cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are you spending your Tax Refund?

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How are you spending your Tax Refund?

Whole darned thing is being invested, completely caught up on my debt now; couple of months ago I was thinking just dropping it on my auto loan since the EV credit was the main driver for a stupidly outsized return, but arbitrage with a 3.85% APR loan vs. nominal 5-6% returns.

Sort of depends where the market is and what date it comes in, vacilating between more equities or dumping it all into a taxable Fundrise account.  If we have a major dip in the stock market the return will go in there, but if we stay flat or we're still up and to the right like January, Fundrise it is.

3/15 is my pay date for my junk bond holding, once that lands going to shuffle all of that over to Fundrise IRA.

Assuming both go to Fundrise that gets me to roughly 10% of my currently invested assets: seems about right.  Go go diversification.

        
Message 31 of 64
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Kforce wrote:

We are a couple of many on the forum who pay the government unfortunately. Smiley Indifferent

You are doing it correctly.

Why overpay and let the government use free money all year.

I try to be close,  plus or minus a few hundred.

Ditto!

I have it down to owing less than $100 each year. Tax season means nothing to me.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 32 of 64
Rogue46
Established Contributor

Lol. What tax refund? 

Message 33 of 64
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Refund. *sigh*. As if. I can call up the IRS and ask them how they’re going to spend the money I just sent THEM. But I guess that’s not what we’re doing here....

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 34 of 64
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Actually had a 5200 tax refund this year.. With that said i was audited 3.5 years ago for 12k+ and been on an installment plan of 130ish a month so the IRS was kind enough (Sigh) to apply it to my remaining 6k balance leaving me with 820ish balance approx.  Although it stinks I have 6 payments left now vs several years and I will be square with the IRS.  Never get audited by the IRS and lose as it truly is painful and draining.  So although it stinks as interest rate was low on installment agreement least I won't have to deal with them after 6 more months.  Fun way to spend my 5200 refund as previous years i have always owed a few k, but not this one sigh.

Message 35 of 64
crys12065
Established Contributor

@OmarR wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

We are a couple of many on the forum who pay the government unfortunately. Smiley Indifferent

You are doing it correctly.

Why overpay and let the government use free money all year.

I try to be close,  plus or minus a few hundred.

Ditto!

I have it down to owing less than $100 each year. Tax season means nothing to me.

I’m going to work on doing that this year.  I’m just always afraid of getting the numbers wrong and owing the IRS a ton of money instead 😳

In the garden until 2020
Message 36 of 64
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Taking my sizable for us refund and using it to pay half the cost of Disney World for my family this upcoming winter.  Next years will be even better, down payment on a house.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 37 of 64
tacpoly
Established Contributor

This year we're getting a ~$2 K refund, which is pretty good since we usually had to write a $30 - 60K check to the government before.  I already spent half on a pair of shoes Smiley Embarassed

Message 38 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a $68 federal tax refund. I got extra guac on my burrito bowl @ Chipotle. Smiley LOL

My refund from NYS was larger: $444. I paid off my Discover and BOA card balances with that since they were so small. Smiley Very Happy

Message 39 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

I take it and pout over the fact that I gave an interest free loan to the government.

Message 40 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.