Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dave Ramsey

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dave Ramsey

Anyone know much about this guy just recently found out about him and have been listening on the radio for a month now. I certainly love his book which I bought today

Only problem is that he's against credit cards oh well I'll pretend I didn't read that part because I'm off to a good start
52 REPLIES 52
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Re: Dave Ramsey

Some of his methods and reasoning I believe are correct. Some I Do not.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 2 of 53
william23
Regular Contributor

I've worked for many banks including citi, Barclays and small credit unions. All I have to say is this:

If you dicipline yourself credit cards are brilliant. You are going to spend the money anyways, why not get rewarded for doing so? Pay in full, avoid interest and trust me my friend it is so worth it!
Message 3 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

I listen to him often he's blunt and honest to the callers which I like. Something I disagree with like stopping ur 401k to pay off a debt etc but most of the things he says make sense and yes he's against cards and the whole I'm gonna pay for this stuff anyways so why not get points 

Message 4 of 53
Open123
Super Contributor

Entertaining talk show host, but I wouldn't take financial advice from him.  In my view, his take on finances can only be characterized as obtuse, much like "Suze Ormans" of the world.

Message 5 of 53
someg33k
Established Contributor

I have listened to him quite a bit. Some of what he says makes great sense and I agree with. Other stuff not so much..

Telling the average person not to use credit cards is not realistic. When my car breaks down unless I have cash in the bank my credit card saves the day so I can continue getting to work. Dave Ramsey has a net worth of 55 mil so of course this would never be a problem for him. Easy to bark that from his 55 million dollar ivory tower.

IMO 50% great advice and 50% BS.

Message 6 of 53
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

Years ago, banks would happily give you 5% or more on savings and credit cards gave you zero rewards. Now the roles have reversed. I look at rewards like interest earned.

The major difference is the credit card rewards don't compound. My opinion of Ramsey, is he's a little dated. 

Message 7 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

By using his teachings you will save and get out of the red, but you won't save as much as a rewards card and paying off every month. use his method to get out of debt and then pay off lets say a Quicksilver card every month for your montly cell cable utility etc. bills to reap in a 1.5%
Message 8 of 53
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

SmorgasBoard topic.. Cya there.

Message 9 of 53
NRB525
Super Contributor

Dave Ramsey's main audience are folks in debt. They are paying interest costs. In order to get out of debt, to reduce and eliminate that interest cost, his methods have to be simple and direct.

The participants here have often gotten beyond that point, are usually paying less interest. With a goal of improving FICO score, that means this group is often not in heavy debt.

The discussion when you have options to choose how to pay for something is different from the discussion when you don't have any room left on the cards in your wallet and the collectors are dialing for dollars. Don't diss Dave for being consistently direct to his audience.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.