Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Unions / Moving Money

tag
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Credit Unions / Moving Money

So I'm probably just dumb and a lot of this is probably user error, but hey I've been making it work ...

My checking, DD, and some certs are at NFCU.  I just opened a DCU savings account because why the heck not if I'm going to make 6% on 1k.  I went to move the money from NFCU, but it appeared I could only transfer to an external checking account?  From the DCU side I didn't see how to even set up an external account, but admittedly did not spend a ton of time on it.

I really don't want to have a bunch of random checking accounts.  So, I basically use Alliant as my CU hub for any manual transfers between institutions because they have a very simple set up for external transfers.

I am trying to stash little piles of pennies in CU accounts with good rates and then funnel the profits back to my regular HYSA at PenFed and Alliant.  So if there are other CUs I could be doing this at, please holla back.  

Thanks!

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Credit Unions / Moving Money

@recoveringfrombk7   For DCU, go to the Transfers tab and select Cash Edge. Doesn't make any sense but that is where you will go to set up your external accounts to do an ACH pull into DCU.

I follow @Gmood1  bread crumbs. He has the nose for discovering these great CUs and where to stash your pennies.

See Redstone FCU. Brighter Day Savings. 2.52% APY for balances up to $2,500

Message 2 of 26
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@AllZero thank you!! And thanks in advance to @Gmood1 now I know where to send some more pennies

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 3 of 26
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Message 4 of 26
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

Here's another one https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/Service-Credit-Union-membership/td-p/5901669

@AllZero 

Looks like Redstone is a HP.  I just joined DCU and PenFed this month.  I've been reading that it's good to give some time between?  Maybe after my Flagship app in 91/3 I'll add these 2.  

Message 5 of 26
AllZero
Mega Contributor

YEMV. Redstone was a SP for me. I reiterated to them I only wanted to become a member for savings account. No credit products. I had my 3B frozen. They requested thaw on Experian, which I did. Membership went smoothly without HP.

Message 6 of 26
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@AllZero I thought CU apps needed to be spaced out because of Chex hits but maybe I am just misunderstanding what I've read?

Message 7 of 26
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@recoveringfrombk7 wrote:

@AllZero I thought CU apps needed to be spaced out because of Chex hits but maybe I am just misunderstanding what I've read?

@recoveringfrombk7  If the CU uses ChexSystems, yes it is recommended to space out your membership applications. Once every 3 months should suffice to minimize membership denial.

Message 8 of 26
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@AllZero thanks a lot for taking the time to help!

Message 9 of 26
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@recoveringfrombk7 wrote:

@AllZero thanks a lot for taking the time to help!

You're welcome. Hope to read of your success!

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.