Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evansville Teachers FCU changing name to Liberty FCU

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Evansville Teachers FCU changing name to Liberty FCU

Evansville Teachers FCU, which acquired Liberty FCU a while back, accounced that it's changing its name to Liberty FCU in September.

I think it's a shame. I think there's something special about credit unions having "Teachers" or "Educators" in their name.

But it seems to be a trend that credit unions change their name to reflect their expanding fields of membership.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

Re: Evansville Teachers FCU changing name to Liberty FCU

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Evansville Teachers FCU, which acquired Liberty FCU a while back, accounced that it's changing its name to Liberty FCU in September.

I think it's a shame. I think there's something special about credit unions having "Teachers" or "Educators" in their name.

But it seems to be a trend that credit unions change their name to reflect their expanding fields of membership.

I agree, they seem to be going for more bland institutional names, or those which are disassociated from their history. Some examples that I think detract from the unique character of their original names are New Mexico Educators FCU becoming Nusenda CU (which sounds like a pharmaceutical product yuck), and Fort Knox FCU becoming Abound CU. 

Message 2 of 14
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yes, a lot of formerly "captive" CUs have busted their chains and are reaching for wide memberships. My CU for 20+ years, now known as "Elements Financial" is another example. As I find CUs preferrable to banks because most everything is free, banks should be concerned, I think.

Message 3 of 14
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

While reading the email a certain jingle was on repeat in my head... Ha!

"Liberty Liberty...Liberty" 

[4/24] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1-2%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 3, TU 2. AoOA=15.8y, AoYA=8m.
TCL $678.5K: Personal $562.5K, Business $116K.
Message 4 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@PullingMeSoftly wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I agree, they seem to be going for more bland institutional names, or those which are disassociated from their history. Some examples that I think detract from the unique character of their original names are New Mexico Educators FCU becoming Nusenda CU (which sounds like a pharmaceutical product yuck), and Fort Knox FCU becoming Abound CU. 

Nassau Educators changing its name to Jovia.

Message 5 of 14
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Well if they indeed have and also changed the name yet on their Co-Op Branches i'll soon see it. They are very close in Owensboro Kentucky and i go there quite frequently. Funny thing is when first opened ETFCU i actually applied for regular membership and was approved with Liberty Financial which was a mortgage arm of them, and was only across the street. Another funny matter is that trying for a card from them twice and shot down twice while NFCU and PenFed and others smoked their doors massively in comparison and have ever since. 

Odd rub is that i worked my ever living tail off since 1976 in that state of Kentucky and onward but i found ETFCU such a cheap tight-wad institution and i dare say bias for some unknown reason. I gave up on them while others generously accepted me, and not just offered but came through with impressive results. Not sure it is that well run or even managed by competent professionals as they make themselves out to be. 

But no matter, they are for general purposes a beneficial Co-Op and that service alone is proven useful to deposit/withdraw from external Credit Unions states away with ease. 

I now only keep a $20 membership savings simply for the convenience of using their in-branch Co-Op services.

I just live across the OHIO bridge in Indiana a scant 30 miles or 30-40 minutes drive. Doubt i will ever do any business with them again besides mentioned since they only wasted my good time/efforts and Inquiries with their mediocre financial products.

Message 6 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

Well if they indeed have and also changed the name yet on their Co-Op Branches i'll soon see it. They are very close to me in Owensboro Kentucky and i am there quite frequently. Funny thing is when i opened my ETFCU i actually applied and was approved with Liberty Financial which was a mortgage arm of them which was only across the street. Another funny matter is that i tried for a card from them twice and shot down twice while NFCU and PenFed smoked their doors massively in comparison and have ever since. 

Odd rub is that i worked my ever living tail off since 1976 in that state of Kentucky and onward but i found ETFCU such a cheap tight-wad institution and i dare say bias for some unknown reason. I gave up on them while others generously accepted me, and not just offered but came through with impressive results. Not sure it is that well run or even managed by competent professionals as they make themselves out to be. 

But no matter, they are for my purposes a beneficial Co-Op and that service alone is proven useful for me to deposit/withdraw from external Credit Unions states away with ease. 

You would have to live down here to see some bias toward their own kind which always seemed ridiculous but so be it Jedi.

I now only keep a $20 membership savings simply for the convenience of using their in-branch Co-Op services.

I just live across the OHIO bridge in Indiana a scant 30 miles or 30-40 minutes drive. Doubt i will ever do any business with them again besides mentioned since they only wasted my good time/efforts and Inquiries with their mediocre financial products.

I find them to be annoying in multiple respects.

1. Their credit cards are managed by PSCU which is incredibly slow for balance transfers... usually take a few weeks, sometimes as much as a month.

2. Setting up a balance transfer is a laborious and unintuitive process, even worse than other PSCU-using credit unions. Among other things, even though you're logged in, they always ask you for your EFTCU credit card account number, and for a holographic signature.

3. External ACH transfers have a ridiculously low limit ($1000).

4. Can't make credit card payment on the website from external account.

5. No online cash advances like some credit unions.

6. No early direct deposit like some credit unions.

The only reason I keep them is that I have a low interest, no fee, credit card account there, which, despite its cumbersome limitations, is better to have than not have.

Message 7 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

1. Their credit cards are managed by PSCU which is incredibly slow for balance transfers... usually take a few weeks, sometimes as much as a month.

2. Setting up a balance transfer is a laborious and unintuitive process, even worse than other PSCU-using credit unions. Among other things, even though you're logged in, they always ask you for your EFTCU credit card account number, and for a holographic signature.

The only reason I keep them is that I have a low interest, no fee, credit card account there, which, despite its cumbersome limitations, is better to have than not have.

Good to know.   I have them for Vertical Checking, which is certainly among best in class.   They were also very helpful when I needed to fight with another credit union!   

Message 8 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Good to know.   I have them for Vertical Checking, which is certainly among best in class.   They were also very helpful when I needed to fight with another credit union!   

Yeah that Vertical Checking is an amazing thing, if you keep money sitting in  your checking account (which I don't) and if you make purchases with debit cards (which I don't).  But if you're the type of customer they're looking for, that account really does right by you.

Message 9 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Yeah that Vertical Checking is an amazing thing, if you keep money sitting in  your checking account (which I don't) and if you make purchases with debit cards (which I don't).  But if you're the type of customer they're looking for, that account really does right by you.

Well, I don't think I use it as they would hope.  I just use it to get a guaranteed 3.3% on a liquid $20K, which, especially when rates elsewhere were below 1% was very good.   I don't do real debit purchases, just "free" debit transactions, using Cash App and Bluebird and then transfer the money back to a bank account.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.