cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - Need assistance getting into Navy Federal CU.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP - Need assistance getting into Navy Federal CU.

So I had assumed that since my father was honorably discharged Navy(not RET), then he'd qualify to be a member and then I could get in.  Well thats not the case.  Only active duty or retired persons can join.  Is there any other way?  They are close to me, and very friendly for all types of loans for all types of credit.  Is there any tricks to get into their membership?  Nothing illegal lol, just loopholes or known ways?  If not I understand.  

PS:  This is not me asking about impersonating any US Military service person whatsoever.  So please dont go there.  

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: HELP - Need assistance getting into Navy Federal CU.

There isn't any other way.

You could however place a personal ad on Craiglist and see if you can marry somebody ....Heart

Message 2 of 23
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

All the eligiblity info is on their site.  The only "trick" not mentioned on their site is if you're a member of a credit union that they acquire.

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually I found another way.  I found it on another forum burried deep in a thread.  Apparently there are several military "Clubs" you can join (very cheaply), and they make you elligible for membership to NFCU.  The NFCU reps over the phone wont tell you which work, but they will confirm if a selected group does work if you supply the name.  But due to the condenending nature of the replys here, I can see that you all are not interested in really helping me, so Im going to return the favor.  My way worked by the way.  Im now a member, thanks to noboy here.  So carry on people, and this thread can be deleted.

Message 4 of 23
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

There isn't any other way.

You could however place a personal ad on Craiglist and see if you can marry somebody ....Heart

+1

This is why I was so excited to get my USAF brother to join back in November... he's getting out next month, and he'll be two years shy of retirement.  If he hadn't joined before May he wouldn't have been able to join on his own merits - and the rest of the family would have been locked out as well. 

There is always a chance you'll be able to get in by a chain of relation at some point, but it's up to your relatives.  For example, my brother (and I) being members makes our parents and grandparents eligible.  If our grandparents become members, then our aunts and uncles are eligible, their children, and so on.  It would work the other way for you as well... if you had a cousin to enlist and join NFCU then your grandparents would become eligible, then you.  Or if a cousin married a member it would work the same way.

My brother was familiar with them somewhat, but it took a little 'nudge' from me to get him to get on the computer and join.  (I offered to pay for his $5 share deposit, but he turned me down... LOL).  After he joined, he realized why they are such a 'big deal' to the folks he works with, and there's a local branch near where he lives as well.

There's also a household loophole, but honestly I woudn't recommend it - as great as NFCU is, their security dept is said to be quite humorless.  There are more than a couple of threads where folks had all their accounts frozen (including checking/savings) until they were able to verify that they were truly eligible for membership, and it is almost always somebody who uses a 'roommate' as a sponsor.  I'm not saying it can't work (they do allow "household members") but it's not for the faint of heart - and wouldn't be worth the risk to me. 

CH7's suggestion of marrying somebody that's eligible is a way in as well.  I would offer to assist, but unless you don't mind a five-o-clock shadow and can grill a good steak it would never work out.  Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 23
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually I found another way.  I found it on another forum burried deep in a thread.  Apparently there are several military "Clubs" you can join (very cheaply), and they make you elligible for membership to NFCU.  The NFCU reps over the phone wont tell you which work, but they will confirm if a selected group does work if you supply the name.  But due to the condenending nature of the replys here, I can see that you all are not interested in really helping me, so Im going to return the favor.  My way worked by the way.  Im now a member, thanks to noboy here.  So carry on people, and this thread can be deleted.

I'm sorry you felt as if you weren't being helped... I think more people didn't respond since NFCU membership has been discussed quite a bit on here, and they likely assumed you had read the other threads already.

I'm genuinely intrigued about joining a military club for NFCU membership... I know that's a possibility for PenFed, but I've never read about that being an option for NFCU. 

If you don't want to share your source I understand, but please at a minimum check and double-check your information... like I mention in my previous post, NFCU does not "play" when it comes to eligibility. 

Message 6 of 23
SUMRFUN
Established Member

...wow...guess I'm out for now...but I'm sure there will be a way, somehow.

As of 7/22: FICO EX-794 EQ-792 TU-798
Total Credit Limits $255K = Credit util 1% overall AAoA 5.2 years...All thanks to the forum!
Message 7 of 23
creditguy
Valued Contributor

I have read this on other forums, people saying they have a way to join NFCU by joining a group by making a donation. One example was joining the us navy league, the caveat was you had to go to a branch in person and speak to a supervisor because only they were privy to this top secret info. A person claimed this supervisor had a whole list of organizations you could join that qualifies you for NFCU membership.

My take is, it sounds like total bs. Others tried this and were told by a supervisor they know nothing of this. Of course they were called liars or told you didn't give the secret handshake blah blah blah. Navy along with others like Pen Fed and USAA make their membership requirements clear up front, there is no secret back door ways in, sorry it just makes no sense for these banks to secret back doors. If it were really that easy to join Navy everyone would join.
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are both 100% correct and 100% incorrect at the same time.  Ill PM you/

Message 9 of 23
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You are both 100% correct and 100% incorrect at the same time.  Ill PM you/

I really hope this works for you.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are many, many reports of people getting shut down after getting in to Navy.  The frontline staff isn't very well informed, but they have an aggressive membership audit group.  Some people have fibbed about their family member or whatever, and Navy has closed their accounts.

Just be aware that this could happen.  And I sincerely hope it doesn't.

Congratulations

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.