Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are you spending your Tax Refund?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How are you spending your Tax Refund?

I thought it would be interesting to see how people manage their tax refunds. Are you saving? Paying off debt? Getting that 75 inch TV you've been eyeing at Costco? Investing in the newest Cryto? Or do you owe money?

This year for me it was mostly savings. I added some cash to my Emergency Fund and I opened a Marcus (Goldman Sachs) High Yield Savings Account were I deposited $2,000 with a 2.25% APY. That's the start or my future house down payment. I also paid off a cruise I'm going on with the family later this summer. The last thing I got which pretty much a demand from my wife was a new washer. The old one seemed to be possessed! Happy Wife, Happy Life! Unlike previous years, I feel like we (Wife and I) really thought about our goals and planned out every dollar before it hit our account. So when it finally did, it was just a matter of moving money around. 

What did you do?

Message 1 of 64
63 REPLIES 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How are you spending your Tax Refund?

Tried to balance being responsible and having fun. So we:

Put $2k into a 6.3k loan

Put $1k into a savings account (Marcus, just like you. Already had 4k in it.)

Took the Wife to a broadway show for Valentine's Day.

Bought clothes for my daughter.

Message 2 of 64
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The assumption is made someone is getting one in the first place. Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 64
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Not me Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 64
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

not getting anywhere near as much as last year, will be less than $1000, just going to pay down credit card debt. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 5 of 64
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Not me Smiley Frustrated

We are a couple of many on the forum who pay the government unfortunately. Smiley Indifferent

But don't let us rain on your parade I'm all for spending your refund however you want whether that's recreationally or having fiscal responsbilities to attend to. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 64
crys12065
Established Contributor

My very small tax return went to pay down my one CC with a balance that isn't 0% interest, that needs paid off by December.  So nothing exciting, but at least I didn't owe any taxes lol

In the garden until 2020
Message 7 of 64
Andypanda
Established Contributor

If i want to loan the government money I will buy t-bills. I would rather owe the government money so until april 15 my money is invested and working for me.

Message 8 of 64
Stribe
Contributor

@Andypanda wrote:

If i want to loan the government money I will buy t-bills. I would rather owe the government money so until april 15 my money is invested and working for me.

This is golden right here... I owe a few bones, but the due date, it's sitting in a HYA making me money.

5/25/2022

Amex BCE $17,4k | Apple Card $7k | Chase Amazon $11k | Chase Ink Cash Business $30,4k | Citi AAdvantage $7,5k | Citi Costco Business $15k | Discover It $15,4k | PayPal $15k | Synch Amazon $10k | Target RC MC $9k | US Bank Cash+ $3k
Message 9 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

The IRS refund status changed to show when mine will come in. Working part time as a student it isn't a huge refund, so most (80%) will go into savings (a CD, actually, where it should've been all along), while I already spent some money on Hue bulbs.

Message 10 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.