Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Yield Savings & online banking

tag
lovelife2
New Contributor

Re: High Yield Savings & online banking

You guys are great, thanks for words "get $$ out of checking", trust me I heard you.    After careful thought, I am going to split the $$$ and go with Ally Bank for Savings, and Discover Savings.  I debated a CD, but decided 2 high yield savings account.  It never occured to me to go with more than 1.  Good advice.   Duh  Smiley Surprised  

My plan is to still close US Bank Checking/Savings (i just hate them).   Torn between Ally Checking & Wells Fargo checking, havent decided yet.  Still keeping my Alaska CU checking.   I like have 2 checking account for different things.  

Message 11 of 17
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@lovelife2 wrote:

You guys are great, thanks for words "get $$ out of checking", trust me I heard you.    After careful thought, I am going to split the $$$ and go with Ally Bank for Savings, and Discover Savings.  I debated a CD, but decided 2 high yield savings account.  It never occured to me to go with more than 1.  Good advice.   Duh  Smiley Surprised  

My plan is to still close US Bank Checking/Savings (i just hate them).   Torn between Ally Checking & Wells Fargo checking, havent decided yet.  Still keeping my Alaska CU checking.   I like have 2 checking account for different things.  

when i left WF for ally for checking and savings there were a few thing i considered. First thing is i didn't like having to use DD or have to have a certain amount of transactions to keep from getting fees. I don't know if that is still the case with WF but really rubbed me the wrong way. Also while its not a lot of interest you get with checking via ally its still better than nothing you would get from WF. I think ally checking interest rate is higher than WF savings rate. Also if you are going to use ally savings may as well match the checking just to cover over draft and the such. Something to consder for wf vs ally for checking also is how many all point atms you have in your area and how close they are you compared to WF , even though ally reimburses 10 dollars a month in atm transaction fees its still nice to not have to worry about and find out where your allpoint atms are. For the allpoint atms are in cvs which are all over the place where I live there are actually more all point atms than WF around here.

I actually had to look at other options for what to do with EF since i just got an email from my CU that they are reducing savings rate to 1.8% I am actually going to move most of my money over to rolling 4 week tbills, and then have maybe 1000 or so in my vanguard prime money market account, which yield is about 2%

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 12 of 17
Creditfan1234
Contributor

If you have not already made the choice and live in Washington State, Idaho Central Credit Union has a High-Yield Online Savings account and anyone who lives in the state of Washington qualifies for membership. Might be worth checking out. 

Message 13 of 17
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

I actually had to look at other options for what to do with EF since i just got an email from my CU that they are reducing savings rate to 1.8% I am actually going to move most of my money over to rolling 4 week tbills, and then have maybe 1000 or so in my vanguard prime money market account, which yield is about 2%

Do T-bills even make sense right now? Looks like the rates are dropping fast.

Message 14 of 17
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@lovelife2 wrote:

I like have two different checking accounts too. I dumped Wells Fargo a few months ago after being a customer for 20 years. If you're doing it for the bonus, make sure you meet all of the requirements and jump through their hoops for the minimum amount of time required. I was able to avoid fees with my direct deposit, so I don't imagine it will be too hard for you. I will say though that I really liked their app and features, and there were plenty of nearby branches & ATMs, so that was always convenient for me. But I never got any money out of them, so I moved on to greener pastures. Currently using DCU & Capital One 360 for checking, but I'm very tempted to give Discover checking a try.

Message 15 of 17
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Do T-bills even make sense right now? Looks like the rates are dropping fast.

I am not even sure at the moment but they aren't much lower than my savings rate at my CU , and they don't get hit my state or local taxes . I have been thinkng maybe just put in prime money market. There aren't really any great options out there right now.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 16 of 17
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

I'm using Wealthfront. It has 2.07% APY right now. I really like the app and the transfers have gone really smoothly. I had to talk to a CSR yesterday and it went very smoothly, just had to answer some compliance questions for a transfer to a new bank account. The transfers always go through in 48 hours. I would definitely recommend it.

AU

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.