Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma's Search for Unclaimed Money

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Credit Karma's Search for Unclaimed Money

If you have a CK account they recently added a new feature - Search for Unclaimed Money. While logged in its under Resources on the menu on the top, you search by name & state, and is fast & easy. I did it this morning while downing coffee. Took me a few minutes because I've been around the block - born in WV, grew up in OH, went to college in NY, and have lived in CO, NV, CA, HI before moving to AZ in 2005. It found two unclaimed funds in Las Vegas, 1 from American Family Insurance which is strange as they're still my insurance company and should know where to find me. The other was from PayPal, probably one of those class action lawsuit settlements.

Hey, free money is free $$$$, worth the few minutes time.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Karma's Search for Unclaimed Money

@DaveInAZ wrote:

If you have a CK account they recently added a new feature - Search for Unclaimed Money. While logged in its under Resources on the menu on the top, you search by name & state, and is fast & easy. I did it this morning while downing coffee. Took me a few minutes because I've been around the block - born in WV, grew up in OH, went to college in NY, and have lived in CO, NV, CA, HI before moving to AZ in 2005. It found two unclaimed funds in Las Vegas, 1 from American Family Insurance which is strange as they're still my insurance company and should know where to find me. The other was from PayPal, probably one of those class action lawsuit settlements.

I found that myself last week. I apparently have a small check from the state of Virginia ($1 - $50) from my previous residence waiting for me in the state treasury department. I went ahead and filed the request with them, so I should hear sometime soon (they say to give them up to 12 weeks to process). If one decides to give it a try, be aware that proof of identity and residence will be required.

Message 2 of 19
AllCredit
Frequent Contributor

I tried it yesterday...apparently my follow up skills are too good Smiley LOL...no unclaimed money for me...

Message 3 of 19
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Did they find some $$$ for you? I ended up getting a check for $75.25 from the state of Nevada, where I lived 1999-2005. I would never have thought of checking if I had any unclaimed money, great service!

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried searching my last name. Nothing for me but my mom had one account and my brother showed 7 (multiple were in the Greater than $50 category). Nice for him!
Message 5 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Thanks for the valuable info.

I followed up on your tip and picked up $400 I didn't know I had Smiley Happy

Sweet

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Found money for both my husband and me, but no amounts listed. I filled out the form to find out.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Woohoo three things for me from the state of Virginia!

Do you guys send the form and copies of proof snail mail or email?  Not wild about id and social going through email.

Message 8 of 19
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Woohoo three things for me from the state of Virginia!

Do you guys send the form and copies of proof snail mail or email?  Not wild about id and social going through email.

On the State of Nevada website I was able to enter ID & social proof on their secure website. If Virginia wants you to send them proof of ID & Scial Security # I would send it via snail mail, NOT unsecure email.

Message 9 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Legit at least, it found money that I knew the State of Texas and others had for me... also found some money from a local university that I'd officiated some matches at previously but apparently didn't cash or otherwise didn't get the checks.  Probably going to wait till January on them unless my gig ends sooner, guessing it will be a better tax situation next year.

        
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.