cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free personal checks (aka unlimited checks, free check orders, free check reorders)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Free personal checks (aka unlimited checks, free check orders, free check reorders)

Howdy. I'm interested in knowing which financial institutions offer "free checks" beyond initial setup and without age restrictions, but can't seem to find a decent list anywhere. Can you help? Please include eligibility requirements to continue receiving free checks (if any). I'll update this list as people respond:

Banks:

Ally Bank (?)
Bank of America (> $20,000 balance)
Central Bank (MO)
Discover
Fidelity
FNBO

Meredith Village Savings Bank (?)
Meridian (>$15,000)

M&T Bank (>$25,000 combined balance)
Schwab (online), single and duplicate basic-style checks
USAA (military only) single
Wells Fargo (portfolio relationship)

Credit Unions:

Allegacy FCU ($250 minimum)
Directions CU (MI) (eStatements)
Digital CU (requirements), single checks
Langley FCU  (direct deposit, loan, estatements) 2 boxes/annual
L&N FCU  ($2,000 balance)
Navy FCU (tiered offerings)
Navy Army Community CU  (Freedom Checking) 2 boxes/annual
Pennsylvania State Employees Credit Union (PSECU) 100/60 days , single
Star One Credit Union ($300 minimum monthly deposit OR $5,000 in deposit balance, eStatement, 10 debit transactions) 40/order
Upstate FCU (direct deposit, estatements) 

Please note I am not interested in reading about how rarely you use checks, thanks!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Free personal checks (aka unlimited checks, free check orders, free check reorders)

Interesting question? Do not recall any one place with the answer? Will be watching myself. Note, I suspect many Forum Members utilize electronic payment options? For myself, I write fifteen paper checks in a year so it slips my mind what options I have seen?
Message 2 of 14
creditfan
Established Contributor

Re: Free personal checks (aka unlimited checks, free check orders, free check reorders)

Bank

Schwab - single & duplicate checks

USAA - single check

CU

DCU - single & duplicate checks - (requirement must be met)

RBFCU - not yet member don't know

Message 3 of 14
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous    Many credit unions will give you a free supply of checks but very few banks will but from your list Discover bank does. Most banks now want $20+/- for an order of checks and as I write 2-3 checks a year I won't pay that much for an order of checks that would last me 10 years. There are "discount" check printing companies but I'd be very leery of giving out my banking info to a company whose claim to fame is "cheap checks". Smiley Wink

If you don't write many checks most banks & CUs will give you 3 "counter checks" for free in a branch per visit, a counter check is one they print there in the branch on a laser printer personalized with your name, address & account number.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

FNBO - free bank logo checks (no requirements but must be in their geofence)

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Interesting question? Do not recall any one place with the answer? Will be watching myself. Note, I suspect many Forum Members utilize electronic payment options? For myself, I write fifteen paper checks in a year so it slips my mind what options I have seen?

Just like Dinosaur we don't write 12 personal checks a year at the most.   For our biz the only paper checks 1) landlord 2) internet provider  they don't accept credit cards  3) contractors for fix and flip.   Our agents we  pay by ACH so they get clear funds the next day with no  hold. 

We pay ourselves by ACH transfer also.   We use a compuer check writing program that print checks for the few we write.   We  just buy blank check safety paper in a box of 500 which lasts along time.  The check program interfaces with quickbooks. 

Message 6 of 14
jacetx
Valued Contributor

Bank of America gives you free checks with the Advantage Relationship account +$10k, RBFCU has free duplicate checks.

Message 7 of 14
Roger1071549
New Contributor

Ally Bank also gives you free checks. I am not sure what the limit is, though.

My personal bank (Meridian Bank) near Philadelphia will give you free checks if you have if you keep over $15k in the bank and have relationship checking. While I dont think they are geofenced, they dont do online opening yet. You either go to the branch or fill out a form and mail it in.
Message 8 of 14
brandonm
Valued Member

Navy Army Community Credit Union will give you two free boxes per year if you have their "Flag Checking" account. Note, this account has a $5 monthly fee.

Message 9 of 14
creditfan
Established Contributor

to clarify

NFCU free checks "NAME ONLY"

EDIT:

ALLY BANK it used to be very good. Free checks and unlimited reimbursed ATM fee nationwide. but now I only see is $10/m, no idea about checks part. 

If a bank can't keep up with their good benefits I don't see why people keep staying since alot of good others out there

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.