Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grocery Budget

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Grocery Budget

3 people in mine. I budget for $75 a week which includes all household items. Sometimes I got a little over, sometimes a little under.

Message 11 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are two of us. We spend $400-$500 per month (including all household items such as toilet paper, laundry supplies, etc.)  We rarely eat out. If we do it is only once a month on a special occasion. When I say we don't eat out, I mean no fast food, either. I also use a lot of coupons and save that way.

Message 12 of 50
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

DW and I rarely eat out either - but we do usually have a bottle of wine with dinner.

All told, we are in the $600 to $700 per month for "groceries" which includes food and drink combined. Say $400/month without beverage allocation. Other household disposable items would be an additional, but relatively minor, expense (estimate $50/month).

So, overall expense for the two of us is $650 to $750 per month.

thechive food animated GIF

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 13 of 50
greent
Frequent Contributor

Family size 4

We spend 700 a month in groceries and household items. I've tried cutting back but there is no way. We would be eating pasta only and we want to eat healthy too. 

Message 14 of 50
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting thread OP Smiley Happy

Family of two, in a week spending $115-200. The higher amount is totalling the monthly "needs" such as detergent, soap, etc. I cook every week and because it is just the two of us, the food will last all week during lunch and dinner and on the weekends we eat out. Then back to square one.

If my family could "cut back" to only eating out on the weekends, we would save some serious money. Admittedly,  I am the worst offender. My job is "on the road" and I can't seem to psychologically be ok with the brown bagging it concept...

Sigh... maybe I need therapy...

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 15 of 50
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

ML, your an inspiration to me! I want to be able to say that "we only eat out once a month!" 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 16 of 50
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

DW and I rarely eat out either - but we do usually have a bottle of wine with dinner.

All told, we are in the $600 to $700 per month for "groceries" which includes food and drink combined. Say $400/month without beverage allocation. Other household disposable items would be an additional, but relatively minor, expense (estimate $50/month).

So, overall expense for the two of us is $650 to $750 per month.

Yes! I think this ( wine with dinner) could be a good motivating factor for me to cut back on fast food during the week. There's a study that says couples that drink alcohol together seem to be happier. 

http://usat.ly/2aCwtXH 

Message 17 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Family of two, in a week spending $115-200. The higher amount is totalling the monthly "needs" such as detergent, soap, etc. I cook every week and because it is just the two of us, the food will last all week during lunch and dinner and on the weekends we eat out. Then back to square one.

If my family could "cut back" to only eating out on the weekends, we would save some serious money. Admittedly,  I am the worst offender. My job is "on the road" and I can't seem to psychologically be ok with the brown bagging it concept...

@grillandwinemaster - oh trust me it takes a lot of will power for us not to eat out during lunch at work. Especially when you have co-workers who is constantly bugging you "what are you doing for lunch?" Smiley Frustrated

Message 18 of 50
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@grillandwinemaster - oh trust me it takes a lot of will power for us not to eat out during lunch at work. Especially when you have co-workers who is constantly bugging you "what are you doing for lunch?" Smiley Frustrated

Ill second that. I have a desk job and I eat out EVERY day for lunch. I usually try to eat cheap though ($3-$7 per meal).

When actually talking monthly groceries, currently I am spending about $200 per month (eating for one) on groceries for home.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 19 of 50
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@14Fiesta wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ill second that. I have a desk job and I eat out EVERY day for lunch. I usually try to eat cheap though ($3-$7 per meal).

When actually talking monthly groceries, currently I am spending about $200 per month (eating for one) on groceries for home.

From those that have replied, it seems the per- person avg is roughly somewhere between 150-200 per month per person. So it seems that your right on track. 

Btw, beautiful looking Gold Spade! I get my gold one next month. 

Message 20 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.