Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Checking deposit cash?

tag
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Discover Checking deposit cash?

Is it a huge hassle to deposit cash in a Discover checking account? I recently opened one and want to close my account at my brick-and-mortar bank. I'm curious as to how difficult it is to deposit cash. Any personal experiences?

Thank you!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Checking deposit cash?

I like Discover savings and checking.  But I have never had paper money that I wanted to deposit into it.

If you have a need for cash transactions, what many people do is keep your local brick-and-mortar savings account open for when you need to do that, and then do an ACH transfer from the B&M to the online account.

You may find this article helpful:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/deposit-cash-online-bank/

Message 2 of 11
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Yeah, I read that article a couple days ago. I actually have only a checking account at my brick-and-mortar bank. It charges maintenance fees which I'm looking to avoid. That's why ideally I would close my account there and transition to only the Discover accounts. But I may want to deposit cash at one time or another and would like to hear if there's an easy-ish way to do so. 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about a savings account at your B&M bank -- or some other local B&M CU or bank.  You can probably get one with no maintenance fees or a low minimum balance.

Have you asked Discover what methods they suggest?

Message 4 of 11
creditfan
Established Contributor

check your local credit union to see if they have free checking account

Message 5 of 11
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What about a savings account at your B&M bank -- or some other local B&M CU or bank.  You can probably get one with no maintenance fees or a low minimum balance.

Have you asked Discover what methods they suggest?

Haven't asked Discover, but I will. I guess that is the best way LOL

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a friend who works for Discover. He opened a checking acct there and even he said it sucks and ended up closing it. Restrictive and SLOW.

Message 7 of 11
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

I have used Discover checking and savings for over a year now and love them. I did call them and ask, and there is no way to deposit cash. What I do is have my direct deposit go there, and if I need to deposit cash I have a brick and mortar fee-free bank right outside my neighborhood; I deposit there and transfer or write a check to my Discover account.
BK7 DC 1/2/18 • Progress as of 5/10/22:

TCL: $89,350 • If it ain't got rewards, I don't want it Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 11
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@CashBackQueen wrote:
I have used Discover checking and savings for over a year now and love them. I did call them and ask, and there is no way to deposit cash. What I do is have my direct deposit go there, and if I need to deposit cash I have a brick and mortar fee-free bank right outside my neighborhood; I deposit there and transfer or write a check to my Discover account.

Awesome. Thanks! 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Roadtrip to Greenwood, DE, anybody? https://www.mydiscoverbank.com/index.html

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.