Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grocery Budget

tag
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Re: Grocery Budget

For me and the DW it's about $800 a month, mainly because whenever we go to Costco.. We have no self control Smiley Sad this includes everything like shampoo, soap, meat, bread, etc..
Message 31 of 50
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

I do have to figure out a way to reduce my eating out for lunch expenses. A few replied that they rarely eat out...

Hmmm... Maybe I will start a new thread seeking advice on this subject?? 

Pack your lunch! Smiley Very Happy I'm a huge advocate, lol. I never have time in the morning so my best advice is pack it the night before and try to make it something you really want to eat (your favorite foods) and throw in a little treat. I've never been one for takeout that much but I find bringing lunch saves a lot of money. Depending on where you live/work, lunch can add up! My last job was in a downtown area so it was minimum $10 for lunch (not including a drink, I'm talking about just a sandwich or salad with chips). I can pack my lunch for much less!!

To answer the original topic, I probably spend $50-60 a week on food groceries (more if you're counting other household non-food items). It's only me and my husband but we go through laundry detergent like nobody's business. *scratches head* 

I Would totally pack a lunch. Where my OCD kicks in Is that I'm a self employed contractor and I never have access to a fridge or microwave.  I wonder if anybody makes a 12V microwave? I could make a brand new truck payment on the money I spend on eating out every week! 😦

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 32 of 50
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Creditplz wrote:
For me and the DW it's about $800 a month, mainly because whenever we go to Costco.. We have no self control Smiley Sad this includes everything like shampoo, soap, meat, bread, etc..

If I we're in your shoes, I would cancel Costco. For a family of two the savings of buying in bulk are negligible. 😊

Just my thought, different strokes for different folks. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 33 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hubby and I buy our non-perishable items at SAMs for sure. We are also cutting carbs so w buy meat and repackage into smaller portions and freeze when we get home...but yeah stuff like milk etc we don't buy there.
Message 34 of 50
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

I do have to figure out a way to reduce my eating out for lunch expenses. A few replied that they rarely eat out...

Hmmm... Maybe I will start a new thread seeking advice on this subject?? 

Pack your lunch! Smiley Very Happy I'm a huge advocate, lol. I never have time in the morning so my best advice is pack it the night before and try to make it something you really want to eat (your favorite foods) and throw in a little treat. I've never been one for takeout that much but I find bringing lunch saves a lot of money. Depending on where you live/work, lunch can add up! My last job was in a downtown area so it was minimum $10 for lunch (not including a drink, I'm talking about just a sandwich or salad with chips). I can pack my lunch for much less!!

To answer the original topic, I probably spend $50-60 a week on food groceries (more if you're counting other household non-food items). It's only me and my husband but we go through laundry detergent like nobody's business. *scratches head* 

I Would totally pack a lunch. Where my OCD kicks in Is that I'm a self employed contractor and I never have access to a fridge or microwave.  I wonder if anybody makes a 12V microwave? I could make a brand new truck payment on the money I spend on eating out every week! 😦

I'd check Amazon! Smiley Very Happy Do you have a cooler / mini cooler? You could fill it with ice and you could keep a salad or sandwich or something in it. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 35 of 50
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Grillandwinemaster... I've tried Cutting it out of our grocery shopping but if I don't go she goes alone and well that can't be good Smiley Surprised
Message 36 of 50
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Creditplz wrote:
Grillandwinemaster... I've tried Cutting it out of our grocery shopping but if I don't go she goes alone and well that can't be good Smiley Surprised

Gotcha!

That can bee rough! Lol😂

Message 37 of 50
greent
Frequent Contributor

Family of 4. We were doing 700 a month but I actually found the way to cut back while still eating healthy. Now at 600.

Message 38 of 50
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Message 39 of 50
greent
Frequent Contributor

You can totally go off budget at Costco. DH and I shop there every week. We actually have been saving about 200 dollars a month since we started shopping there. But we make a grocery list and stick to it. We only buy one item off the list a week. This past weekend was taquitos! They were so yummy! I usually spend 75 to 100 dollars a week at Costco. The rest, like veggies we shop at our local grocery store. We spend 40- 50 there. We want to get out of debt and be debt free. So we started budgeting and really try to stick to it. But yea at Costco you can really spend a lot of you are not careful.

Message 40 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.