Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering joining Alliant CU....

tag
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Considering joining Alliant CU....

Heyo everybody,

I’m currently not a member of any credit unions and I have heard mixed (but mostly positive) things about Alliant. Their VS card is basically my ultimate goal card, but I’m certainly in no position to go for that one ATM. So, my thought was to join to build up some positive history with Alliant and app for the Signature down the road. Is this a good plan? Suggestions? Advice? Warnings lol? 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
16 REPLIES 16
crys12065
Established Contributor

Re: Considering joining Alliant CU....

I’ve only been a member with Alliant for a few months and have yet to move all my banking over because I don’t like change lol
but all my interactions with them so far have been positive. I’ve called them a few times and CS reps are always friendly and helpful.
I can say that ACH transfers through them are very fast when pulling from another bank. And check deposits as well. I also like that the checking is .65 APY when my current bank is .05. I mean it’s not a lot of money but still. And they have no minimums to keep or direct deposit requirements to avoid fees.

In the garden until 2020
Message 2 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I think you have to take reports on lenders with a grain of salt on this forum, and maybe specifically this forum too.

Ultimately there's a lot of criticism which likely could've been avoided using a different approach, and some, not all admittedly, lender complaints fall into that category.

Alliant has been fine for me and a lot of other people too, but I don't ask for much.  I'd probably go with a small savings account there personally: the only thing I had was small savings and a SSL there and I got a preapproval invite when they launched the card, maybe should've taken it just for diversification purposes even if I'm doing the points thing currently but it is admittedly a sweet card for any cashback strategy.

If you can do anything more than that like use them for your primary financial clearing house like I use Chase (vis a vis direct deposit and route all money from there), I think that'd help, but I'm not sure it's really necessary.

In general I do think people should establish a membership with a few quality CU's, and imo Alliant counts as a quality CU: diverse range of products, generally competitive rates over time, good size (amount of assets) and their technology isn't complete fail heh. 

        
Message 3 of 17
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

I think you have to take reports on lenders with a grain of salt on this forum, and maybe specifically this forum too.

Ultimately there's a lot of criticism which likely could've been avoided using a different approach, and some, not all admittedly, lender complaints fall into that category.

Alliant has been fine for me and a lot of other people too, but I don't ask for much.  I'd probably go with a small savings account there personally: the only thing I had was small savings and a SSL there and I got a preapproval invite when they launched the card, maybe should've taken it just for diversification purposes even if I'm doing the points thing currently but it is admittedly a sweet card for any cashback strategy.

If you can do anything more than that like use them for your primary financial clearing house like I use Chase (vis a vis direct deposit and route all money from there), I think that'd help, but I'm not sure it's really necessary.

In general I do think people should establish a membership with a few quality CU's, and imo Alliant counts as a quality CU: diverse range of products, generally competitive rates over time, good size (amount of assets) and their technology isn't complete fail heh. 

Wow, awesome info! Thank you! You’re right—I am leaning more toward a savings account rather than moving my checking from my local bank. So would Alliant be good for future car loans, etc? Have you found them to be more generous once a relationship is established? 

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I joined Alliant in January and just opened a savings acct. I believe it was a SP to join, and the application process was fairly easy. I wanted to start a relationship with them in case I decide to go for a cc or possibly refi my student loans. And I like the 2% apy on savings. I haven't tried for a cc or loan yet, so I can't speak on that experience. My only dislike is their website, but that's not a dealbreaker.
Message 5 of 17
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I feel about Alliant, how @AverageJoesCredit feels about Penfed.😂
They have a great banking side. But unless you earn six figures or haven't apped for much in the last year. The UW can be stringent!

Basically I think they suck on the finance and credit side. Their auto loans aren't very competitive either.

When they offered the SSL they were more appealing to me. I set up several family members with them.
I had $20k in their savings account and couldn't get a low limit CC with them. I've since moved on to greener pastures.😊
Message 6 of 17
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:
I feel about Alliant, how @AverageJoesCredit feels about Penfed.😂
They have a great banking side. But unless you earn six figures or haven't apped for much in the last year. The UW can be stringent!

Basically I think they suck on the finance and credit side. Their auto loans aren't very competitive either.

When they offered the SSL they were more appealing to me. I set up several family members with them.
I had $20k in their savings account and couldn't get a low limit CC with them. I've since moved on to greener pastures.😊

Interesting... thanks for the info! Definitely gives me something to think about seeing as the banking aspect is what I’m LEAST interested in lol  

Message 7 of 17
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I joined Alliant in January and just opened a savings acct. I believe it was a SP to join, and the application process was fairly easy. I wanted to start a relationship with them in case I decide to go for a cc or possibly refi my student loans. And I like the 2% apy on savings. I haven't tried for a cc or loan yet, so I can't speak on that experience. My only dislike is their website, but that's not a dealbreaker.

Thanks for the info! Good to know about the SP 

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:
... The UW can be stringent!

I was recently denied on the credit side with mid 700 Fico scores. "Too much available credit" I was told. 

Message 9 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Heyo everybody,

I’m currently not a member of any credit unions and I have heard mixed (but mostly positive) things about Alliant. Their VS card is basically my ultimate goal card, but I’m certainly in no position to go for that one ATM. So, my thought was to join to build up some positive history with Alliant and app for the Signature down the road. Is this a good plan? Suggestions? Advice? Warnings lol? 

Alliant was my first credit union, but the credit card I had with them -- a non rewards platinum -- has become worthless due to high interest rate, cash advance fee, and addition of balance transfer fee, and their customer service is very blah. I much prefer NFCU, PenFed, Langley, Unify, Digital, Affinity FCU, and Vantage West.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.