Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Financial Goals for 2017?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Financial Goals for 2017?

I don't really do the whole New Years Resolution thing but I have some goals for 2017 and some of them have to do with Finances so I was wondering what everyone elses  goals were for 2017.

I am going to try to Garden all year.

Pay off the credit card debt that I have. (Which is around 3k-this should be done in the next 90 days)

Double up on my car payments. 

I started to restablish in March of 2016 and have had great success so far. 2018 I would like to buy my first home! #goals

What are your goals for the New Year?

31 REPLIES 31
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Financial Goals for 2017?

Build my savings more and contribute more to my IRA.

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 2 of 32
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Pay off all credit card debt, then get started on getting my wife's report mortgage ready by mid-2018.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 3 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Save more and spend less.

Age my accounts.

Message 4 of 32
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

1. Put my credit cards in ice until they're at a $0 balance - Done
  2. Increase my contribution to my 401k - Done
  3. Increase my contribution to my secondary retirement account - Done
  4. Increase payments to credit cards - In progress
  5. Increase amounts going into savings account for retirement - Takes effect with the next direct deposit
  6. Have the last remaining few negatives removed from my credit reports
  7. Save about 25% of the cost of a new car for a down pymt by the end of the year

Will review my plan in about three months, and adjust accordingly...  Smiley Wink

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 5 of 32
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Simple year:

• Pay off my HELOC.
  • Shuffle money into my various investment accounts
  • Unwind LendingClub if I can though I think that'll take a while. 

New job is a big pause button on my financial life other than just taking the income stream and moving it to where it can do more good.  Thought about paying down the mortgage though in current market think there's more optimal uses... also am thinking I want liquid assets and the ideal plan would be to get a place in a good school district in a few years.

Car should last a few more years, all the slush fund spending this year is pretty much done, and my expenses other than mortgage/HOA/taxes should be slashed with the travel reimbursement when I'm out of the country... or I might be on per diems Cat LOL

        
Message 6 of 32
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

1) Maintain work income in balance with expenses through 2020.

2) Allow current investments to grow without tapping into reserves

3) Pay down mortgage per plan - free and clear October 2020. Smiley Happy

4) DD self sufficient - no longer a dependent on tax returns. Smiley Wink

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 7 of 32
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Nice thread OP!

I am also NOT into New Year's Resolutions, BUT I am into goal settings. Here are some of my financial goals:

1- "Ice" my credit cards until there paid down. 

2- Increase my business income by 66% ( this is already In progress!)

3- hire my first employee! ( if I hit #2, #3 will happen)

Obviously, if I hit #2, #1 will also happen with greater speed and efficiency. 

Let's have an awesome year!

Best credit wishes to all!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) Pay off Lowe's card before the 0% promo expires (should accomplish this with tax return)

2) Pay off student loan by end of summer

3) Refill my emergency fund (I spend about 8k on home renovations last fall)

I may not get number 3 completely finished this year but I think I will have the majority of it done by the end of 2017. The first two are definite (assuming no catastrophic issues arise)

Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Build up my current savings account (for emergencies)

Build up my Barclays Dream Account that I just opened for future me (whatever that may be; just want a DO NOT TOUCH UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES savings)

Continue paying off student loans with more than minimum payment required. 

Figure out my life. This is largely as there are a couple of maybe big spends I have coming up, possible switching of crappy job to less crappy job. So just stick to savings and try to budget for these things. I'm lucky that my financial situation allows me to be a bit flexible (thanks to parents letting me stay home) so I can afford some of these spends without costing my savings deposits too much. 

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.