Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grocery Budget

tag
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Grocery Budget

Hello everyone, I just wanted some input from my Fico Friends, how much do you budget for groceries for Your family? I know we're all different, but I'm looking for some feedback. I'll go first:

Family size: 5

Monthly budget: $1,000

Includes: groceries AND all household items such as toilet paper, napkins, household cleaners, grooming supplies etc etc. 

Thanks! Looking forward to your responses. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Grocery Budget

I'm single, and i don't have a hard budget but on average i spend about $180 per month on groceries and about $100 for health supplements, household items, etc

Honestly i probably spend as much going out to eat on the weekends for cheat days as i do for the entire rest of the week on groceries...
Message 2 of 50
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm single, and i don't have a hard budget but on average i spend about $180 per month on groceries and about $100 for health supplements, household items, etc

Honestly i probably spend as much going out to eat on the weekends for cheat days as i do for the entire rest of the week on groceries...

Wow, Amazing!

To be single... 

Thanks for the reply. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 3 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Family of two. Monthly food budget was set at $800-$950 until I started looking more closely at our perishable expenses. I'm trying for $200/month now. I'd rather have cash in the bank than steak in the belly. Most likely going to have to push it up to ~$250-$300.

I've been actively searching for discount grocery store gift cards on the major reseller sites - Turns the 2% on my Citi DC into 5-7% back, and helps expense tracking. Discount gas card (scored my whole month's fuel for 11.8% off face value) and grocery cards at the beginning of the month, PIF the Citi DC and my budget's set. 

Message 4 of 50
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Family of two. Monthly food budget was set at $800-$950 until I started looking more closely at our perishable expenses. I'm trying for $200/month now. I'd rather have cash in the bank than steak in the belly. Most likely going to have to push it up to ~$250-$300.

I've been actively searching for discount grocery store gift cards on the major reseller sites - Turns the 2% on my Citi DC into 5-7% back, and helps expense tracking. Discount gas card (scored my whole month's fuel for 11.8% off face value) and grocery cards at the beginning of the month, PIF the Citi DC and my budget's set. 

Dinner at the Lithium's must have been quite the culinary experience. Steak and Lobster with a fine Chianti anyone? 

Lol

Thanks for your input. 

Message 5 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

For two of us I budget $375-$400. I am only over if we eat out a lot (i.e. Lunches). I shop Costco and BJ's mostly.

I need to really track it better to make sure it's a good number though.
Message 6 of 50
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
For two of us I budget $375-$400. I am only over if we eat out a lot (i.e. Lunches). I shop Costco and BJ's mostly.

So that figure Includes eating out as well?

Message 7 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Last I checked, my average grocery spending was around $170/mo for 1 person.

Message 8 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So that figure Includes eating out as well?

Ok, so I should have consulted my handy budget first, lol :-)

Right now, I have a budget of $300 per month on groceries ($10/day for the two of us), plus a coffee/supplements budget of $50 per month and misc expenses of $50 per month.  So my household budget for food and misc spending on household items is $400.  

I buy food in bulk in the beginning of the month and only have to pick up a few perishable things here and there.  I buy all my household/misc items in bulk only when they are on sale so I store them until I need them.  

Yes, that includes eating out - we usually eat out once a week after church, splitting a meal or ordering a pizza (leftovers usually last 2 days with a large pizza).  My son is only 11 so sometimes he eats a ton and other days not so much.

Message 9 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting thread OP Smiley Happy

Family of two, in a week spending $115-200. The higher amount is totalling the monthly "needs" such as detergent, soap, etc. I cook every week and because it is just the two of us, the food will last all week during lunch and dinner and on the weekends we eat out. Then back to square one. 

Message 10 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.