cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can one get into Navy Federal Credit Union without?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can one get into Navy Federal Credit Union without?

Is there anyway a person can get into NFCU without being a member of miltary or goverment? They seem to want peoples's business. Looks like there be another way. Thank you.

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: How can one get into Navy Federal Credit Union without?

Membership is open to:

• Active Duty members, reservists, veterans, retirees and annuitants of the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard
  • Army and Air National Guard personnel
  • Delayed Entry Program personnel
  • Department of Defense (DoD) civilians
  • U.S. government employees assigned to DoD installations
  • contractors assigned to DoD installations
  • family members of one of the above
  • If you have an immediate family member who has joined or one who’s eligible to join, you can become a Navy Federal member. Immediate family members include grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members. Household members are defined as those who share your address and pay a major utility bill.

Message 2 of 45
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

There are no workarounds anymore. We can probably thank all the credit forums on the webz for that.

Message 3 of 45
creditfan
Established Contributor

it ended back in May 2017

Message 4 of 45
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there anyway a person can get into NFCU without being a member of miltary or goverment? They seem to want peoples's business. Looks like there be another way. Thank you.

I just became a member to NFCU this week - I mentioned my grandfather was in the Army when he was alive for WWII, but I dont think they ever took his name down or what branch he was in or his rank, nothing. And I was just mentioning this is passing too.

Potential Future Cards
Message 5 of 45
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Have any of your relatives served in the military? My father was a WWII veteran and mention of that was sufficient for me to win NFCU membership.

Message 6 of 45
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Keep in mind that you should have proof handy if you plan to use a relative to get in. They can audit your account at any time and they will freeze everything until proof is provided. Lately, it's only happened when trying to use a roommate to get in, but it's better to be safe, than sorry. Especially, if you plan to use them significantly.

Message 7 of 45
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

Have any of your relatives served in the military? My father was a WWII veteran and mention of that was sufficient for me to win NFCU membership.

@ridgebackpilot 

Although they don't ask often I would suggest you have your fathers DD 214 just in case they ask .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 8 of 45
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Those who "mention" things, are you referring to in-branch applications vs online or telephone applications? My father was in the North Carolina Army National Guard in the 1960s. It hadn't occurred to me that this might qualify.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 9 of 45
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@KJinNC wrote:

Those who "mention" things, are you referring to in-branch applications vs online or telephone applications? My father was in the North Carolina Army National Guard in the 1960s. It hadn't occurred to me that this might qualify.

You can do it over the phone. They don't ask for specific details, only basic. Who is your connection, how they qualify, and your relationship to them. When I initially inquired, they said they would send a secure message with a link to upload supporting documents. Later, when I called in to actually open an account, they didn't mention it and I didn't receive any messages. That was 2 years ago. But, I have mine, and my father's paperwork if needed.

Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.