cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

College Student w/ Thin File - Please criticize my long-term strategy!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

College Student w/ Thin File - Please criticize my long-term strategy!

Hi all,

New user/long time lurker here. I'm a thin file looking to build credit for a specific goal, and I could use your help.

Background:

I'm a 20 year old college student with very little credit history. I attend college on a scholarship, so I have never had any loans. My parents thankfully added me as an authorized user on their reserve BoA credit card a few years ago, and when I first logged onto Credit Karma I had a ridiculous ~790 score going back 16 years.

In June I opened a Chase Checking account and then moronically app'd for a Chase Freedom and a Amazon Prime Signature Card (also Chase to combine inquiries) and was denied for both due to not having my own stand alone credit history. I turned around and app'd for a Discover IT student card the same day and was approved for $2k. Around this time I discovered myFICO, and a forum post warning thin files not to do exactly what I had just done with Chase. 

As for the Discover, I have been paying this card off weekly. It has reported <10% utilization every month except the first. I've been spending more than $2k on it monthly due to some computer purchases for my brother and I, and I am hoping to CLI after my 3rd statement cuts, which will make it easier to keep utilization low.

That brings me to my current profile:

Accounts: 2 total: Personal CC (Discover IT Student with $2k limit), 1 Authorized User CC (Bass Pro/BoA CC with $7500 limit, ~35% utilization monthly)

AAoA: 8 years, 1 month (but really only 3 months with my own card)

Scores: FAKO scores are 781 TransUnion, 770 Equifax; FICO is 744 according to Discover but I don't have enough history to get details

Inquiries: 0 Transunion, 2 Equifax, 1 Experian 

Yearly Income: $25k actual/cash, $40k with "tuition scholarships"

Graduation: May 2019 with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering

My Goal: To purchase a home within 2-3 years to use for "house hacking" (renting a part of your primary residence to pay bills and live for cheap/free while building equity). Also, to move up to the current "best card" (like the CSR/Amex Platinum) in the same time frame

I need some help getting there! I know that I'm a thin file, and I'd appreciate your help developing a plan to beef up my profile before then.

With that in mind, below is the current plan and some questions that I've developed from reading the forums. Please feel to provide advice, criticisms, reality checks, etc. I know that I have a lot to learn, and I'm glad to hear from people who are more experienced. You won't offend me.

Proposed Steps:

1. Keep my Discover IT utilization low and paid on time

2. Move bills (cell phone, insurance, utilities) to my name in case manual underwriting is needed

3. In January 2019 (after 6 months of payment history), app for a second card. Advice on which card would be great. I'd like the Chase Trifecta, but I am under the impression that I have to wait for 12 months of history. Could I get the Amex PRG, WF Propel, or Amazon Prime card at this point?

4. In June of 2019 (one year mark), app for several cards to build out my base. Start on Chase Trifecta if not already done. (I bank with Chase almost exclusively to help get the Trifecta)

5. Cease new credit card apps in June of 2020. Visit a mortgage broker when I'm ready to start house hunting and get some kind of pre-approval/budget

6. Hopefully buy house around January of 2021 or later, post success on the forums

Two questions I have:

1. Would a small Secured Loan through my credit union help? I learned of this credit building strategy on these forums, however, when I went to take one out, my CU banker said that they would probably not even consider such a small loan on a mortgage application, and that I should take out a $5k-$10k secured loan or CD-backed loan at 2% interest (above the CD rate) instead. What?!? 

2. Should I use an online service to report my rent payments to my credit reports? It would kind of be a pain, but I can probably work with my landlord (a friend's mom) if it would help long term. I'm only in this house another 9 months.

Thanks for the feedback/help. I've learned so much reading myFICO over the past few months. These forums rock!

TL,DR: I'm a 20 year old student and would like to buy a house in less than 3 years, when I will likely be in grad school. I have the down payment ready, but I have no loan history, and do not intend to take out a loan until the mortgage. I have one credit card that is 3 months old and I pay religiously. How can I build my credit profile up so that I can receive approval when I am ready in a few years?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: College Student w/ Thin File - Please criticize my long-term strategy!

You should be eligble for an Amex now with your profile and income. Just know the Plat isnt that hard to get , same underwriting as other charge cards just a higher AF.If you are set on living the Chase life just remember 5/24. A small secure loan will definetly help your credit mix if you have no other loans. Best of luckSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't worry about moving things like phone, utilities and insurance to your name.

These don't report monthly, so there's not any real benefit to having them in your name for credit building purposes. Some will actually have a negative effect because they will require an inquiry as you establish service (but then provide no benefit because they don't report after that.)

Message 3 of 11
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Keeping in mind what AverageJoesCredit stated... the Chase 5/24 rule.   If your ultimate goal is to be in a good relationship with Chase and pick up more cards from them, you definitely don't want to be filling up too fast on other cards or you'll be SOL/24 for a while.

Also, if the true goal is to purchase a home in 2-3 years, just keep that in the back of your mind as applying for 7+ cards in a small time frame could be looked at poorly by mortgage firms.  I suppose however if the home is 2 years off, there is room to let that smooth out.  Either way, it's great to see someone in college planning this roadmap out so well, kudos to you OP. 

-Victory Loves Preparation

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here are my thoughts, in no particular order.

Being an AU on your parents' BOA card. 

* The utilization here is harming your score (substantially).  Is there a way you could get them to pay the card to zero or a negative balance for the 40 day period prior to any application for credit on your part?

Cards with annual fees

* You seem interested in a number of these.  I would discourage you from these cards.  They are often a bad idea for anyone (a better more financially rewarding solution can often be found withn no-AF cards) and they are almost always a bad idea for students with low incomes.

* If one or more AF cards might be a good fit, they should be deferred until AFTER you own your home.  You can always begin getting them then.  Everything in your plans should center on supporting the goal of securing a mortgage and on the best possible terms.

Preparing for the mortgage

* Applying for many cards in the 9-15 months before you apply for a mortgage is a bad idea. 

* The best balance between avoiding CC applications vs. having enough cards is to have three cards in your own name at least 13 months before the earliest date when you might apply for mortgage pre-approval.  If you think you could have them by 18 or 24 months prior to the mortgage app, that would be even better.  More than three cards in your own name will not help you and may harm you.  (I.e. harm your AAoA, etc.)

* Keep your total CC utilization < 8% at all times (not counting the AU card) and make sure the AU card is at zero or a negative balance in the 40 days prior to any credit app.  Prior to any app for credit implement AZEO.

Getting a small personal loan

* Given your timeframe this would be a great idea.  Research something called the Share Secured Loan Technique.  It will add one more account and boost your FICO 8 scores in preparation for any CC applications you need to make.  The best fits for the full SSL Technqiue are Navy Fed (SSL) and Alliant (unsecured loan) currently.  Do not do this without commiting to the full technique.

* Having an open loan on which you have an established record of payments may very well help when the mortgage underwriter looks at your reports.

Message 5 of 11
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Here are my thoughts, in no particular order.

Being an AU on your parents' BOA card. 

* The utilization here is harming your score (substantially).  Is there a way you could get them to pay the card to zero or a negative balance for the 40 day period prior to any application for credit on your part?

Cards with annual fees

* You seem interested in a number of these.  I would discourage you from these cards.  They are often a bad idea for anyone (a better more financially rewarding solution can often be found withn no-AF cards) and they are almost always a bad idea for students with low incomes.

* If one or more AF cards might be a good fit, they should be deferred until AFTER you own your home.  You can always begin getting them then.  Everything in your plans should center on supporting the goal of securing a mortgage and on the best possible terms.

Preparing for the mortgage

* Applying for many cards in the 9-15 months before you apply for a mortgage is a bad idea. 

* The best balance between avoiding CC applications vs. having enough cards is to have three cards in your own name at least 13 months before the earliest date when you might apply for mortgage pre-approval.  If you think you could have them by 18 or 24 months prior to the mortgage app, that would be even better.  More than three cards in your own name will not help you and may harm you.  (I.e. harm your AAoA, etc.)

* Keep your total CC utilization < 8% at all times (not counting the AU card) and make sure the AU card is at zero or a negative balance in the 40 days prior to any credit app.  Prior to any app for credit implement AZEO.

* Given your timeframe this would be a great idea.  Research something called the Share Secured Loan Technique.  It will add one more account and boost your FICO 8 scores in preparation for any CC applications you need to make.  The best fits for the full SSL Technqiue are Navy Fed (SSL) and Alliant (unsecured loan) currently.  Do not do this without commiting to the full technique.

* Having an open loan on which you have an established record of payments may very well help when the mortgage underwriter looks at your reports.

+ 1

I got my first mortgage with 2 credit cards, 1 auto loan and ~4 years  history.

You don't need to get a lot of cards ( My suggestion is stop at 3 )

Having a loan for credit mix should help.

No need to move bills.

Get your dream cards later, time goes by fast and you will shoot yourself in the foot being in a hurry.

In this game the tortoise almost always wins.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys, lots of good stuff for me here!

Today I app'd to Navy Federal and got in (!!!) without a HP. Both my grandfathers were US military, and the CSR didn't ask for much. I only opened a savings account though. While I'm waiting for my grandfathers' papers (DD214?) to come from the gov't, I'm doing my due diligence on this Share Secured Loan Technique. If all goes well I should be ready to start in about a month.

With that in mind, should I apply for another card before taking the AAoA hit, or should I go ahead and start? If I do get a card and burn a 5/24 slot, I'd like it to be useful. My budget tells me the Amazon Prime Signature, Amex PRG (but its got that fee Smiley Indifferent), or Wells Fargo Propel cards would make the most since for me. I guess I'm off to research qualifications for the Amazon or WF card. That and NFCU cards now that thats an option.

Are Amex charge cards bad for thin files because they don't report utilization? I'm also kind of worried about having to cancel my second oldest card if the fee doesn't make sense later.

As far as reducing my parents utilization, we're working on it. If they can get the payment date moved, it should come down. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My comments in blue below.

@Anonymous wrote:

Today I app'd to Navy Federal and got in (!!!) without a HP. Both my grandfathers were US military, and the CSR didn't ask for much. I only opened a savings account though. While I'm waiting for my grandfathers' papers (DD214?) to come from the gov't, I'm doing my due diligence on this Share Secured Loan Technique. If all goes well I should be ready to start in about a month.

Wonderful.  Navy Fed is a well tested option for the SSL Technique.  Do not not discuss your SSLT plans with Navy customer service reps, however.

With that in mind, should I apply for another card before taking the AAoA hit, or should I go ahead and start? If I do get a card and burn a 5/24 slot, I'd like it to be useful. My budget tells me the Amazon Prime Signature, Amex PRG (but its got that fee Smiley Indifferent), or Wells Fargo Propel cards would make the most since for me. I guess I'm off to research qualifications for the Amazon or WF card. That and NFCU cards now that thats an option.

Others can give you their thoughts about which specific cards might be a good fit for you.  My only advice is to get a major credit card (not a store card) and to avoid all cards with annual fees (that includes but is not limited to charge cards).  Cards with AFs have no scoring advantage and typically end up costing you more than well-chosen non-AF options.  They can be fun toys for people who are CEOs and are flying constantly for their business -- then certain AF cards make sense.  But if you become a CEO you can always add that card then -- i.e. AFTER you own the house.

Are Amex charge cards bad for thin files because they don't report utilization? I'm also kind of worried about having to cancel my second oldest card if the fee doesn't make sense later.

That's a smart concern.  I think you should avoid all cards with AFs until after you own your house (or perhaps ever).

As far as reducing my parents utilization, we're working on it. If they can get the payment date moved, it should come down. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you really want to add another credit card, I think I'd get a credit card from Navy.

I have my largest credit limit with them at $23,500 (started at $2k and increased via a CLI at 95 days or so) and lowest interest rate at 12%. (I almost always pay in full, but just in case, it's nice to know I have a place to carry a balance if needed that isn't 20% . . )

Cash advances and balance transfers are easy and I like their mobile app as well.

Just expect a hard pull for anything you do with them.  You can sometimes get lucky and have an HP used twice if doing multiple things within a short window of each other, but don't count on it.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, you're in a similar boat that I was in, including the "moronic" Chase app, except that I started with secured Disco instead. Smiley Happy The Disco should grow very well, so that's an excellent first card I'd recommend to anybody.

Since you have a relationship with BofA (Even if only as an AU, but especially if you also have checking, etc.), I would pick up their cash rewards or travel rewards (or premium rewards if you know 100% you'll make up the AF). They've been good to me, my CL has grown nicely.

I applied again at Chase with less than a year of history and was approved, albeit for a toy limit. Not recommended.

I've had my eyes on the CSR too, but unless you're traveling a great deal, it's just not worth it. Uber is arguably just as good if not better, no-AF no-FTF, though I'm not sure how Barclays sees an AU; I had three cards and a little over a year of history and needed to recon them.

Best of luck! Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.