cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Alliant Unsecured loan still work for SSL?

tag
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Does Alliant Unsecured loan still work for SSL?

I was active in this forum 4 years ago and during that time I got a huge credit boost using SSL from Alliant. My SSL is about to expire so I'll need a new SSL and was wondering if Alliant Unsecured Loans are still a good option.

I have absolutely no way to qualify for NFCU since my parents are immigrants and I have no military connections. I also can't qualify for SSFCU since I'm not in the right states.

@Anonymous 

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
16 REPLIES 16
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does Alliant Unsecured loan still work for SSL?

@Subexistence wrote:

I was active in this forum 4 years ago and during that time I got a huge credit boost using SSL from Alliant. My SSL is about to expire so I'll need a new SSL and was wondering if Alliant Unsecured Loans are still a good option.

I have absolutely no way to qualify for NFCU since my parents are immigrants and I have no military connections. I also can't qualify for SSFCU since I'm not in the right states.

@Anonymous 

I would imagine that it would. The only difference between unsecured and secured loan was that the secured loan was backed by a deposit in case of default.

Make sure the unsecured loan has verbiage indicating that there is no penalty for early repayment and you should be good to go. 

I do not have any experience with an Alliant unsecured loan, so I couldn't tell you if, after paying 92% of it off, that future payments are dated years in advance like in the case of the unsecured version. But why would it be different from the unsecured?

Hopefully someone with first hand experience with an unsecured Alliant loan can assist you. 

Message 2 of 17
USMC_Winger
Frequent Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

@Anonymous 

I recognize your username, @Subexistence!  You had the 807 FICO 8 score when you turned 20.  Great job!

I haven't seen any posts complaining that the unsecured Alliant loans don't work for the SSL Technique.  They probably still do.  Alternatively, Pentagon Federal Credit Union SSLs work for the SSL Technique, and you should be able to join that CU, too.

FYI, CreditGuyInDixie hasn't posted in these forums for the last 17 months.

FICOs:

Message 3 of 17
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@BearsCubsOtters wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

@Anonymous 

I would imagine that it would. The only difference between unsecured and secured loan was that the secured loan was backed by a deposit in case of default.

Make sure the unsecured loan has verbiage indicating that there is no penalty for early repayment and you should be good to go. 

I do not have any experience with an Alliant unsecured loan, so I couldn't tell you if, after paying 92% of it off, that future payments are dated years in advance like in the case of the unsecured version. But why would it be different from the unsecured?

Hopefully someone with first hand experience with an unsecured Alliant loan can assist you. 

I was thinking the same but would prefer some confirmation.

History of my credit
Message 4 of 17
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@USMC_Winger wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

@Anonymous 

I recognize your username, @Subexistence!  You had the 807 FICO 8 score when you turned 20.  Great job!

I haven't seen any posts complaining that the unsecured Alliant loans don't work for the SSL Technique.  They probably still do.  Alternatively, Pentagon Federal Credit Union SSLs work for the SSL Technique, and you should be able to join that CU, too.

I honestly wish I had more time to browse this forum but I'm too occupied with my Full time job and Graduate school. I was active here a ton during my college years. We are all going to Miss CreditGuyInDixie.

Do you have any threads on the Pentagon Feder Credit Union SSL? I'd actually be interested in that especially if I can avoid the inquiry that would come with Alliant unsecured SSL. 

History of my credit
Message 5 of 17
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

@USMC_Winger wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

@Anonymous 

I honestly wish I had more time to browse this forum but I'm too occupied with my Full time job and Graduate school. I was active here a ton during my college years. We are all going to Miss CreditGuyInDixie.

Do you have any threads on the Pentagon Feder Credit Union SSL? I'd actually be interested in that especially if I can avoid the inquiry that would come with Alliant unsecured SSL. 

Take a look at this thread:

I currently have an SSL with them and it works great.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 6 of 17
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

@USMC_Winger wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

@Anonymous 

Take a look at this thread:

I currently have an SSL with them and it works great.

I just read it and Penfed definitely seems like what I'm looking for!!

History of my credit
Message 7 of 17
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@AllZero @SouthJamaica 

Would you mind if I updated this sheet of yours to include Penfed?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C86xZUbOlPK1XBSt9cutKQ8rU8ZwRAiVbpqHWA4J-tg/edit#gid=1777354...

History of my credit
Message 8 of 17
USMC_Winger
Frequent Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

Try reading this thread starting from late February this year about PenFed SSLs and Alliant unsecured loans.  Since you're inquiry-reluctant, I've read many posts that indicated an HP to join PenFed, but the most recent posts I've read reported SPs to join as a member.  So, you may want to lock your CRs before applying, just in case.

Also, I think you need to deposit the secured funds at least 30 days before you can get approval for the SSL at PenFed.  Can someone more knowledgeable with PenFed please confirm?

FICOs:

Message 9 of 17
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@USMC_Winger wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

Try reading this thread starting from late February this year about PenFed SSLs and Alliant unsecured loans.  Since you're inquiry-reluctant, I've read many posts that indicated an HP to join PenFed, but the most recent posts I've read reported SPs to join as a member.  So, you may want to lock your CRs before applying, just in case.  Also, I think you need to deposit the secured funds at least 30 days before you can get approval for the SSL at PenFed.  Can someone more knowledgeable with PenFed please confirm?

In the last 9 months I've done three startups with PenFed:

• Opened my account (i.e. became a member): SPs from EQ and EX
  • Applied for the Platinum Rewards Signature Visa: HP from EQ, SP from EX
  • Applied for a $3,000 SSL: no pulls of any sort
I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.