cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homeowners Insurance and loss (idk where to put this ?)

tag
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Homeowners Insurance and loss (idk where to put this ?)

If my home is insured for x amount, but the county tax values have dropped following previous hurricanes, what would the Insurance company pay?  Would it be the amt. for the coverage I pay (x amt.) or do they adjust according to the latest adjusted tax stmt.?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Homeowners Insurance and loss (idk where to put this ?)

@GApeachy... interesting question and I suspect there may be more than one answer.

My insurance company does not pay any heed to the State or County valuations on my property.

They have insurance industry formulas/algoriums that contain things such as the loss conditions for my geographic area (forest fires and the like), actual paid losses, new/replacement construction costs for the area and of course their required profit margin (I didn't say that) along with the losses on a larger scale and the status for the fire department ratings, distance from fire hydrants and so on (many other things to numerous for me to put in here - do have it).

Oh, not to be forgotten, the every present insurance score incorporating credit standards. They notified me I did not qualify for their best rate. Interesting, as my FICO8 stands at 850 (not good enough). Yes, I do know that insurance scores are not FICO8 so no need to share that with me!

Message 2 of 14
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh, thank goodness!  After Matthew and Irma our county lowered the taxes in certain areas to give relief.  However, that looks like we're upside down now.  You're input makes me feel a lot better.

You're awesome!  I'm so glad I found this forum- 1st and only in like a decade.  I haven't enjoyed forums, facebook , any social media because of the poor info and stuff out there.  But this forum is awesome cause of ppl like you. So thanks, I've been thinking about this all night because of the storm and thinking, uh-oh we may be screwed.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy... there may be other methods insurance companies can and likely do utilize but a tax basis may not accurately reflect what the real cost of construction or replacement is.

In Minnesota the State oversees all assessing with the County serving more as their local agent. Some cities use their own assessor that still reports to the county. The county reports to the state. Now the assessor establishes an assessed valuation based on formulas provided by the state and that factors in valuations of similar property sales in your local community. The local government (community or township) has to keep the value of a property within 90% to 105% of the values as determined by information from the state and county for certain classes of property (residential, commercial, industrial, vacant land etc). In our state, generally the property assessment is based on a previous three year rolling average and is LOWER than the construction cost values. If the state is not satisfied with the local assessment or what the county has done they do step in and order value changes.

Real life example is: a house that has an assessed value of $93,000 has an insurable value of $150,000. This is example is real.

Now there are other rules for insurance that due effect a complete recovery on a property loss (or it used to be). Your insurance limits had to be within 80% of the insurable value NOT the assessed value.

One last comment now that you have become an expert in property assessments ... other states may use different methods for assessing and insurance companies vary on how they may determine your property values so this would be a conversation with the insurance company! Bring you back to when setting your value for insurance values on the property, I have seen it where companies use 90% also. Why they don't all require 100% is (I can't recall) a question?

Message 4 of 14
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Okay, I hit the jackpot with you!!!!!  Thank you for taking the time to explain.  

Message 5 of 14
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Leave it in Debt Management....cause that's where I'm at.  DEBT!!!!  lol

Message 6 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

do DINOSAURS Recieve Insurance? 😄🦕🦖🤷‍♂️

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCreditthat is AWESOME ... got'ta love the Dino's ... put a smile on my face (or is it just a dumb look?). Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous , If we cant honor the ol' timers whats left to do? Start a thread on Whats so great about Capitol One?😉
Message 9 of 14
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
@Anonymous, If we cant honor the ol' timers whats left to do? Start a thread on Whats so great about Capitol One?😉

Or.....What's So Great About AJC?   hahahahaha!!!!  It would be allllllllll good!!!!!Heart  (now go play with a spider in a corner, you're really being badder than usual mister!)

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.