Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied 3 bank accounts

tag
IcyCool7227
Regular Contributor

Denied 3 bank accounts

In the past week I have been denied 3 different bank accounts. The Digital Federal CU that has a 6.17% savings APY up to $1000 - highest I've ever seen. BrioDirect savings of 2.46% APY. Then Varo with a checking account and 2.12% APY savings that you open after the checking acct. is approved. I don't know exactly why I got denied as I have no negative banking history. DCFU said there was a delinquency in the Chex Systems. I'm waiting for my Consumer report to come from Chexsystems which should be here tomm. or Friday. But I don't understand what that has to do with my bad credit that I've posted about elsewhere on this board. I am not asking for credit from these banks at all. I like the Varo account because it rounds up and pouts the money into a daily savings account. I can then transfer that amount to my Vio savings account and the DCFU to earn even more interest that way. I also opened up a Chime bank account earlier this year. Is it too many inquiries? What could be the problem? Varo told me they don't look at my credit report yet they do a soft pull for security so is that a lie? I did close my 10 year old U.S. Bank account last month with a zero balance - was that a mistake to do? Do these other banks look at my oldest account? Please help.

As of: 3/28/24:

EQ: 785 (prev. 778 on 2/6/24; 773 on 1/26/24 & 750 on 1/7/24 & 626 on 6/7/24 & 652 in April 2023) - FICO 8
EX: 763 (prev. 755 on 2/6/24; 753 on 1/26/24 & 732 on 1/7/24 & 643 on 6/7/24 & 619 in April 2023) - FICO 8
TU: 759 (prev. 748 on 2/6/24; 744 on 1/26/24 & 689 on 1/7/24 & 6/7/24 & 654 in April 2023) - CreditKarma

Have:
- Amazon Prime Store Card: $5,000
- Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards: $1,200
- Chase Freedom Flex: $500
- Discover it Cashback: $2,000
- Kohl’s Charge: $3,000
- Super Cash: Limit varies based on debit balance - doesn't show up in accounts anymore though on CRs.
- Zolve: Shows up but have not set up yet as no money has been put on the account.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied 3 bank accounts

When you have an issue with a bank(s) they report generally to chexsystems. That will stop other banks from opening A checking or savings account.
Message 2 of 13
Medic981
Valued Contributor

If you have an issue with a derogatory on ChexSystems and you are unable to clear it up easily, you may need to find an FI what offers a second chance checking account.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 3 of 13
privacyadvocate69
Contributor

Maybe they just don't want you as a customer?  Do they have any reason to?

• Do you have a lot of money to deposit?  
  • Can you borrow a lot of money from them?  
  • How are they going to make money from you?  
  • Why do they want to acquire you as a customer?

Try applying for a checking account somewhere with a very low interest rate. If you get approved for it, I think you will know the answer. 

Message 4 of 13
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

@IcyCool7227 wrote:

In the past week I have been denied 3 different bank accounts. The Digital Federal CU that has a 6.17% savings APY up to $1000 - highest I've ever seen. BrioDirect savings of 2.46% APY. Then Varo with a checking account and 2.12% APY savings that you open after the checking acct. is approved. I don't know exactly why I got denied as I have no negative banking history. DCFU said there was a delinquency in the Chex Systems. I'm waiting for my Consumer report to come from Chexsystems which should be here tomm. or Friday. But I don't understand what that has to do with my bad credit that I've posted about elsewhere on this board. I am not asking for credit from these banks at all. I like the Varo account because it rounds up and pouts the money into a daily savings account. I can then transfer that amount to my Vio savings account and the DCFU to earn even more interest that way. I also opened up a Chime bank account earlier this year. Is it too many inquiries? What could be the problem? Varo told me they don't look at my credit report yet they do a soft pull for security so is that a lie? I did close my 10 year old U.S. Bank account last month with a zero balance - was that a mistake to do? Do these other banks look at my oldest account? Please help.

So you have a Chime checking account only? If DCU informed you that there was a delinquency on Chexsystems then you should wait until you get your report as well as the denial letters from DCU/Brio/Varo to find out what it is.

Keep in mind, even if you cleared up an overdraft, it most likely would still have been reported. If there are enough red flags, such as frequenct overdrafts, excessive, recent inquiries for new deposit accounts and a lot of recently opened/closed deposit accounts, a new financial institution may feel that you are either too much of a risk or will not be profitable enough for them. 

I doubt that these banks denied you for a new deposit account based off what you describe as your bad credit. Most will go off of Chexsystems or Early Warning Systems (EWS). A lot of people have no idea that their checking account mishaps get reported there. 

In the meantime...do not apply for any other deposit accounts until you know what the issue is on your report and have fixed it.

Message 5 of 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Most likely it is Chex's inquiries or chex's score and no deragtory item at all. Banks and CU's are super sensitive to chex's inquiry recently.  If you have open alot of DDA accounts aka checking/savings account recently that is most likely your reason if you have nothing bad on your chex's report.  Going through that nightmare now and frooze my chexs so it doesnt accidently get pulled for at least 6 months.  Best of luck with chex's as they stink to deal with

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know about the other two but DCU is sensitive to Chex inquiries for sure.

Message 7 of 13
GApeachy
Super Contributor

So does this stuff fall off like derogs on a cr?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 8 of 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@GApeachy wrote:

So does this stuff fall off like derogs on a cr?

5 years i believe

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^ correct. I ordered my Chex report last month and it said right on it that derogs fall off after five years.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.