Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grocery Budget

tag
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Re: Grocery Budget

Family of four, monthly spend for groceries and household supplies (paper products, laundry, personal care items included) is between $900 and $1200 depending on the month.

We do Costco, but I'd like to think I'm pretty disciplined about not coming home with extraneous stuff. I shop the sale items and stock up on non-perishables if it is something we will actually use, and on other items I comparison shop to be sure we are actually saving money by Costco-ing them. I also do Walmart for non-perishables (much as I hate it) and Wegmans for all fresh stuff.

For eating out, I'm guessing $400 a month. It might be more or less depending on work and schedules, but it's a reasonable estimate.

Message 41 of 50
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Family of 4 , appx I spend 200 a week on groceries and household items.
Message 42 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

By myself: ~$100 month for food...Could do less but I need meat sometimes. I take or get free samples when I need toiletries.

My boyfriend by himself: $400-500 per month for food and toiletries. He eats out quite a bit.

This is going to be interesting when we combine households.

Message 43 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

By myself: ~$100 month for food...Could do less but I need meat sometimes. I take or get free samples when I need toiletries.

My boyfriend by himself: $400-500 per month for food and toiletries. He eats out quite a bit.

I'm totally with you... I'm not really into food but Hubby loves to eat out. I think he loves food period. I try not to think about how much less I would spend on food without him. I love him to pieces though...I couldn't imagine my life without him. Smiley Happy

Message 44 of 50
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm totally with you... I'm not really into food but Hubby loves to eat out. I think he loves food period. I try not to think about how much less I would spend on food without him. I love him to pieces though...I couldn't imagine my life without him. Smiley Happy

He's a "foodie," it's all good. 

Best wishes to both of you. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 45 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Family size: 2
Monthly budget: $350
Includes: groceries AND all household items such as toilet paper, napkins, household cleaners, grooming supplies etc etc.

My fiancé and I both put 175 into our joint account and do one large shopping trip to Costco and Walmart at the beginning of the month. We typically have about 50-80 left over and use that for more milk, eggs and other perishables.
Message 46 of 50
Enjay
Established Member

Family of 2.5 (son is at college much of the time). When it's just my husband and me, I try to keep the grocery budget to $125 a week. I'm super picky about meat and we belong to a CSA for most of our produce. When son is home, we add about $50 a week to the budget (cook totally differently when he's around).  We spend about $80 a month on cat food and another $25 on cat litter. Restaurant spend is maybe $250 a month.

Message 47 of 50
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@IOBA wrote:

So "back then" your lunch consisted of a portion the size of a yogurt container?? I've heard of the American phenomenon of ever expanding food portions. That's amazing, I Don't think I could survive for too long on that. You we're Ok until dinner time on that? Amazing!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 48 of 50
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Lol - yeah, back then I was ok with it.  And about 70# lighter!   Back then, I didn't feel like I had a choice due to finances.  

I do have what I call "my size" food storage containers.  And I still package things in "my" size and  "everyone else's" size.  My serving size is a little bigger now...usually whatever is the accepted.  Like 1/4 cup of m&m's is one serving size.  I don't eat m&m's anymore.  Didn't back then either.  Fruit is 1 cup raw and a 1/2 cup cooked.  Veggies are the same.  Meat is 1 oz is one serving.  I actually can afford to eat more than one serving - more than 4 oz - per meal now.  (I ate Probably didn't help with the weight gain.

Portion sizes in the restaurants have gotten a LOT bigger!  Man, when I worked at McDonalds we only had one size fry (not called the kid size) and we only had one size drink, except for in the summer, when they started the Super sizing!  That super size drink is not the "regular."  The kid size drink was the regular back then.  So many changes!

I wouldn't recommend the 4 oz a meal thing...I only did it because of finances.  I would recommend real portion sizes, not the restaurant or what looks good.

If I was feeding just me, I think the food bill would be a lot less!  When it's just me, it's easier to stick to good portion sizes and a good budget.

Message 49 of 50
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@IOBA wrote:

Lol - yeah, back then I was ok with it.  And about 70# lighter!   Back then, I didn't feel like I had a choice due to finances.  

I do have what I call "my size" food storage containers.  And I still package things in "my" size and  "everyone else's" size.  My serving size is a little bigger now...usually whatever is the accepted.  Like 1/4 cup of m&m's is one serving size.  I don't eat m&m's anymore.  Didn't back then either.  Fruit is 1 cup raw and a 1/2 cup cooked.  Veggies are the same.  Meat is 1 oz is one serving.  I actually can afford to eat more than one serving - more than 4 oz - per meal now.  (I ate Probably didn't help with the weight gain.

Portion sizes in the restaurants have gotten a LOT bigger!  Man, when I worked at McDonalds we only had one size fry (not called the kid size) and we only had one size drink, except for in the summer, when they started the Super sizing!  That super size drink is not the "regular."  The kid size drink was the regular back then.  So many changes!

I wouldn't recommend the 4 oz a meal thing...I only did it because of finances.  I would recommend real portion sizes, not the restaurant or what looks good.

If I was feeding just me, I think the food bill would be a lot less!  When it's just me, it's easier to stick to good portion sizes and a good budget.

I do remember reading about the kids meal French fries being the regular serving size for adults.  One small thing I do to compensate is that we usually order 1 regular order of fries and we split it between all of our family. (5people) we have found that its actually plenty of fries for all of us.  Sometimes we get funny looks from other families.  I feel like telling them something along the lines of " we can afford to buy more fries, we only ordered 1 because that's what we want!" 

Message 50 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.