Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High-Yield Money Market Savings Experiences

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: High-Yield Money Market Savings Experiences

@Aim_High wrote:

I agree that having requirements such as debit card transactions to earn a higher rate muddies the water in terms of calculating both the financial cost of meeting it (in terms of lost rewards) as well as the inconvenience of managing the transactions on a monthly basis to get that higher return on a relatively small balance.  

The question of locking in the higher rate of return on CDs is something else I've considered.  Particularly at this point, it appears to me that the economy and markets are too volatile to commit to a very long term on CD investments. 

Note there is no need for incurring lost rewards for these accounts.   I use cash app and bluebird for my (soon-to-be) Liberty FCU account.  Load money to those and move it straight back to a bank account (cash app) or pay a credit card (bluebird) so it is just the monthly bother (and the relatively small balance, $20K).

Re CDs: within my iRA at present I am mainly buying 1 month CDs (currently ~ 2.1% APR) waiting for the Sep Fed meeting.   Of course, after that I might be waiting for the next, so at some point I have to commit funds to a longer term for a higher rate.  12 months is currently 3.15%, but I also have 12 month CDs bought in April paying a massive 1.6% which is why I am a little shy!

Message 21 of 73
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

I just use Ally. They never have the best rates, but they're always toward the top (they went to 1.85% on 8/26), and the FIs that have substantially better rates tend to have too many hoops. Ally is painless, with good customer service, and their high limits make them one of the better options for a hub account.

I also have some money in I-Bonds and occasionally have some money resting in money market funds, but those serve slightly different purposes. I avoid CDs; with interest rates so low for so long, they haven't made a lot of sense, and with interest rates rising unpredictably, they seem a bad gamble at the moment. Plus if I'm keeping money in cash or a cash-equivalent, I want it liquid.

Message 22 of 73
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

I agree that having requirements such as debit card transactions to earn a higher rate muddies the water in terms of calculating both the financial cost of meeting it (in terms of lost rewards) as well as the inconvenience of managing the transactions on a monthly basis to get that higher return on a relatively small balance.  

The question of locking in the higher rate of return on CDs is something else I've considered.  Particularly at this point, it appears to me that the economy and markets are too volatile to commit to a very long term on CD investments. 

Note there is no need for incurring lost rewards for these accounts.   I use cash app and bluebird for my (soon-to-be) Liberty FCU account.  Load money to those and move it straight back to a bank account (cash app) or pay a credit card (bluebird) so it is just the monthly bother (and the relatively small balance, $20K).

Re CDs: within my iRA at present I am mainly buying 1 month CDs (currently ~ 2.1% APR) waiting for the Sep Fed meeting.   Of course, after that I might be waiting for the next, so at some point I have to commit funds to a longer term for a higher rate.  12 months is currently 3.15%, but I also have 12 month CDs bought in April paying a massive 1.6% which is why I am a little shy!

2.1% APY seems awfully high for a 1 month CD. But not bad at all considering lock up term.

Bankrate is showing 3.65% on 5 year CDs which equates to a 17% return in 5 years.

https://www.bankrate.com/banking/cds/cd-rates/#top-cd-rates-by-term

https://www.calculator.net/cd-calculator.html?cstartingprinciple=20000&cinterestrate=3.65&ccompound=...

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 23 of 73
5KRunner
Frequent Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

Thanks @5KRunner.  That e*Trade account was one I considered in my opening comments since it's a very competitive rate and from a wll-known financial institution.   What are your impressions with it so far?  Keep us updated in the thread when you get a chance. 

Sure thing! I opened the account late last Thursday, 8/25, and used my Alliant HYSA as a funding source. E*Trade initiated the transfer immediately, without waiting for verification via Plaid or micro-transaction, which I found strange.

I received a notification from Alliant on Friday regarding the transfer, though I'm not sure which side to credit for the speed at which the transaction was processed.

On Saturday, I attempted to add an additional transfer account on the E*Trade website to enable transfers to my primary financial institution (BoA). Unfortunately, they allow the addition of only one transfer account for the first 60 days after account opening.

Funds are still not available, though that's not surprising, as this is only the 2nd business day since the account was opened.

Their mobile app and website are both easy to navigate, though quite bare-bones compared to Merrill (my primary brokerage account, as I'm planning to climb the Preferred Rewards ladder at BoA) or Schwab (my secondary brokerage account, where the majority of my holdings are in SWVXX).

And finally, here's why I chose E*Trade over some of the other FIs offering higher yields: they're backed by Morgan Stanley, which is the 6th-largest bank in the country in terms of assets and 4th-largest by market cap, and they're among the banks considered systemically important to the US and world economies. In other words, they're big, reliable and likely to be around for a while.

Message 24 of 73
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@5KRunner wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

Thanks @5KRunner.  That e*Trade account was one I considered in my opening comments since it's a very competitive rate and from a wll-known financial institution.   What are your impressions with it so far?  Keep us updated in the thread when you get a chance. 

Sure thing! I opened the account late last Thursday, 8/25, and used my Alliant HYSA as a funding source. E*Trade initiated the transfer immediately, without waiting for verification via Plaid or micro-transaction, which I found strange.

I received a notification from Alliant on Friday regarding the transfer, though I'm not sure which side to credit for the speed at which the transaction was processed.

On Saturday, I attempted to add an additional transfer account on the E*Trade website to enable transfers to my primary financial institution (BoA). Unfortunately, they allow the addition of only one transfer account for the first 60 days after account opening.

Funds are still not available, though that's not surprising, as this is only the 2nd business day since the account was opened.

Their mobile app and website are both easy to navigate, though quite bare-bones compared to Merrill (my primary brokerage account, as I'm planning to climb the Preferred Rewards ladder at BoA) or Schwab (my secondary brokerage account, where the majority of my holdings are in SWVXX).

And finally, here's why I chose E*Trade over some of the other FIs offering higher yields: they're backed by Morgan Stanley, which is the 6th-largest bank in the country in terms of assets and 4th-largest by market cap, and they're among the banks considered systemically important to the US and world economies. In other words, they're big, reliable and likely to be around for a while.

Thanks for that feedback, @5KRunner, and I'm thinking more-and-more that they are worth a look. 

The underlined paragraph is exactly one reason I mentioned e*Trade as one option under consideration in my opening remarks.  The larger banks tend to be more stable, spend more on customer service, have better technology, and seem to offer more consumer-friendly policies for funding accounts or moving assets later on.   That's why I've tended to focus on the major lenders and was skeptical of rate-chasing with some of these smaller, lesser-known banks that have set up virtual online branches to compete in the money market savings area. 

Just as an aside, there's a lot of ways to rank the relative size of banks, and by assets is a good marker.  I found it interesting, though, that you quoted a much larger size for Morgan Stanley than I expected.  I've usually gone by >this list< which (as-of April 2021 metrics) listed Morgan Stanley as the 17th largest US bank by assets and links the source to the FDIC.  That list was also >mirrored< on the popular financial website, Bankrate.com.  Still very large, but not sixth.  However, I found a list that mirrors your reference to size >on Wikipedia<  with data as-of 09/30/2021.  That list puts Morgan Stanley at 6th, but I noticed the source data was not listed as the FDIC directly.  Instead it was the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) which is the parent government interagency body over the the Federal Reserve Board of Governors (FRB), the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).   So now I'm wondering why the discrepancy in size variations beyond the slight difference in dates, which could have a mostly minor effect from quarter-to-quarter.  Both lists are supposedly by asset size.   This is a little bit of repetition from the recent thread, What is a Major Bank?   Just for consistency, I'll link this paragraph back to that thread for further discussion if anyone would like to digress on that off-topic diversion. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 25 of 73
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

@

2.1% APY seems awfully high for a 1 month CD. But not bad at all considering lock up term.

Bankrate is showing 3.65% on 5 year CDs which equates to a 17% return in 5 years.

https://www.calculator.net/cd-calculator.html?cstartingprinciple=20000&cinterestrate=3.65&ccompound=...

The 1 month 2.1% is the rate I get on some Fidelity Brokered CDs.        I certainly wouldn't get a 5 year CD at this point for that rate, rates are still rising and that's going to look a poor rate fairly soon (IMO!)

Message 26 of 73
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

@

The 1 month 2.1% is the rate I get on some Fidelity Brokered CDs.        I certainly wouldn't get a 5 year CD at this point for that rate, rates are still rising and that's going to look a poor rate fairly soon (IMO!)

Three more Fed rate hikes 0.75% at each FOMC would put the discount rate at 4.5%-4.75% by the end of the year. Yeah we could be seeing 6% CDs by Christmas time.

Rates could be as high as 4.5%-4.75% for 3 years. According to the Fed the optimal balance sheet level is around 4 trillion and at the pace its unwinding that will take about 3 years make happen.

https://advisors.vanguard.com/insights/article/thefedsplantoshrinkitsbalancesheetquickly

Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 27 of 73
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

@

Three more Fed rate hikes 0.75% at each FOMC would put the discount rate at 4.5%-4.75% by the end of the year. Yeah we could be seeing 6% CDs by Christmas time.

Rates could be as high as 4.5%-4.75% for 3 years. According to the Fed the optimal balance sheet level is around 4 trillion and at the pace its unwinding that will take about 3 years make happen.

https://advisors.vanguard.com/insights/article/thefedsplantoshrinkitsbalancesheetquickly

I wouldn't rely on that too much. The Fed has a long track record of going back on its promises to unwind. They tend to start pumping out easy money the moment there's the slightest wobble in the economy. Also, there's an argument we need a "Volcker moment" to get inflation under control, and Volcker had to raise the federal funds rate to 20% to break stagflation. Though we're in unprecedented economic times, so who knows?

That's why I'm not going to lock up any of my money in long- or even mid-term CDs.

Message 28 of 73
mediocrebadguy
Established Member

A little advice for anybody interested in Discover:

If you use their AAA partnership link (discover.com/aaa), you'll always get a slightly better rate for online savings and CDs. Right now it's only .05% more, but in the past I have seen the difference be as high as .5% when compared to the normal Discover accounts. It's in their contract with AAA that their "member rate" has to be better than their street rate (just like AAA requires of hotels that they partner with).

I don't recall having to actually verify my AAA membership when I opened mine, but that was a couple years ago -- the process could be different now.

Message 29 of 73
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@Anonymalous wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

@

I wouldn't rely on that too much. The Fed has a long track record of going back on its promises to unwind. They tend to start pumping out easy money the moment there's the slightest wobble in the economy. Also, there's an argument we need a "Volcker moment" to get inflation under control, and Volcker had to raise the federal funds rate to 20% to break stagflation. Though we're in unprecedented economic times, so who knows?

That's why I'm not going to lock up any of my money in long- or even mid-term CDs.

This time its different with inflation. They were quickly adding the easy money before because of low inflation.

Message 30 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.