Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma Savings??

tag
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Credit Karma Savings??

So I got an alert from CK and I guess they offer Savings Accounts now? snagged some screenshots from my phone. Have I just been out of the loop?

IMG_6142.png     IMG_6143.png         IMG_6144.pngIMG_6145.png        IMG_6146.png

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Karma Savings??

Oh wow! Everyone is getting in on the savings game!

AU

Message 2 of 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@credit_is_crack wrote:

So I got an alert from CK and I guess they offer Savings Accounts now? snagged some screenshots from my phone. Have I just been out of the loop?

IMG_6142.png     IMG_6143.png         IMG_6144.pngIMG_6145.png        IMG_6146.png

@credit_is_crack.. so did you throw a few $Mill at it?Smiley Very Happy  ...hmmm FDIC insured???

Message 3 of 10
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@credit_is_crack.. so did you throw a few $Mill at it?Smiley Very Happy  ...hmmm FDIC insured???

It's apparently just a face bank and uses other banks to get that FDIC insurance. Since they use multiple banks the insurance can stack. Not sure how they got all the way to 5M but that's how they got more than 250k.

Message 4 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@ToxikPH wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

It's apparently just a face bank and uses other banks to get that FDIC insurance. Since they use multiple banks the insurance can stack. Not sure how they got all the way to 5M but that's how they got more than 250k.

A few solutions:

1. Put the money in one of a few (mostly? entirely?) Massachusetts-based banks that participate in the Depositors Insurance Fund. Unlikely in this case, since there's no cap for DIF and CK's offer is limited at $5M.

2. Partner with 20 or more different banks (not hard at all given CK's scale, and that CK likely handles all the marketing so the banks' costs are low).

3. Partner with one bank and let that bank spread the excess out to other banks.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got an email from CK.  Now they have a $50K drawing if you open a savings account and deposit at least $1 into it.

"Thanks for being a valued Credit Karma member. As a reward, we're giving you early access to Credit Karma Savings and a chance to win up to $50,000!* Open and make a deposit (of at least $1) in your account by October 25th and you'll be automatically entered to win."

From reading the fine print, it's handled by MVB Bank and a quick google search shows they do a soft pull for opening an account.  I'd like confirmation of this since I do NOT want a hard pull (my reports are frozen anyway).  2.03% APY is more than I get at my current CU.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just opened an account because Goldam annoyed me and I needed another high yield APY. Very easy, used most of my Credit Karma profile and connected to my TD Bank account in a matter of seconds. No hard pull by any chance

Message 7 of 10
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Is there a minimum deposit or balance required for the APY?

ETA - Logged in and here is the fine print. Seems legit.

“The Annual Percentage Yield (APY) shown is current as of 10/25/2019. This rate is variable and may change. No minimum deposit to open account. Balance must be at least $0.01 to earn APY. Maximum 6 withdrawals per monthly statement cycle.
1. Banking services provided by MVB Bank, Inc., Member FDIC. Maximum balance and transfer limits apply. Maximum 6 withdrawals per monthly statement cycle.
2. Source: FDIC's national average savings rate as of 10/25/2019.
3. The balance in your savings account may be moved to one or more network banks where it is eligible for FDIC insurance up to $5,000,000 once the funds arrive at a network bank. Actual insured amounts may be lower or adversely affected based on any balances you hold at a network bank. Learn more at: https://www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits.“

Message 8 of 10
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

Oops, didn't realize this was already mentioned Smiley Happy

BK7 DC 1/2/18 • Progress as of 5/10/22:

TCL: $89,350 • If it ain't got rewards, I don't want it Smiley Wink
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hopped on this pretty much as soon as I got the email. Only thing I can't figure out is how to link more than one account to deposit from? I don't think that functionality exists.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.