cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Long Does it Take to get Membership Approval from NFCU?

tag
Have1
Regular Contributor

How Long Does it Take to get Membership Approval from NFCU?

Hello, everyone.  I decided to join Navy FCU to access their auto loans and maybe a credit card.  I am qualified for membership as a veteran. 

I know I am absolutely being impatient and whining:  But it seems to be taking forever to get a membership approval.

I applied early in the morning of 11/9/21 after I unfroze my credit reports just in case (11/9-11/12).  I used my retired ID card number when asked for ID during the sign up process.  I got an account under review email immediately.  I got a request for government ID and address documents about forty minutes later (I assume for setting up the bank account).  When I got home from work that afternoon I sent a scan of my driver's license and most recent pay stub.  I got acknowledgment that they had received the scans.  According to My ID Care an ID check was run for my information on 11/9/21.

It is now 11/13/21 and I have gotten no hint, signal or vibe as to what is going on.  Does anyone have an idea how long this should be taking?  They say 5 business days, but it is only a membership application not a request for credit.  Should I call them?  Do they email you a welcome or only mail you one?  

Thanks for any thoughts and experiences. 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Re: How Long Does it Take to get Membership Approval from NFCU?

You can give them a call to check the status and see if anything else is needed from you.

From what I've read here Navy has been a little short staffed and overwhelmed with new member apps for awhile. 

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 2 of 17
Have1
Regular Contributor

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

You can give them a call to check the status and see if anything else is needed from you.

From what I've read here Navy has been a little short staffed and overwhelmed with new member apps for awhile. 

I called.  The nice gentleman tactfully told me to practice my virtues.  He said I should get an email by Tuesday or Wednesday.  I suppose I should just go outside and do an oil change and tire rotation instead of refreshing my email client like a maniac.

Message 3 of 17
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Have1 wrote:

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

I called.  The nice gentleman tactfully told me to practice my virtues.  He said I should get an email by Tuesday or Wednesday.  I suppose I should just go outside and do an oil change and tire rotation instead of refreshing my email client like a maniac.

Haha yeah I'm not one for patience either! 

You'll be good to go real soon, and you won't regret it. I've been a member for almost 2 years and they've been tremendously generous.

Enjoy your weekend!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 4 of 17
Have1
Regular Contributor

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

@Have1 wrote:

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

Haha yeah I'm not one for patience either! 

You'll be good to go real soon, and you won't regret it. I've been a member for almost 2 years and they've been tremendously generous.

Enjoy your weekend!

You too.

As an aside: I just found an email in the junk folder for an email account that I did not use for my application purporting to be from NFCU dated the 11th.  It tells me to log in to my account to see an important message.

It appears that the phishing industry is well aware of how popular NFCU is. Stay cautious. 

Message 5 of 17
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

I usually give family members my access # and they get approved right away.. but I know a friend of mine took 2-3 weeks and had to send ID & another form of ID

Message 6 of 17
Have1
Regular Contributor

@Creditplz wrote:

I usually give family members my access # and they get approved right away.. but I know a friend of mine took 2-3 weeks and had to send ID & another form of ID

I have piles of documents to prove identity and veteran status so sending in more scans really doesn't bother me. 

I'm just impatient and really wanting to see what kind of rate I'll be able to get for DWs next set of wheels.

Her current vehicle is acting up a bit and I think the time may soon come for her to give up her 280k mile Trailblazer. If I can get her to give it up: She's pretty averse to change. Probably why she hasn't left me, TBH. 

Message 7 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Based on what you've shared so far, it should turn out ok, OP.  

Please be patient, as suggested by the agent you spoke to -- think of how many membership applications they receive on a daily basis. Some delays can be expected based on any due-diligence they'd have to do to ensure everything checks out.  

Message 8 of 17
Have1
Regular Contributor

The answer is:  8 days if your request is immediately followed by Armistice Day and a weekend.  That's 5 business days by my calender.

I got an email the morning of the 16th from Capital One informing me they had blocked a potential fraudulent charge from my card to Navy Federal.  Since that was how I chose to fund my savings account I followed the link to authorize the transaction.  3 minutes after the Capital One email I got an email from Navy FCU addressed "Dear Member" informing me that I needed to call and fund my account or mail them a check to fund it.  I guess that means I am a member.

When I got home I called Navy to fund the account.  When I finally got through to a person (which wasn't very long) she addressed me by my rank.  Since I had not provided my rank when applying, and it was not on any of the documents I submitted, this strongly argues that Navy FCU has access to a database containing somewhat detailed service information for membership verification purposes.  The database apparently includes enough information for them to have identified my military status as retired because my NFCU profile shows "Employment Status:  Retired, Still Employed".  When I applied I chose veteran as my status, instead of retired, since I am still working and not relying on my pension as my main income.

So, there are some DPs about NFCU membership (and my impatience) for anyone interested.

Thanks for the encouragement, advice and tolerance. 

Message 9 of 17
sugarcreek67
Frequent Contributor

Mine took about 6 days from when I called in to apply until accounts opened. was a really easy process for me

>>current scores 12/11/21
EQ Fico9 759 | TU Fico9 763 | EX Fico9 768
EX fico 8 753 | EQ Fico8 745 | TU Fico 8 760 | Navy score 294
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.