Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU PIN q

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DCU PIN q

Hi good people, delurking to ask if you've ever been asked for your ATM pin by a DCU CSR? 

Chagrined to say it took me more than 24 hours to realize they had (and I had so easily complied). Bad bad. Doubly so because the CSR asked me to hold twice while she contacted another group. Even then I was oblivious. Yikes for me. And not good of them.

I called them about a Visa and the wait was so long of course so I agreed when the automated system offered a call back. I verified my identity to the automated system.

When called back, the CSR asked for my member number and said "because this is a call back" needed my ATM PIN.

DCU never liked me much when I first joined, and I've thought of closing many times, so I don't even have a fully maxed savings account with them and don't recall ever calling them. I've always used email. But now they don't answer emails substantively anymore and request calls or secure messages and my secured messages have failed every time.

Because they like me better now (yay me), I've had to call twice in the past month and this happened on the second call with the call back. 

What do you think? (Other than I need to get smaht.)

The agent did what I requested and I saw the change in my account.

So it was really a DCU agent. Maybe.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DCU PIN q

From the DCU new members guide:

"No one at DCU knows your PIN and no one will ask you for it."

https://www.dcu.org/learn/member-resources/new-members-guide.html

I would call DCU and request them to send you a new PIN. 

And yeah, their customer service leaves much to be desired these days...

Message 2 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

From the DCU new members guide:

"No one at DCU knows your PIN and no one will ask you for it."

https://www.dcu.org/learn/member-resources/new-members-guide.html

I would call DCU and request them to send you a new PIN. 

"And yeah, their customer service leaves much to be desired these days..."

Ya, they never got back to me about my application to join... I am not impressed.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, if anyone else needs to ask for a new PIN, note that you need to send them an actual letter with your signature, snail or fax only. The fax number on their guide is incorrect or obsolete. The fax number in their contact us section seems to work. I'll confirm if I get a new PIN. Though if the CSRs can see PINs in plain text every time you call, not sure there is a point. 

I will say I do like DCU. They are working class friendly in my view. They have products designed for poor and working people. You can tell sometimes when other credit unions seek high income members. Not that DCU doesn't (dunno), just that they still cater to the working class.

I fixed my secured messages (with the kind help of a CSR): you have to empty your cache twice. Once is not enough. Wonder if this will work for people who can't sign in after joining. Fresh fresh chrome bb. 

I've yet to tell them about this PIN complaint -- I am asking them for money after all. It's uncomfortable to complain. 

Gracias.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That sounds like a very unpleasant experience...

As for the working class comment, DCU hasn't actually been all that generous with me. It's NFCU that has blown away any expectations I had about what CUs are supposed to stand for. DCU's savings rate gives me incentive to use the account but their $1K credit card that's been stuck at $1K for 2 years is not impressive to me at all. 

Message 5 of 9
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

That's actually a good question @Anonymous  because there was a recent DCU email warning that there have been many spam calls from people pretending to be from DCU, and that DCU will never ask for your pin. HOWEVER, I'm pretty sure I recall being asked for my pin on previous calls. Of course it's been over a year since I've had to call them, so maybe this is a newer policy?

Message 6 of 9
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, if anyone else needs to ask for a new PIN, note that you need to send them an actual letter with your signature, snail or fax only. The fax number on their guide is incorrect or obsolete. The fax number in their contact us section seems to work. I'll confirm if I get a new PIN. Though if the CSRs can see PINs in plain text every time you call, not sure there is a point. 

I will say I do like DCU. They are working class friendly in my view. They have products designed for poor and working people. You can tell sometimes when other credit unions seek high income members. Not that DCU doesn't (dunno), just that they still cater to the working class.

I fixed my secured messages (with the kind help of a CSR): you have to empty your cache twice. Once is not enough. Wonder if this will work for people who can't sign in after joining. Fresh fresh chrome bb. 

I've yet to tell them about this PIN complaint -- I am asking them for money after all. It's uncomfortable to complain. 

Gracias.

You can also get a new PIN in-person at a branch, so you don't have to deal with the snail mail option if you are a MA or NH resident. Inconveniences such at this are the cost being a remote/online-only user of a bank or CU.

I don't think that they cater to poorer or richer people per se. They're just another CU option for people local to MA and NH, and any services they offer that appeal to people from specific demographic are either cooincidental or incidentally appealing to those demographics rather than being targeted to them. I am a bit curious to hear which services you think stand out as being working class friendly, though.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone.

I got my PIN today! Except it's not a new pin. Oy that little pang of defeat to see that rather theatrical letter with the PIN hiding under a little tab + multiple warnings about tampering.

I guess my letter/request did not have the magical incantation. 

Sure, maybe the working class thing is entirely subjective, and about what one senses on the website of a credit union browsing their products, like the presence of both a secured loan and credit builder loan, low auto loan rates, or what would I say if someone like me asked me for a recommendation, etc.

Then there is an actual telltale product like the NCUA-regulated payday alternative loan that everyone is approved for at DCU. I don't see First Tech, for example, offering one. 

DCU has apparently elected to offer a PAL II flavor now (they can't offer both): the 10% 1-year term PAL vs their previous 6-month term 21.6% PAL.

An example of a credit union offering the 6-month PAL is USAlliance. Notice their APR is 27.5 and they have an upfront $18 fee, making their loan a ~34% APR vs DCU's former 21.6%. I got a Quick Loan from DCU a couple of years ago before they had the new version. The new terms are of course better.

Not ragging on USAlliance. They've launched a neo-credit union debit card for the un/der-banked with a nifty name.

Message 8 of 9
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:

That's actually a good question @Anonymous  because there was a recent DCU email warning that there have been many spam calls from people pretending to be from DCU, and that DCU will never ask for your pin. HOWEVER, I'm pretty sure I recall being asked for my pin on previous calls. Of course it's been over a year since I've had to call them, so maybe this is a newer policy?

I received this same email/warning about people calling as them and asking for information that they would actually never ask you for!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.