millions a year; unfortunately there's not room for all of us to do that.

Message 8 of 10
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston  nailed it. Ramsey's people rake in a ton by convincing us that we are too stupid to manage our own funds. We need them and their approved providers or something to that effect. If it were left to Ramsey we would still by paying with animal skins.

Borrowing for college may be the only option. Getting a marketable degree is important. Attending an expensive university to major in Chinese ceramics will limit employmet opportunities. I'm not in favor of studen debt forgiveness. The higher education should lead to a better paying job than high school only in most cases. That pays the student debt. 

As we continue to hard sell college at any and all cost jobs for skilled workers and the trades go wanting. Soon the brain surgeon may have to snake his own drain if present trends continue. 

People have different aptitudes, interests and abilities. Training for the career that best suits the student and will pay a good wage is important. 

Message 9 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I think Chris Hogan is very wrong, going can make a lot of sense:

a) If you or your parents can pay, via loans or otherwise, and you are capable, and want to work in a field with good job opportunities, then it makes sense.

b) If you or your parents are wealthy enough, and you are capable, go whether or not the field has good jobs!    The only problem is that this leaves the Chinese Ceramics majors and most of the humanities  as available only to the rich, which is a pity, but society does benefit from at least some people working in these fields.  (To be fair, Hogan didn't address this case)

The only problem with a) is that sometimes you can be wrong.   When I went to college (around CE 121) I had some biochemist friends.  When they applied, you could get entry level biochem jobs with A levels (I guess roughly the equivalent of APs), with the "good" jobs requiring a degree, but during the 3 years,  the field became much more competitive, and the entry level jobs required a degree, and these people were left needed a graduate degree to get good jobs in the field.   (Of course, since this was the UK, tuituion was nearly free anyway but that's another story!)

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.