Credit builder loan that can be paid off 95% immediately

tag
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Credit builder loan that can be paid off 95% immediately

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@AllZero wrote:

I am not on here very much anymore but can I confirm that Navy still does credit builder loans and advances the next payment due date?    I want to do a 40k, 15 year credit builder and pay it down to $400.    My auto loan pays off in three years and I want a long term backup.   Will this work?  15 years with no HP???

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished   From NFCU website, they do $25,000 minimum loan amount for 61 to 84 months and $30,000 minimum loan amount for 85 to 180 months

https://www.navyfederal.org/loans-cards/personal-loans.html

Thanks Mr. Zero.   I just wanted to make sure that Navy still advances the next due date.   I haven't opened any new accounts in two years, no inquiries, etc., and my goal is to get the highest possibe FICO scores when my BK falls off at 10 years (I'm not at about 7.5 years), so I don't want any new accounts or inquiries after two years prior.   I want to be a virgin again (or something like that.  Ha!).   No seriously I just want to triple check that Navy still advances the next due date.   I have a 50K visa with them at 5.99% and a 15K credit line, but I have never done an installment loan with them.

There has been no reported change to their SSL. As it stands, no HP and paying in advance will not shorten the term.

However, most do the 5 year (60 month) term on the SSL. You will be in uncharted territory on the 15 year term. I would guess the 15 year term would behave the same. If you proceed, let us know how it turns out.

Message 21 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@folks19 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
US Bank personal loans work too I think

I think USBank does but the total cost of the loan is higher with them than w a CU if I read it correctly at their website. I think there's a monthly fee or something. Just double check the total cost of the bank loan versus at a CU. 

Even if you're not a member of NFCU or Alliant and can't find a way to join, know many CU's offer an SSL and you likely can join at least a good local CU. 🙏🏻

@Anonymous I still didn't find any CU that offers this type of loan since I posted this thread 8 months ago! It's doesn't seem like a product that any topical CU just offers.

NFCU does still offer them. I just got a $501 SSL for 12 months. If you don't qualify to join NFCU, investigate other CU's. 

Some of them bury them a bit. They are secured personal loans. Here's an example. It's not cited in the web page description of their loans. However, when I go into the Application, THERE is where there is a Secured Personal Loan option. 

https://www.cusocal.org/Borrow/Personal-Loans

No prepayment penalty. I don't know 🤷‍♀️ if that will give you the option to advance pay without the payments changing, the number of them. But it should. Before joining the CU, phone and make inquiries. Do you offer Personal Secured Loans? Inquire about $ amounts and number of months. If I pay it down a bit early, say with my tax refund, does the loan life change? 🤔 🙏🏻

You may not be able to find it via Google search. However, if you go into the Personal Loan section of a Credit Union you're interested in and poke around further there. Look for a Secured Loan option. 

Message 22 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

And keep in mind it doesn’t have to be secured. Secured or unsecured works. just make sure there’s no pre-payment penalty and that the maturity date does not change if extra payments are made. Plenty of credit unions offer them, you just have to look. there are some links in the Scoring Primer for various products.
Message 23 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
And keep in mind it doesn’t have to be secured. Secured or unsecured works. just make sure there’s no pre-payment penalty and that the maturity date does not change if extra payments are made. Plenty of credit unions offer them, you just have to look. there are some links in the Scoring Primer for various products.

👋🏻👋🏻👋🏻 ⚠️ The Secured Loan is a SP because you are borrowing your own money. That is not likely the case if unsecured. If unsecured, it may prompt a HP. Just ask before running it. Then you'll know and can manage as you deem best for your needs. 

Message 24 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

👋🏻👋🏻👋🏻 ⚠️ The Secured Loan is a SP because you are borrowing your own money. That is not likely the case if unsecured. If unsecured, it may prompt a HP. Just ask before running it. Then you'll know and can manage as you deem best for your needs. 

@Anonymous an unsecured loan can be HP depending on lender. Secured could be SP, depending on lender. But HP points come back in 365 days, nit a big deal. 

Message 25 of 60
USMC_Winger
Frequent Contributor

I just want to triple check that Navy still advances the next due date.

I can confirm that Navy Fed still advances the next due date for the next payment in accordance with the SSL Technique.  I took out an SSL for $3K for 60 months on Mar. 17th, paid it down to $267 on Mar. 18th, and my next payment of $20.22 is due on July 27, 2025, more than 4 years from now.  It was an SP.

FICOs:

Message 26 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous an unsecured loan can be HP depending on lender. Secured could be SP, depending on lender. But HP points come back in 365 days, nit a big deal. 

We were referencing the NFCU at that point. It's a SP. Just flagging that should he go from Secured to Unsecured, it's likely a HP. A factor to consider in selecting what best fits his needs. 🙏🏻

Message 27 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

We were referencing the NFCU at that point. It's a SP. Just flagging that should he go from Secured to Unsecured, it's likely a HP. A factor to consider in selecting what best fits his needs. 🙏🏻

@Anonymous my misunderstanding. I thought we were speaking of loans that worked in general. when you referenced a different credit union, it threw me off. I'm sorry. 

Message 28 of 60
folks19
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous I'm aware of NFCU loan, but I'm not a member of NFCU and I'm not eligible to become one. Not every secured personal loan will let you pay early without shortening the loan. I looked up at least 100 credit unions to verify this. Thanks for that link though which I'll definitely be taking a look at.

Also be aware that no prepayment penalty does not mean that the term of the loan will stay the same. In most cases where I found that there's no prepayment penalty, the term of the loan was still shortened.

If you have any advice on how to join NFCU, that will also be helpful, but it's not even worthwhile talking about relatives and roommates who served because they don't exist..

Message 29 of 60
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@folks19, my understanding is, unless you or someone in your immediate family served, NFCU's charter does not allow them to sign you up as a member.  Many of us are lucky enough to be members of military families (like my late father-Navy, me-USMC, my son-Navy), so we can join NFCU pretty much any time we choose.  That said, I initially joined PenFed, it was just too easy to join there; I may still join NFCU as my son wants me to join up and my daughter's significant other, probably soon to be fiance and then husband, is also ex-Navy, and I'm sure she'd want me to join as well.

As for the Credit Builder loan, PenFed offers a "Share Loan" which possibly allows the pre-payment of 91% of the noted without shortening the term.  I say "possibly" because I haven't seen any confirmation on this forum of that, however, in a discussion with one of PenFed's CSRs, the understanding I got from her was the term was not shortened.  I currently have my security money "aging" for the required 30-days over there and will initiate a Share Loan during the second week of April, so I'll report back the results.  I suppose if the pre-payment doesn't work at PenFed, then "Hello, NFCU..."

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 30 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.