cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got Denied PenFed personal loan……..I need some advice

tag
svali42

Got Denied PenFed personal loan……..I need some advice

I started my Credit journey June, 2021 with an average score of 580 to its current score of low to mid 700s (T.U, Experian & EQUIFAX). 

I am a PenFed customer so I thought I'd give a shot on a personal loan. Honestly, I thought I would be approved because of the 700s credit scores, current salary ($175,000), and no loans apart from Student loan.  

I applied and got rejected because of the following reasons that they stated: 

1. Debt Deliquency. A few years ago I owed $5000 to Santander from an auto loan. Got into an accident while in college, couldn't work because of the injuries; however, right after finishing school we came to an agreement of $3200 and they closed the loan. No other delinquencies. 

2. Length of time accounts established. 

3. Too many inquiries past 12 months. This is true since I opened two secured credit cards and a secure PenFed loan to build my credit. Then when scores improved.....I got unsecured credit cards with Apple, Amex gold & Platinum. 

4. Too many accounts with balance. This I didnt  understand since all of my credit cards are within 6% -9% credit utilization. 

Is there anything I can do to improve my credit life and/or the above situation? 

Any tips are greatly appreciated

4 REPLIES 4
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Got Denied PenFed personal loan……..I need some advice

@svali42 wrote:

I started my Credit journey June, 2021 with an average score of 580 to its current score of low to mid 700s (T.U, Experian & EQUIFAX). 

I am a PenFed customer so I thought I'd give a shot on a personal loan. Honestly, I thought I would be approved because of the 700s credit scores, current salary ($175,000), and no loans apart from Student loan.  

1. Debt Deliquency. A few years ago I owed $5000 to Santander from an auto loan. Got into an accident while in college, couldn't work because of the injuries; however, right after finishing school we came to an agreement of $3200 and they closed the loan. No other delinquencies. 

3. Too many inquiries past 12 months. This is true since I opened two secured credit cards and a secure PenFed loan to build my credit. Then when scores improved.....I got unsecured credit cards with Apple, Amex gold & Platinum. 

4. Too many accounts with balance. This I didnt  understand since all of my credit cards are within 6% -9% credit utilization. 

Is there anything I can do to improve my credit life and/or the above situation? 

Yes.

1.  It improves your score to have most of your revolving accounts report zero balances.  So pay some or even most of your revolving accounts before the statement cuts.

2.  Don't apply for any new credit, or for anything that could trigger a hard pull, for at least 6 months.

3.  See if you can negotiate a good will deletion with Santander.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 5
svali42

@SouthJamaica Thanks for the advice

Message 3 of 5
svali42

@SouthJamaica @Just called Santander bank and they told me they can't do anything because the report reads the account is closed and balance is $0

Message 4 of 5
TryItAgain
Regular Contributor

@svali42 wrote:

Try Lending Club. I had a similar credit score start as you, now mid 700s, and from 600 I have received and paid off maybe 7 loans through LC 15k to 50k.

As long as you don't have like 75%+ overall utilization which it seems you don't, you should get an offer. Good thing is they are 100% Soft Pull unless you accept a final loan, they will Hard Pull AFTER you receive funds.

Due to Santander situation, do not expect the best terms, but as long as you can prove your stated income I'd be stunned if no offer was given. Ask for as much as 50k, as they will counter and usually offer 3 or 5 year options. With POI and auto pay acceptance, you usually have funds in days.

Pull that off then in future, PenFed wont give you any issues, YMMV here, but that's how it worked for me.

Prosper can work too but lately can be more picky, plus while SP initially, they will HP upon acceptance but before final approval, unlike LC.  Between the 2 I've done 15 loans since 2014.

Hope that helps, Good luck!

(Ch7 Discharged 12/12) AvgScore 807

Personal-
NFCU Platinum 50k | NFCU Flagship 20k | NFCU More Rewards 10k | NFCU NavChek PLOC 15k | PenFed Power Cash 25k | PenFed Gold 15k | PenFed Pathfinder 10k | PenFed OLOC 3K | GTE Financial CU 15k | VyStar CU Cash Back 25k | VyStar CU PLOC 15k | FNBO Evergreen 25k | FNBO 11.85K | BofA Cash Rewards 10.1k | Capital One Venture 13k | Capital One QS 7k | PNC Cash Rewards 15.5k | Citi Costco 8.5k | US Bank Cash+ 10k | Discover 14.8k | Discover 14.1k | Regions Cash 6k | Truist Enjoy Cash 9k | Truist Future 6.5k | Elan Max Cash 7k | Wells Fargo Reflect 20k | Fifth Third 7k | USAA PrefRew 15k | CFNA Tires Plus MC 8k | GM Rewards 3.5k | TD Bank Cash 3.5k | Amex BCP 3K | Lowes Store 30k | Sleep Number Store 13.5k | Home Depot Store 10k | Amazon Store 10k | Care Credit 15k | Walmart Store 6k | JCrew 25k | Jared 18.6k | HSN 4.1K | King Size 4k | Buckle 3.1k

Business-
Amex BBC 25k | Amex BBP 22k | Amex Business Platinum NPSL 30.4kPoT | Citizens Business Everyday 35k | Sams Club Business MC 25K | US Bank Business Plat 24k | Capital One Spark 2% 22k | Marcus GM Business 12.5k | Capital On Tap 2% 10k | Chase Ink 3k | Divvy 7k | PNC BLOC 50K | Citizens BLOC 50K | (Private) BLOC 75K | WEX Business Access Fuel 30k | Sams Bus Store 25k
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.