Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got in with Navy Federal Credit Union!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got in with Navy Federal Credit Union!

I read about the “housemate” option for NFCU and knew my roommate had some NFCU cards.. I asked her today and she very kindly sponsored me. I was expecting some bumps because neither of our names are on any utility bills and I don’t have our current address on my DL but it all went smoothly and NFCU didn’t ask for any of that information. I think it helps that she’s been an established member for some time.

Anyhow, I got an in! I’m in the garden now so I didn’t even look at the credit cards but I was sorely tempted. (Right after you finish setting up banking there is a link “Apply for a credit card”!)

I already got 3 cards this year and I hear they pull TU which is my lowest score so I’ll hold out until my score is better for a larger credit line.

I also have a USAA bank account but never tried for one of their cards since I didn’t think I’d get approved. Bummed I missed out on Limitless! I haven’t looked at their cards either but I look forward to leaving the garden for my next app spree.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Got in with Navy Federal Credit Union!

Congrats. How do you have a USAA account, but didn't qualify for NFCU?

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

BTW, I have a spare bedroom that can be rented, in case if any Navy Fed members are reading this.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

That’s a good question. 6 years ago I wanted an online bank account but was denied by Ally Bank, likely for poor credit. I found about USAA and promptly applied and was accepted. I only found out recently that I am not actually eligible for the account and have no recollection on how I got in. Maybe there was some kind of open enrollment period, but it’s more likely that back then they didn’t have any safeguards to prevent ineligible people from joining. 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That’s a good question. 6 years ago I wanted an online bank account but was denied by Ally Bank, likely for poor credit. I found about USAA and promptly applied and was accepted. I only found out recently that I am not actually eligible for the account and have no recollection on how I got in. Maybe there was some kind of open enrollment period, but it’s more likely that back then they didn’t have any safeguards to prevent ineligible people from joining. 

...weirdly enough, I just posted in another thread about my plan to join NFCU once I have my father's (Marines, deceased) DD-214. I've been with USAA for close to three decades for auto and homeowner's/renter's insurance through my stepfather (retired Army). I hadn't known that this might make me eligible for NFCU by extension.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

...weirdly enough, I just posted in another thread about my plan to join NFCU once I have my father's (Marines, deceased) DD-214. I've been with USAA for close to three decades for auto and homeowner's/renter's insurance through my stepfather (retired Army). I hadn't known that this might make me eligible for NFCU by extension.

I got in NFCU through my non-member grandfather. Didn't need any forms or anything. They don't seem to be terribly picky, and they didn't HP me either.

Message 6 of 11
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 7 of 11
creditfan
Established Contributor

please be prepared documents to verify elgibility, they may request it at anytime. They don't ask you today, it doesn't mean they don't ask you later on. Specially for who are using household method as a way in

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to join via a household sponsor.  No questions asked up front but a week later I received an email with an upload link asking for driver's license and a utility bill with my name on it to verify eligibility. I used our insurance policy statement with both my name and sponsor and same address.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you creditfan and dice for the heads up. Ill cross my fingers but cross those bridges if they ask for more info. I’ll keep this thread posted!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.