cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing checking and savings accounts with BOA and Chase?

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Closing checking and savings accounts with BOA and Chase?

They probably need those quarters. Old age, loneliness, mistrust in technology (especially for those who have lived longer without it than you have been in exitence), and need for human contact are normal

Mocking them for any of it is not.

It's uncouth at best. 

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarR wrote:

Yes, it's an automatic recurring $500 ach transfer from my main bank (USAA) to my Chase Checking. The $500 sits in there for 1 day before being yanked out, but any other given day by balance is $.01.

Also, my Chase Checking 2010 precedes today's Chase Total Checking, so I don't know if the terms have changed. I remember someone discussing last year (or 2018) that Chase Total Checking required an actual direct deposit for the fees to be waived. I don't have the DP's for BOA checking. You could always try both for one statement period to see if the fees are waived.

Yes i have the total checking, but my daily balance meets their minimum to avoid fees there. The only reason I signed up for DD with them was to earn the $200 SUB. 

The reason i asked about ACH was because I had heard that method didn't work with certain Banks.

BoA has already dropped several things that have tipped teh sacle for me to leave them. But i too have a CC with them, and it's more convenient to pay them in house. 

Message 12 of 16
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

They probably need those quarters. Old age, loneliness, mistrust in technology (especially for those who have lived longer without it than you have been in exitence), and need for human contact are normal

Mocking them for any of it is not.

It's uncouth at best. 

You are mistaking my factual telling with mockery. The local VFW, as well as other groups (with mostly an older generation demographic) had a meeting with our city hall leaders and mayor. They wanted to ban these smart centers, of which BOA and Chase are converting over to. One gentleman actually spoke up and asked the mayor as to what he was supposed to do with the change that he had saved all year.

Your assumptions and presumptions about my post are uncouth at the least.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 13 of 16
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The reason i asked about ACH was because I had heard that method didn't work with certain Banks. BoA has already dropped several things that have tipped the scale for me to leave them. But i too have a CC with them, and it's more convenient to pay them in house. 

According to Doctor of Credit, ach does qualify for BOA. However, there is no date on the article and there are alot of reader comments dated 2014. So it could be an outdated article and BOA could have changed since than. I am sure someone on here can give you a DP on it.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 14 of 16
Green456
Established Contributor

@kudosalert wrote:

Recently saw a video online and realize Im leaving money on the table by not putting my checking and savings at a bank that gives you interest on tbose accounts and not charging you fees on basically everything. My concern is that if i close my accounts at Boa and Chase, it might affect my credit cards with them. 

Does anybody have first hand experience with this? I carry a small balance on my BOA credit card from time to time. Would hate for them to mess with my credit card somehow. Perhaps flag my account for higher risk since i ended my checking/savings with them.

Thoughts?

I have 2 credit cards with BoA for the past 10 years. I have opened and closed BoA checking and saving accounts before and multiple times, including doing so just to get their checking account opening bonus. I never had an issue with their credit cards. I now keep BoA as my main bank. I think you will be fine. 

Message 15 of 16
Medic981
Valued Contributor

I have credit cards with both Chase and BoA without a banking relationship with either.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.