Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden Club - July 2019

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Garden Club - July 2019

crossreferencing it sounds like you have an i7-4870HQ processor.  That generation family has a maximum temperature rating of 100C.

You may have hot spots but I would think a sustained high CPU utilization would be needed to trigger a temperature-related throttling.

One can usually disable the EIST (or SpeedStep on older machines) settings on a Windows machine in the system BIOS.  Unsure about how it could be done on a Mac.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3621 of 5,282
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@macinjosh wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:
Yeah AMD and Intel made it so that clock speeds were dynamic many years ago. If your computer is sitting idle, it would be normal for the CPU to run at a much slower speed to conserve energy. As soon as demand is placed on it, it will increase as needed up to the maximum clock speed.

So if that’s the case, what distinguishes dynamic speed vs thermal throttle?

the "dynamic speed" is a function of processor utilization, if utilization is low both the frequency and voltage can be independently adjusted downward to conserve power while still allowing the processor to provide performance adequate to meet the demand.

A thermal throttle forces a drop in performance in response to a heat sensor registering a temperature that exceeded a threshold, and that's usually tied to high processor utilization and/or a failure of a cooling fan.

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3622 of 5,282
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

and with that I'm off to bed. 'night all

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Message 3623 of 5,282
macinjosh
Senior Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@macinjosh wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:
Yeah AMD and Intel made it so that clock speeds were dynamic many years ago. If your computer is sitting idle, it would be normal for the CPU to run at a much slower speed to conserve energy. As soon as demand is placed on it, it will increase as needed up to the maximum clock speed.

So if that’s the case, what distinguishes dynamic speed vs thermal throttle?

the "dynamic speed" is a function of processor utilization, if utilization is low both the frequency and voltage can be independently adjusted downward to conserve power while still allowing the processor to provide performance adequate to meet the demand.

A thermal throttle forces a drop in performance in response to a heat sensor registering a temperature that exceeded a threshold, and that's usually tied to high processor utilization and/or a failure of a cooling fan.

Ok, that makes more sense. So it looks like my processor is running properly, but unfortunately there are still issues with the GPU freaking out if the temps get too hot. That’s the only reason I bought a new Mac. I will probably try to keep my 2014 as an extra so I don’t have to sell it, and may still end up fixing it too. We will see.

Samsung Financing TD Bank $3,200

Message 3624 of 5,282
macinjosh
Senior Contributor

Goodnight @coldfusion!

Message 3625 of 5,282
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Good morning boys, girls, and zombies!  Happy Sunday!

I'm up too early... thunderstorm rolling by outside... hopefully will cool things off a bit.

No credit news to report...things are quiet in my little corner of the garden.   

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 3626 of 5,282
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

'morning all.  I'll be using toothpicks to keep my eyes open until the caffeine kicks in.

I have Remi's coffee ready, as usual with real half-n-half.

Famous Aunty Acid Gift Mug I really need a day between ...

Have a good day everybody.

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Message 3627 of 5,282
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Ex Fico 8 score up one.  Smiley Indifferent

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 3628 of 5,282
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

Famous Aunty Acid Gift Mug I really need a day between ...

Yassssssss.

Message 3629 of 5,282
macinjosh
Senior Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

Ex Fico 8 score up one.  Smiley Indifferent

Every point up is better than nothing or down!

Message 3630 of 5,282
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.