Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Pull for Penfed Membership

tag
Fated4Credit
Regular Contributor

Hard Pull for Penfed Membership

I'm guessing I was one of the unlucky few to get a HP from EQ when I applied for membership yesterday. I didn't get the alert from Credit Karma until hrs later. I've been hearing for months about Penfed being a SP & I guess that's why I even held off from applying months ago when I heard a lot of reports on SPs cause I was still spectical. I even called a CS rep to ask about possibly reusing the HP for a credit card, no go. The rep said that would have to be a separate pull, so I inquired about them changing over to a new system for SP membership & the rep told me that the new system is being "delayed". I was planning on holding off on getting the PCR after membership, but if I'm going to take another hit might as well do it now. I already got approved for the US Bank Cash+ earlier this week so might as well let all the inquiries age off around the same time. Still a little disappointed about the HP thou, at least my EQ report had 0 inquiries at the time.

Discover: $15,900
Cap One QS: $4811
CFU: $8,000
PPMC: $12,000
US Bank Cash+: $13,000
Penfed Powercash Rewards: $7,500
AAOA: 3.5 yrs
Experian (Fico 8) 756
Transunion (Fico 8) 757
Equifax (Fico 8) 764
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Matt9543
Established Contributor

Re: Hard Pull for Penfed Membership

I may have misunderstood, but I thought all Penfed membership apps were HP. I have heard too though that sometimes, if you're lucky, they will reuse that hard pull.

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 2 of 29
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Most of the DP's for Penfed membership have been "SP".

OP, I would call and try to get them to re-use the HP for a card?

You should have 30 days I believe? .. someone correct me if I am wrong?

Message 3 of 29
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Signing up is hit or miss.  

It was an HP when I joined, a SP when DW joined.

...it's a coin flip.

As always, plan for a hard pull and you'll always be pleasantly surprised by a soft one.  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 4 of 29
NotRalphKramden
New Contributor

It was a HP on 9/15 when I joined, I told CSR in that case I want to apply for PCR, too.  They HP'd me again and denied me. But I'm a member now.

Message 5 of 29
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@NotRalphKramden wrote:

It was a HP on 9/15 when I joined, I told CSR in that case I want to apply for PCR, too.  They HP'd me again and denied me. But I'm a member now.

That is unfortunate, sorry for your denialSmiley Sad.

MHO is try again, after 6 months or longer.

Message 6 of 29
NotRalphKramden
New Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@NotRalphKramden wrote:

That is unfortunate, sorry for your denialSmiley Sad.

MHO is try again, after 6 months or longer.

I've set my garden goal for just over a year. Need many things to age. Unfortunately, I'm aging,too. Much closer to the end of the marathon than the beginning.

Message 7 of 29
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@NotRalphKramden,

Sorry .. I did not see your garden goal on your siggy.

Welcome to the aging club.Smiley Indifferent

Message 8 of 29
Fated4Credit
Regular Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Most of the DP's for Penfed membership have been "SP".

OP, I would call and try to get them to re-use the HP for a card?

You should have 30 days I believe? .. someone correct me if I am wrong?

That's what I asked, I wouldn't have minded the HP if it could have been used for a CC also, but I was told they no longer reuse pulls, it would have to a separate.

Experian (Fico 8) 756
Transunion (Fico 8) 757
Equifax (Fico 8) 764
Message 9 of 29
Fated4Credit
Regular Contributor

@NotRalphKramden wrote:

That's what I'm anxious about alittle too, I've been gardening for 15 months & my only new account would be the Cash+ once it hits my reports. I also have like 4 inquiries across the bureaus, 4% UT.  No derogs, so u think I would be a shoe in for the PCR,  but u never know. I am considered low income (36k) so I don't know if that could be an issue 🤔

Experian (Fico 8) 756
Transunion (Fico 8) 757
Equifax (Fico 8) 764
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.