Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden Club - December 2018

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Garden Club - December 2018

Well I will have to figure out how to get it going with Navy because I don’t want to move my banking over just yet (if something happens with SSDI direct deposit, that’s a nightmare to try to get someone to fix and my bank has no fees or minimum balances anyway if I cancel my $10/yr debit card) and I actually did just <mod redaction:  Remember the Garden Club rules!> and NOW I will behave and stay in the garden lol but it didn’t make sense to wait for something I actually need to do what I want with the checking) so I am going to set up all of my accounts to have auto pay min now. Smiley Happy

Message 1631 of 7,269
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Apparently Credit One really wants my business. They've been sending offers every 3 weeks, give or take a week, and the offer keeps getting better each time. Currently, its the 1% cash back and the AF has been dropped to $39, no other fees, and the max APR is lower than my Amex and 2 of my cap1 cards. I'm wondering if they'll come with a no AF offer soon.

Last one they sent me actually had a grace period... at 25.9%

Blows my mind I have 2 cards at 21.24, 1 at 18, 1 at 11.65, and Cap at 24.65 and I keep getting Credit One and other predatory offers. 

Yeah, my offers have had a grace period for a while. I have seen a no AF version. At that point, it's not really a predatory card anymore, just underwhelming with its 1% cash back. But if a new rebuilder was able to land that offer, it wouldn't be too shabby until they qualified for a 1.5%. Plus, my understanding is it grows faster than a cap1 card until it caps around $3-5000.

I have seen them with no AF as well. I actually think that when I got that offer was what prompted me to check Amex and then Discover for pre-approvals and ultimately was the reason I found out I had a way out of Capital One and Ollo. I guess I can be thankful for that but otherwise I would have nothing to do with them. I mean even their branding screams “Capital One” which no doubt dupes consumers right and left and I am amazed Cap hasn’t sued them out of existence. 

Actually cap1 copied their logo. Smiley Wink

Learn something new every day!

Although they copied Capital One’s ability to pick card designs and just about everything else - one of the biggest complaints about Credit One is how many consumers confuse them with Capital One. I almost made the same mistake until I read the terms on the Platinum and realized it wasn’t Capital One. 

Ironically about about a week later I got a real Plat offer from Capital One and found my first avenue to rebuilding credit since my bankruptcy. 

Here's an interesting read on the 'dueling logos':  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-05/the-strange-case-of-the-look-alike-credit-cards

Message 1632 of 7,269
Anonymous
Not applicable

I saw that when I googled but I don’t have a Bloomberg subscription so I just got the basic gist. 

Message 1633 of 7,269
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well I will have to figure out how to get it going with Navy because I don’t want to move my banking over just yet (if something happens with SSDI direct deposit, that’s a nightmare to try to get someone to fix and my bank has no fees or minimum balances anyway if I cancel my $10/yr debit card) and I actually did just <mod redaction:  Remember the Garden Club rules!> and NOW I will behave and stay in the garden lol but it didn’t make sense to wait for something I actually need to do what I want with the checking) so I am going to set up all of my accounts to have auto pay min now. Smiley Happy

Yeah, once you get it setup correctly it's no problem at all.

Not going to mention your (ahem!) other thing you did with NFCU that we don't talk about in this thread, but if it's your SSDI direct deposit you're concerned about NFCU might be able to help there, too.

Some banks can send a request electronically to SSA for your direct deposit to be changed... Wells Fargo was able to do this for my grandmother a couple of years ago.  It was as simple as the bank rep hitting a few keys on her keyboard, and it was done (almost too easy, actually).

Message 1634 of 7,269
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I saw that when I googled but I don’t have a Bloomberg subscription so I just got the basic gist. 

Sometimes putting 'cache:' before the URL can get around a paywall... try this link.

Message 1635 of 7,269
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the relationship with Navy is still too young for me to trust them with the direct deposit just yet. Maybe in September Smiley Very Happy

But I am just going to be drafting money out if my auto pay kicks in, otherwise I’ll keep drafting from my bank. 

I have had 1stBank since 2012 and they have yet to do me wrong, they just won’t extend me credit of any kind with my bankruptcy and me maximizing my cash back with my CCs means I end up with $100 or less in the account sometimes (although since I have Medicaid I actually am not allowed to have much in cash anyway so it’s a moot point) so I just don’t want to risk getting hit with overdraft charges, especially getting paid once a month. 

I will check out that link, nice tip. I never thought to use cache: before. And my Google-fu is usually on point too. I’m so ashamed Smiley Frustrated Smiley Wink

Message 1636 of 7,269
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@SomewhereIn505 wrote:

I am not complaining, but noticing there is a ton of new members.

Nice to have that "NEW" icon next to their names. I see all of them posting like crazy.

Mods - Hope they're not giving you much trouble. Smiley Tongue

As far as I know, the number of new members is about what we're accustomed to... they're just more visible now.  Smiley Happy

A nice benefit of the added icon is that it's simpler now to determine if someone can put pics in their siggy; basically if one has the "New" icon, they can't add HTML yet.  Smiley Wink

@Anonymous idea @UncleB. It visually helps a lot!

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 1637 of 7,269
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

Off to update the excel sheet...y'all behave!

What are you talking about? 

People in the Garden Club always behave... they're just not always"well"  behaved!  Smiley Surprised smiley-laughing021.gif

😂😂😂

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 1638 of 7,269
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Good morning boys and girls!  Happy Tuesday!

Looks like a long day at job A today... not too much driving, but lots of folks to see...one, of course, is an AFTER 4pm more than an hour from home.  Smiley Mad

Oh well.  Another day, another 50 cents.

Oh yeah, @Remedios still doesn't have an American Express card.  Smiley Tongue

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 1639 of 7,269
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Adkins wrote:

I'm not quite caught up, but im too tired to finish the read. I did a bad thing, and I'll post and link to it tomorrow. I received an email from a job I'd applied for - they are requesting a phone interview. Fingers crossed. Need the sleeps. 

Bad Adkins, no cookie. 😅   Get sleeps.  😴

Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom 🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 1640 of 7,269
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.