Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated with USAA....WTH???

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Frustrated with USAA....WTH???

I know some of you miss my rants so heres one.........So long story short, Ill spare everyone the gory details, but they were IIB in 2013 for a decent amount.  I continue to have my car/renters insurance with them, and have since 1991, in good standing.

Moving along.....Since I just recently in the last year started doing online banking, I was paying my insurance thru my checking.  Well, now that Im needing to meet spend bonus on a couple cards, I went to set up my online acct at USAA, and low and behold a box popped up saying I was not allowed this funciton because I filed BK. 

WTH??...I called in asked for a super, and she immediately said that I wasnt allowed the "regular full site function" because I had IIB them, but I was allowed the mobil site.  She said the reason for that was because the full site offered CC's and other services that I wouldnt be allowed to have for 7 years.  I tried to make a payment using the mobil site, and it wouldnt "allow me" too. I told her this, and she rudely said, " well, you should have paid us", then you wouldnt be having this problem. " Lets just say that after that comment, all hell broke loose, and I escalated all the way to the top. I got her name, employee #, name of her first born, etc...

I told her this was the only company that did this too me, and the other companies that were also IIB would gladly take payments from me in any way, and have allowed me to set up a "FULL SITE" acct and have issued me ANOTHER CC.  I told her I wasnt interested in their CC, that I had plenty, lol. I also said told her that Ive been a member since 1991, along with 12 other family members, and I could change that in a heart beat!  and have never been late on an insurance payment, but that didnt matter. She said that their special  IT BK department sets it up like that, and that message wont go away till 7 years from my discharge, but once it does Ill be allowed to have access to the full site again, and make payments that way. Right now, Im only allowed to "view" my insurance acct via mobil site, and thats it.

so, basically I can only pay my USAA insurance thru my checking like I do now.

Im beyond livid...I get that I filed BK, but Im not a bad person, and she made me feel like I was a worthless POS for doing so, and that they were the ONLY creditors involved. All I wanted to do was set up an online acct, and pay my insurance bill will my new QS to meed spend, I wasnt applying for credit. Now Im in tears. 

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: Frustrated with USAA....WTH???

Well, that sounds like a silly restriction.  I don't get how that helps them at all.

Still, I think it's their right to set up their policies however they like, and it's your right to take your business elsewhere if they don't treat you like a valued customer.  I doubt any CSR, no matter how high up you go, could change this type of policy.

Message 2 of 21
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

Honestly I would just change to a different insurance provider. That does seem bizarre though. 

But, dont sweat the small stuff. Smiley Happy

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 3 of 21
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Agreed...their policies, no matter how stupid they may seem, are their policies. There is no use fighting to get them to change a policy. You will simply be frustrated.

As mentioned if it's a big enough problem (which I can understand), I'd consider switching providers to avoid the headache.

Message 4 of 21
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I probably wouldn't be as upset as I am now if she wasn't so unprofessional  to me on the phone, and made that particular comment. If she was nice to me, thanking me for continuing to have service with them, and apologized for the inconvenience that she couldn't change....then it would have gone a lot differently.

mod edit- language

Message 5 of 21
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Never take credit personally. Bk hangs over your head, especially with those involved. You are not a bad person, and they have rules. You can always switch out insurance if the terms are not to your liking.

Living is realizing there is only so much we can control. You apparently tried, but can't change their minds. There are things you can control, yourself. Try not to place yourself in situations that make you want to cry.

For example, I've been told by many reps that I can get a cli on my business card after 60 days. But I had a cli on my personal Amex in December, and some reports out there claim no additional cli's for six months. Now, I can't get straight answer, and often referred to wrong department (would I like to initiate a FR?). There are also business expenses that won't let me use this card.

When I get frustrated and transferred many times without any answer, I just hang up. There is nothing I can do to fix the situation at that point in time. Medical biller's make mistakes, and bill me for things they shouldn't, really BIG bills.

Life throws us curveballs, some are consequences of our past behaviors, or current behaviors. Control is but a myth, and you can only control you.

The reason you feel like crying, are you still feeling guilty for filing BK? It's the past, it's done. You must forgive yourself (more easily said than done, I know), then it is easier to forgive others. Try again next year? It's not worth crying over.

Signature needs updating
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unreal ... USAA just changed CEOs'. If you don't feel better in a few days send a snail mail written letter to the Exec Office on the subject and the treatment. As you said, treating you with respect would have helped! Policy is certainly a question too. Presently, I am a member and I don't like seeing people get treated with disrespect!
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Language!

The rep should not have been so callous, but you absolutely hold control of the conversation at all times.

Like IF said, you can hang up.
Message 8 of 21
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

like I said, I WASNT applying for credit!! I was trying to pay my insurance bill, but Ive been blocked by them for the next 5 years to do that other than paying thru my checking.

They won't allow me to set up online acts to do that because of the BK. Smiley Sad
Message 9 of 21
barbaralee
Established Contributor

If it makes you feel any better, I also iib USAA, but I use to work for them so I was well aware of the policies. My SO eventually wants to switch all of our banking to them, but I have to wait 2 more years. I know it sucks, but it is what it is. At least it is only for 7 years, and once those years pass you are golden again. 

She was awful, and I can attest that USAA really does look out for their members. Any impeccable customer service experience I have I learned from them. Don't let this one rep ruin a 12 year relationship. Good thoughts your way. Smiley Happy 

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.