Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High yield savings account or international

tag
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

High yield savings account or international

I currently have a Discover savings account which is getting .95% but I've read about international savings accounts that give 5-10%. I obviously want to be getting more each month so if I have a few thousand to play with does it make sense to pursue one? I don't take any international trips often and I live in the USA. I know Barclays has 1% but if it's too much hassle and risk to set up an international account I could create a Barclays one and transfer the bulk of my savings into it. Chase is my "middle man" bank which I have a checking account there so withdrawing/deposits by ATM is simple and distribute it from there.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
tacpoly
Established Contributor

Re: High yield savings account or international

@SkyCommander wrote:

I currently have a Discover savings account which is getting .95% but I've read about international savings accounts that give 5-10%. I obviously want to be getting more each month so if I have a few thousand to play with does it make sense to pursue one? I don't take any international trips often and I live in the USA. I know Barclays has 1% but if it's too much hassle and risk to set up an international account I could create a Barclays one and transfer the bulk of my savings into it. Chase is my "middle man" bank which I have a checking account there so withdrawing/deposits by ATM is simple and distribute it from there.

I think you will find that it is will be difficult to open foreign accounts as a US Citizen.  This is because foreign banks balk at the reporting requirements they would be subject to under the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act for US persons.  You're going to have to make it worth all the trouble (at least 7-8 figures deposit). 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.