Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden Club - December 2018

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Garden Club - December 2018

@expatCanuck wrote:
I don't have an Amazon-flavor card -- free Prime would be a draw.

+1

Same here... while I like "my precious" (Amex Gold) if Amazon Prime was included with the Green I would be tempted to do a downgrade. 

Although once I see how I'm able to make the 4x on groceries work out (once the I get through the 1Q with Discover, of course) the Gold might be more attractive. 

I've determined that my BCP spend is low enough that I can use the Gold for groceries and cash out once a year for ~$150 in Nike GCs and actually come out a little better than I do with the BCP (or not... I can also just hang on to the MRs).  That's assuming that I'm guaranteed to use the Nike cards each year, and that keeping the Gold is a given (both are true).

The math isn't quite as exciting as figuring out MQMs/MQDs/XYZs, but it surprisingly works. Smiley Tongue  Smiley Very Happy

If the Green card is 'refreshed' that will just be another option to consider, and more options are nearly always good.  Smiley Happy

Message 3531 of 7,269
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@expatCanuck wrote:

+1

Same here... while I like "my precious" (Amex Gold) if Amazon Prime was included with the Green I would be tempted to do a downgrade. 

Although once I see how I'm able to make the 4x on groceries work out (once the I get through the 1Q with Discover, of course) the Gold might be more attractive. 

I've determined that my BCP spend is low enough that I can use the Gold for groceries and cash out once a year for $150 in Nike GCs and actually come out a little better than I do with the BCP (or not... I can also just hang on to the MRs).  That's assuming that I'm guaranteed to use the Nike cards each year, and that keeping the Gold is a given (both are true).

The math isn't quite as exciting as figuring out MQMs/MQDs/XYZs, but it surprisingly works. Smiley Tongue  Smiley Very Happy

If the Green card is 'refreshed' that will just be another option to consider, and more options are nearly always good.  Smiley Happy

The Gold Card is now my daily driver, followed by Everyday Card and the Platinum. But I can see the logic in the strategy:

Platinum: for Travel

Gold: for Dining/Supermarkets

Green: for other recurring spend (Fuel, Streaming Services, Amazon)

And getting nearly $1k in annual fees for the Trifeca while simultaneously swiping (no pun intended) at the Sapphire and UBER cards.

Now if I can just convince Vesey Street to add CDW Primary to the Platinum... Smiley Happy

Message 3532 of 7,269
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@RicHowe wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@expatCanuck wrote:

+1

I've determined that my BCP spend is low enough that I can use the Gold for groceries and cash out once a year for $150 in Nike GCs and actually come out a little better than I do with the BCP (or not... I can also just hang on to the MRs).  That's assuming that I'm guaranteed to use the Nike cards each year, and that keeping the Gold is a given (both are true).

The Gold Card is now my daily driver, followed by Everyday Card and the Platinum. But I can see the logic in the strategy:

And getting nearly $1k in annual fees for the Trifeca while simultaneously swiping (no pun intended) at the Sapphire and UBER cards.

+1

Ironically, the only 'hole' I see remaining with Amex (both now and if/when there's a Green refresh) is for non-airline travel.  Most cards that do anything with travel have a 3x category that takes care of hotels and other miscellanous non-airline travel (I mean, even some no-AF cards do that these days; Propel and TravElite come to mind).

I'm really surprised Amex has never decided to cut into that segment.  As-is, as far as travel goes they are great for people who fly or use Uber (Platinum covers those) but that's about it.  (I'm not considering their pre-paid hotel multiplier, since many would never do that anyway.)

Message 3533 of 7,269
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@RicHowe wrote:

This might make for a good Tuesday conversation in the garden:

How would you like to see AMEX refresh the Green Card?

What would you add as perk, benefit to make it a must-jump-the-fence card, or more specifically, induce Remy to finally come to the light?

As previously mentioned, a 3x travel category would seem to be a good fit.

I mean if WF can do it with the Propel without an AF, surely Amex can offer that on a product with a $95 AF.

Message 3534 of 7,269
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@RicHowe wrote:

What would you add as perk, benefit to make it a must-jump-the-fence card, or more specifically, induce Remy to finally come to the light?

I mean if WF can do it with the Propel without an AF, surely Amex can offer that on a product with a $95 AF.

+1

I actually use the Travel benefit of the Platinum (including the Hotel Multiplier thru AMEX Travel), so I'd prolly stick with that, but you make a good point.

Message 3535 of 7,269
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@RicHowe wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@expatCanuck wrote:

+1

Now if I can just convince Vesey Street to add CDW Primary to the Platinum... Smiley Happy

The BCE to BCP upgrade offer makes it a moot point this year, but what's the draw of the Gold over the BCP for groceries (or whatever else)?

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 3536 of 7,269
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

@expatCanuck wrote:

@RicHowe wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@expatCanuck wrote:

+1

The BCE to BCP upgrade offer makes it a moot point this year, but what's the draw of the Gold over the BCP for groceries (or whatever else)?

4X on Supermarkets AND Dining, no cap.

Message 3537 of 7,269
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

my god! so glad you a case manager!

.. i said the SAME exact thing when helping bf through the ticket to work/vocational rehab programs.. 

how do people do it who arent high functioning and live alone?!

Yeah my community case manager with the county mental health is a godsend. I can do all of the work myself but calling the county department of human services is a serious exercise in frustration that often ends with being told they’re too busy to answer while trying to get through and she has someone who she can ask right there in the office. 

I actually will be dealing with the ticket myself when I feel I am ready to go back to work - I’m not looking forward to that either but in order to preserve my Medicare and SSDI while I try to transition back into working, it’s red tape I will have to deal with too. I don’t really get why they have to make it so difficult because the ticket to work program being so daunting with the requirements is why a lot of people don’t bother trying to go back to work when their disability ends. 

exactly! on top of dealing with state benefits.. i mean im not the one with the brain injury and even i was confused most of the time! ha.. 

It’s definitely not fun trying to navigate their world lol. It’s manageable for someone like me but I definitely feel for people who need to hire someone to take care of this stuff!

Well in garden news, I just froze all three bureaus. I am officially in the garden!

Of course they had to make it super annoying what with three different PINs and methods to unfreeze but it’s done and the work it will take to thaw them means I will actually have time that I’m forced to think about any apps I put in so yay!

Yall are stuck with me now muahaha 🦹‍♂️ 

How long does it take to thaw?

Message 3538 of 7,269
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@joltdude wrote:

I had a thing for watches that did a little extra.. was given a few over the years but they dissapeared.. i was a kid.. 

Usually some form of casio or seiko.. some didnt even didnt make it to the US... came from overseas when my relative used to come over from working as an expat.. 

This one i got for a deal but used to like it due to its dot matrix display of the numbers..

https://www.google.com/search?q=seiko+datagraph+2001&rlz=1CAHFRG_enUS825US825&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=JiGsDRcEu7EnmM%253A%252CqQTx5uh_GJGpDM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kRcpE6cfktQOc_gb8Zt3MAel0LSZw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjSyJKOv6jfAhWwpFkKHUiHAjoQ9QEwBHoECAQQCg#imgrc=pT_0fMNyRazWnM:

Also owned a Timex Datalink 150 with the metal band...

My daily watch is a Citizen AT-9010-52E World Time; the thing is so complicated that when it doesn't receive the radio signal from the transmitter in Colorado I have to look up YouTube tutorials to refresh my memory. 

I have a similar one. I have to look up how to adjust the time every daylight savings time. I didn't even bother this last one.

Message 3539 of 7,269
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@UncleB wrote:

@RicHowe wrote:

You know that AF is going up, especially if they add prime. 

Message 3540 of 7,269
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.