Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't be stupid like me and fund your DCU account with a credit card

tag
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Don't be stupid like me and fund your DCU account with a credit card

I recently obtained DCU membership and made my $10 donation, and $5 deposit into savings.

I did a little searching in the forums to see if it would code as a cash advance, but didn't see anything recent. Now I see I was using the wrong search terms because "DCU Funding" comes back with a warning from 2014: Funding a DCU account will code as a cash advance. I don't see anything more recent than that, so I'm posting this as a warning to others. 

I just took a look at my Capital One account online, and I see two transactions ($5 and $10) and two $10 cash advance fees as well. Smiley Mad

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Don't be stupid like me and fund your DCU account with a credit card

I'm sorry this happened to you.  Smiley Sad

FWIW, there's a great DoC article with a list of many banks/CUs and how their funding codes:  http://www.doctorofcredit.com/does-funding-a-bank-account-with-a-credit-card-count-as-a-purchase-or-...

There's no entry in the article for DCU, but down in the comments there are a couple of people who had the same experience as you, so you're definitely not alone.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 2 of 3
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Don't be stupid like me and fund your DCU account with a credit card

Ouch!

Did you have the option of using a debit card to fund your account?

The interest starts accruing immediately for cash advances on the cc, so you might want to pay it off immediately!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.