Help on deciding possible new CU for banking/credit products

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help on deciding possible new CU for banking/credit products

@Green456 wrote:

@joeydtx wrote:

Hi All, 

Hoping I could get some advice on a possible change to a new CU to bank with, which currently my main bank is with SSFCU.  Though generally I have had no issues aside from when I did have an issue with them with a incorrect transaction and got nothing but snappy attitude on it until they saw I was correct all along, just been basically just where my money goes and pay my bills from.  

They have been my  main CU since 2014, I have heard that they are pretty conservative on credit products which was relevant when they denied me a LOC in 2018... the UW basically told me I need better credit (reason I applied to prove myself I said to myself lol)  Based on this, I thought I would seek some advice and see if the community could offer any friendly advice if there is a better option out there.  I do have other CUs open but never really used them except DCU which I used their Quick Loan when I had an emergency this year... all paid off now.  SSFCU benefit is basically it is down the street and did allow me to have a secured credit card.

What I am looking for

• Nice friendly CU experience for my banking
  • Great mobile and online options if needed if its a national CU like Alliant who would not be here (reside in San Antonio, TX)
  • Decent card/LOC/personal options for an "Average Joe" like myself.  Scores are currently around 650 
  • Decent chance for some credit products with such scores
  • Optional - Nice rates of Savings products

CUs I do have a membership with, two of which have a Payday benefit I believe

• RBFCU (in SA as well)
  • Alliant
  • DCU - Two day early pay
  • BCU (Baxter) - Employer CU, Two day early pay

I will keep SSFCU open as just an emergency stop in case I needed a cashiers check or if my scores got 700+ for a real CC from them if a better option is there.

Thanks in Advance Smiley Happy

I use BECU and  PenFed. By far BECU has the best mobile app but it does not have high interest savings account.

Well, its 6% for the first $500.

Message 11 of 19
Green456
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Green456 wrote:

@joeydtx wrote:

Hi All, 

Hoping I could get some advice on a possible change to a new CU to bank with, which currently my main bank is with SSFCU.  Though generally I have had no issues aside from when I did have an issue with them with a incorrect transaction and got nothing but snappy attitude on it until they saw I was correct all along, just been basically just where my money goes and pay my bills from.  

They have been my  main CU since 2014, I have heard that they are pretty conservative on credit products which was relevant when they denied me a LOC in 2018... the UW basically told me I need better credit (reason I applied to prove myself I said to myself lol)  Based on this, I thought I would seek some advice and see if the community could offer any friendly advice if there is a better option out there.  I do have other CUs open but never really used them except DCU which I used their Quick Loan when I had an emergency this year... all paid off now.  SSFCU benefit is basically it is down the street and did allow me to have a secured credit card.

What I am looking for

• Great mobile and online options if needed if its a national CU like Alliant who would not be here (reside in San Antonio, TX)
  • Decent card/LOC/personal options for an "Average Joe" like myself.  Scores are currently around 650 

• RBFCU (in SA as well)
  • Alliant

I will keep SSFCU open as just an emergency stop in case I needed a cashiers check or if my scores got 700+ for a real CC from them if a better option is there.

I use BECU and  PenFed. By far BECU has the best mobile app but it does not have high interest savings account.

Well, its 6% for the first $500.

True. I keep actually about $1,000 in there to have buffer for my checking account. The rate comes down to 2.5% but reminder of my savings are kept at PenFed.

Message 12 of 19
joeydtx
Regular Contributor

Hi All, 

Been a bit on this, but thought I would just update and not make a new thread for the same reason and repeat.  So In Aug I did decide to move to DCU and in terms of day to day banking no issues.. deposits come in at 3pm CST on Weds and all is well.  Unfortunately there is just the small part that is unsatisfied, and debating on relooking and hope I could get any additional advice.

I am highly interested in a LOC for my account which is the area im not completely satisfied with, as I am a bit paranoid that I could forget I paid something and end up being short on something... like my rent which back in 2017 happened but luckily SSFCU has the service and paid it for me while waving the fee without asking since it was my first time ever.  As mentioned I have Navy Fed, and had the LOC so it was really nice to advance me a bit directly with the checks they provided which is probably a luxury but would love to have that back. Not sure if DCU works the same way since it says "overdraft" but reached out and asked a couple of times on the phone with DCU and their chat for their Overdraft Line of Credit which from what I understand you need to ask for directly (even found it in new terms I got in the mail couple days ago) but they always refer back to their OD Payment service and that I am protected up to 1500.  So I decided to apply for their credit card instead in Nov, as I thought maybe they were not answering me at the time as maybe they discontiued it and thought I was asking about that instead (FYI at this point 2yr, 3 mo post bk7)... denied for BK with EQ score of 671 and 45 UTI so defeated on that front.

So bringing y'all up to current, I am mulling if there could be a better options for me and looked a bit more.  Based from previous feedback, these seem to be good but would look at others as well.  What I am looking for is good CS experience for my banking and the LOC (work in progress likely), and some decent credit products.  I am not a big tier credit person, I only make 42k a year base(though been 53-55k 3 yrs straight with all my overtime) so I am happy with a low interest or even 1.5 cash back cards Smiley Happy  My credit is 660's now so its still a journey as I still am letting my credit heal itself as well.

• BCU (Baxter) - Already a member as mentioned, has LOC and even has secured versions of a LOC (currently sent them for more info on how it works) and has 3.00% APY on balances up to $15,000.  2 days payday as well
  • BECU - This was a CU mentioned previously, but would be willing to try for membership if they are that good - has Courtesy Pay and hopefully the LOC mentioned
  • RBFCU - Also a member as well, does have a LOC but probably conservative like SSFCU
  • Alliant - I have my excess savings here, do not think they have a LOC though

(member of PenFed and PSECU as well, though they are just open)

Any insights or recommendations, feel free and hope all that read had a great New Years! Smiley Happy

~JD
Message 13 of 19
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

I just did this exact same thinking for myself. I ended up choosing BECU and PenFed. BECU has a nice savings rate of 4% on checking and 6% on savings up to $500 in each. Both of these options offer a LOC and both have CCs such as the low APR and 1.5% cards you mentioned. PenFed is a little more conservative with their lending but BECU is geo-locked and has caused some issues for others in the past. I personally just got into BECU this past week and I'm in Colorado so out of range. I think you could even go down with just one of them and I personally would choose BECU.

Message 14 of 19
joeydtx
Regular Contributor

Well, I bite the bullet, and joined the train for BECU.  Was not even considering moving but after calling I again got stonewalled about the Overdraft LOC, as if no one knew what I was talking about.  Guess we will see, the only thing that I am now mulling about is the 2 day "early" payday, which I am not sure BECU does at all.

BECU.png

~JD
Message 15 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@joeydtx wrote:

Well, I bite the bullet, and joined the train for BECU.  Was not even considering moving but after calling I again got stonewalled about the Overdraft LOC, as if no one knew what I was talking about.  Guess we will see, the only thing that I am now mulling about is the 2 day "early" payday, which I am not sure BECU does at all.

BECU.png

My recommendation would be Langley FCU, which is a great credit union, and has a low interest,. excellent overdraft line of credit.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 16 of 19
joeydtx
Regular Contributor

Just received a bit ago approval for BECU, member ID and even direct link to set up my online profile.  

@SouthJamaica  I also did apply for Langley, and received a denial Smiley Sad  I am not sure why, just a "Account Opening Unsuccessful" email and no reasons stated.  

~JD
Message 17 of 19
Green456
Established Contributor

@joeydtx wrote:

Hi All, 

What I am looking for

• RBFCU (in SA as well)
  • Alliant

I too found a lot of credit union customer service departments not on par what I expected. I had recently PenFed give me attitude because I requested form to be sent to my house instead of me printing it online. I had my own issues with Alliant as well.

I do have BECU account and they may fit your requirements.

Their customer service was always friendly towards me. Their app is very smooth to use, has a built in money manager. They do have LOC for checking accounts.

Where they really shine is lack of fees. Unlike most banks and credit unions they do not have inactivity fee or dormant account fee. They have no requirements for checking or savings accounts so once you open them there is again no fees. They seem to be more open to give credit than PenFed. They will reimburse ATM fees, although not much I think only $6 but it's enough for me. Their checking and savings accounts give 4% and 6% respectively on first 500 in each. Now writing this post I am realizing that I should be probably closing my PenFed membership. 

Message 18 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@joeydtx wrote:

Just received a bit ago approval for BECU, member ID and even direct link to set up my online profile.  

@SouthJamaica  I also did apply for Langley, and received a denial Smiley Sad  I am not sure why, just a "Account Opening Unsuccessful" email and no reasons stated.  

Congratulations on BECU.

You might want to give Langley a call. Their CSR's are a cut above and there might be a simple explanation which can be corrected.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.