cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Chase Checking help with odds of Chase CC?

tag
kittycreditmeow
Frequent Contributor

Does Chase Checking help with odds of Chase CC?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this topic but I'm just curious if opening a Chase checking account has any positive impact on eventually getting a credit card through Chase? Like let's say I open a checking account through Chase and I maintain a good relationship with them for a year or two, would this help my odds of getting a CC through them. 

I think I may be on there crap list because of a bankruptcy, I didn't burn them for much, less than $2,000 but I know they aren't very forgiving. So I thought maybe I'd attempt to open a checking account and go that route if it would help restablish a relationship with them. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Does Chase Checking help with odds of Chase CC?

@kittycreditmeow 

When was your BK? Chase has a LONG memory and I don't think the amount matters too much.

Although I  don't think getting a checking account will improve your odds , but your BK date is the real gauge to use.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 6
kittycreditmeow
Frequent Contributor

BK Ch 7 discharged Nov 1 2019. I know I don't qualify for a CC with them right now, I don't even dare to try. 

Message 3 of 6
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@kittycreditmeow wrote:

BK Ch 7 discharged Nov 1 2019. I know I don't qualify for a CC with them right now, I don't even dare to try. 

Chase generally won't approve until your BK is completely off of your reports. A lot of people that burned them can't even get back in well after that even. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 4 of 6
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@kittycreditmeow wrote:

They wouldn't touch you under any circumstances as long as you had a BK reporting even if they weren't IIB.

It would not surprise me if it took another 10+ years before they would seriously consider extending you unsecured credit.

I would not trust a positive outcome of a prequalification as the prequal checks do not rigorously account for BK status.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 6
iced
Valued Contributor

Will a checking account help? Almost certainly no.

Will a past BK hurt you? Yes, but it's not forever. I burned them in a BK around 20 years ago, but we've been BFFs for about 7 years now. I didn't try before then (had a 'no cards' period for 8-10 years where I walked away from credit altogether), but it's possible I could have gotten in the day after the BK fell off my report, maybe sooner.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.