Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on deciding possible new CU for banking/credit products

tag
joeydtx
Regular Contributor

Help on deciding possible new CU for banking/credit products

Hi All, 

Hoping I could get some advice on a possible change to a new CU to bank with, which currently my main bank is with SSFCU.  Though generally I have had no issues aside from when I did have an issue with them with a incorrect transaction and got nothing but snappy attitude on it until they saw I was correct all along, just been basically just where my money goes and pay my bills from.  

They have been my  main CU since 2014, I have heard that they are pretty conservative on credit products which was relevant when they denied me a LOC in 2018... the UW basically told me I need better credit (reason I applied to prove myself I said to myself lol)  Based on this, I thought I would seek some advice and see if the community could offer any friendly advice if there is a better option out there.  I do have other CUs open but never really used them except DCU which I used their Quick Loan when I had an emergency this year... all paid off now.  SSFCU benefit is basically it is down the street and did allow me to have a secured credit card.

What I am looking for

• Nice friendly CU experience for my banking
  • Great mobile and online options if needed if its a national CU like Alliant who would not be here (reside in San Antonio, TX)
  • Decent card/LOC/personal options for an "Average Joe" like myself.  Scores are currently around 650 
  • Decent chance for some credit products with such scores
  • Optional - Nice rates of Savings products

CUs I do have a membership with, two of which have a Payday benefit I believe

• RBFCU (in SA as well)
  • Alliant
  • DCU - Two day early pay
  • BCU (Baxter) - Employer CU, Two day early pay

I will keep SSFCU open as just an emergency stop in case I needed a cashiers check or if my scores got 700+ for a real CC from them if a better option is there.

Thanks in Advance Smiley Happy

~JD
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help on deciding possible new CU for banking/credit products

If you have military affiliation, NFCU is a no-brainer. 

SSFCU is definitely conservative. They put me through the wringer for my Power Cash Back March of last year and then approved me for the minimum $5K at the maximum 18% APR. It is still there to this day and they tell me that they need a HP to review for an increase in limit or an APR reduction. I also asked about PCing to their travel card and they told me I would have to apply for it and go through the whole process again. No thanks. 

Their website and app are awful too...

RBFCU has a lot of fans from Texans but I don't have any experience personally (I'm in CO). NFCU has been amazing and they specifically seem to love to help (re)builders. 

Message 2 of 19
joeydtx
Regular Contributor

Guess I forgot to add NFCU to my membership list, but unfortunately since they were the victim to my Ch7 back in 2017, were probably the sadess creditor I knew I was going to have to burn and with them everything was excellent.  Medical and job income loss for a span of 2 years, with Discover (my lowest creditor mind you) forced my hand when they hit me with papers, and though I considered seeing if I could work through it thought it might not be worth if others started up on their own. Smiley Sad

Surprisingly enough, my Checking and Savings are still active but I know I am barred for life from credit.  I still buy a scratch off lottery in the hopes of a decent prize to repay them, but not on the premise of credit but more of a moral thing since they had been wonderful.

~JD
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that's a bummer. Sorry to hear it. Smiley Sad

My next suggestion would be DCU honestly. They're conservative with limits but the $1K card they gave me in February was when I got denials from everyone else because of my addition of so many accounts between September and January (6) and if I actually were to put money in my checking and savings with them, I'm sure that card would grow. Although with no rewards to speak of and their rewards card being lackluster compared to everything else, the only thing I would ever use it for is a low APR overdraft protection which DCU has a form for. 

I went CU shopping myself this year and I ended up just deciding in the end to stay with my local bank. There were drawbacks to every single one of the CUs that my bank doesn't suffer from - the only thing I don't like about my bank is their credit products and I've come to believe that it's actually a good idea to have your primary bank account separate from any place you have credit at. DCU's early direct deposit would have been nice though for sure. 

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

My order of credit unions, Texas resident as well.

1. NFCU
2. RBFCU
3. BECU (It’s a process for membership)
4. Penfed
5. DCU
6. SSFCU
Message 5 of 19
joeydtx
Regular Contributor

@Df82 Any details on your RFBCU relationship?  Would they be more helpful for fair credit profile than SSFCU?  Have not heard of BECU but will be looking at their stuff here now Smiley Happy

~JD
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for card before membership with RBFCU, was approved for $25K card and then applied for membership. As you may know they pull TU. I believe my score at the time was a 720.

If I were you I’d work on getting your scores to at least a 680. SSFCU isn’t as generous and requires POI for everything.
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joeydtx wrote:

@Df82 Any details on your RFBCU relationship?  Would they be more helpful for fair credit profile than SSFCU?  Have not heard of BECU but will be looking at their stuff here now Smiley Happy

Just beware that BECU, if you get caught up i verification, will require everything except a DNA test to get in. They don't like out of state members and will say as much to you despite them having the NWCUF loophole for membership. I ended up having quite a lot of trouble with them and just decided in the end to write them off. I was able to get my $25 foundation donation back so fortunately I only ended up being out $.98 in faxes but BECU is the reason I decided to leave CUs alone for awhile. 

Message 8 of 19
joeydtx
Regular Contributor

Probably avoid BECU then, as with my luck I will have issues.  

I also forgot to mention a old account as well, that I have membership with, PSECU.  Also looking at others, I saw BB&T from an ad, and when I looked them up on here saw that there has also been talk on the forums as they have a preapproval for credit cards.  They have a current checking offer for a free 300$ that seems relatively easy to qualify for and there is a branch close by... first time hearing about them but free monies is tempting 

~JD
Message 9 of 19
Green456
Established Contributor

@joeydtx wrote:

Hi All, 

Hoping I could get some advice on a possible change to a new CU to bank with, which currently my main bank is with SSFCU.  Though generally I have had no issues aside from when I did have an issue with them with a incorrect transaction and got nothing but snappy attitude on it until they saw I was correct all along, just been basically just where my money goes and pay my bills from.  

They have been my  main CU since 2014, I have heard that they are pretty conservative on credit products which was relevant when they denied me a LOC in 2018... the UW basically told me I need better credit (reason I applied to prove myself I said to myself lol)  Based on this, I thought I would seek some advice and see if the community could offer any friendly advice if there is a better option out there.  I do have other CUs open but never really used them except DCU which I used their Quick Loan when I had an emergency this year... all paid off now.  SSFCU benefit is basically it is down the street and did allow me to have a secured credit card.

What I am looking for

• Nice friendly CU experience for my banking
  • Great mobile and online options if needed if its a national CU like Alliant who would not be here (reside in San Antonio, TX)
  • Decent card/LOC/personal options for an "Average Joe" like myself.  Scores are currently around 650 
  • Decent chance for some credit products with such scores
  • Optional - Nice rates of Savings products

CUs I do have a membership with, two of which have a Payday benefit I believe

• RBFCU (in SA as well)
  • Alliant
  • DCU - Two day early pay
  • BCU (Baxter) - Employer CU, Two day early pay

I will keep SSFCU open as just an emergency stop in case I needed a cashiers check or if my scores got 700+ for a real CC from them if a better option is there.

Thanks in Advance Smiley Happy

I use BECU and  PenFed. By far BECU has the best mobile app but it does not have high interest savings account.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.