Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I manage my credit card debt?

tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: How do I manage my credit card debt?

@tacpoly wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have a credit card debt of $3800 with BofA. My credit limit is $15,800 and my APR is 25.24%. 

I just saw that this month I paid $76 and some change in interest. I have an offer on the same credit card for direct deposit, 0% until April 2020 and 3% transaction fee. Should I take that offer and pay off my credit card debt?

Like take that offer and I will be charged $90 if I take out $3000 in cash and I won't be charged anything until April 2020? And can I use that money to pay off the same credit card, so that I pay less in interest?

Please help! Thanks

Hi OP

Do you have another checking account that is not with BOA? If yes, have the BT deposited to that checking account. Let it season for about a month. Then use it from there to pay off the BOA credit card. The reason for doing it this way is that usually a financial institution will not allow you to use one of it’s CC to pay off one of it’s accoints. 

It is absolutely nothing wrong with saving $76/month and using that interest to pay off the CC quicker and with less monies. That $90 fee is almost taken care of with one month of interest that you’ve been paying. 

Is this right?  If certain financial institutions grant cash advances that shouldn’t be used to pay debt owed to them, isn’t this advice giving the OP a way to violate that agreement?  

Hmmm. I’ll let the pros answer about violating agreement. But this is the way I would do it and have done it to save money in interest. But I do understand what you’re saying. And, of course, I dont want to be giving out any kind of advice that would violate a CC agreement. So, if I’m wrong, I apologize. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 11 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@tacpoly wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have a credit card debt of $3800 with BofA. My credit limit is $15,800 and my APR is 25.24%. 

I just saw that this month I paid $76 and some change in interest. I have an offer on the same credit card for direct deposit, 0% until April 2020 and 3% transaction fee. Should I take that offer and pay off my credit card debt?

Like take that offer and I will be charged $90 if I take out $3000 in cash and I won't be charged anything until April 2020? And can I use that money to pay off the same credit card, so that I pay less in interest?

Please help! Thanks

Hi OP

Do you have another checking account that is not with BOA? If yes, have the BT deposited to that checking account. Let it season for about a month. Then use it from there to pay off the BOA credit card. The reason for doing it this way is that usually a financial institution will not allow you to use one of it’s CC to pay off one of it’s accoints. 

It is absolutely nothing wrong with saving $76/month and using that interest to pay off the CC quicker and with less monies. That $90 fee is almost taken care of with one month of interest that you’ve been paying. 

Is this right?  If certain financial institutions grant cash advances that shouldn’t be used to pay debt owed to them, isn’t this advice giving the OP a way to violate that agreement?  

Hmmm. I’ll let the pros answer about violating agreement. But this is the way I would do it and have done it to save money in interest. But I do understand what you’re saying. And, of course, I dont want to be giving out any kind of advice that would violate a CC agreement. So, if I’m wrong, I apologize. 

While a bank will not allow you to use one of their cards to directly pay off another debt you owe to them, if you get the funds transferred to your checking account you're free to do so yourself.

This is one method of doing what some refer to as a 'debt shuffle' and is fine to discuss.

Message 12 of 18
iced
Valued Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@TheBoondocks wrote:
So, you're telling me that you have a BT offer on your card which you have debt on, can you have that debt paid off completely but still owe that debt plus interest? To me, logically and economically it doesn't make sense. That's like saying, can you have a personal line of credit to pay off your credit card. I mean yeah you can... But why would you? It's like more debt on more debt.

Bro, if I were you, this is what I would do. Real talk, I would get a full time job with a lot of overtime, and I'll get a part time job on the weekend, work thru a temp agency if you have to. That's what I do and will continue to do, I'm almost done paying off my $1.7K debt.

If say you 0% promo is over just like you said you're not paying that much and interest on, I would use a BT card like Slate, Diamond Preferred/Simplicity and transfer the money to that account, yeah you will pay a fee but your debt would be paid off, however you will have almost 21 months if you choose the Diamond/Simplicity and do it that way. Pay $300-500/m on it. Live life frugal bro. You have to make sacrifices if you want to make it in the real world...

OP has asked a legitimate question. How can he/she manage debt on one CC? Please let’s try to stay on topic and  not give advice that wasn’t asked for.

It is okay to see if there’s a way to save money on interest and this is what a lot of us use BTs for. I know I do and it doesnt mean I’m in debt and need another job or a PT gig. It only means if I transfer to a 0% APR card, I’ll save X amount of dollars for X number of months, thereby saving interest money and using that savings to pay down the balance quicker and hopefully before the promo expires. 

Actually, it does mean you are in debt. There may be a compelling reason you're using a BT, but that doesn't mean it's not debt.

Message 13 of 18
Kforce
Valued Contributor

I am going to give some numbers

New BT loan : 3090 @ 0 for 10 months = 310/month to pay off in 10 or  ~100 minimum payment.

CC now 800 @ 25.24

Pay 100 on new loan and 210 on CC

CC paid in 4 months with loss of $43 interest

Now pay $450/mo on new loan and pay off in 6 months (4/2020)

Interest & Fees (90+43) =  $113

Current cc 3800 with 450/mo = paid in 10 months with loss of 430 interest

Savings of ~320 total cost $113

200 month payments

Current loan $1,103 interest

New loan shuffle 100 each loan then 200 for remainder = ~700 interest

Savings of ~400 total cost ~700

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, this will not work. You already owe BoA $3,800. If you do this direct deposit BT for another $3,000, you'll now owe them $6,800 (plus the 3% fee for the latest BT). You cannot pay off the existing debt by taking on more debt with BoA. 

If you want to shift the existing $3,800 in debt to 0%, you'll need to look at another bank with a credit card offering an introductory 0% balance transfer offer. There are plenty to choose from, but I suggest AmEx's Every Day card. No BT fee and 0% for 15 months (I think). 

Message 15 of 18
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

OP, this will not work. You already owe BoA $3,800. If you do this direct deposit BT for another $3,000, you'll now owe them $6,800 (plus the 3% fee for the latest BT). You cannot pay off the existing debt by taking on more debt with BoA. 

If you want to shift the existing $3,800 in debt to 0%, you'll need to look at another bank with a credit card offering an introductory 0% balance transfer offer. There are plenty to choose from, but I suggest AmEx's Every Day card. No BT fee and 0% for 15 months (I think). 

As the others have mentioned, he won't owe double the debt if he uses the 2nd debt to pay off the first.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 16 of 18
delaney1
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@tacpoly wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

Please help! Thanks

Hi OP

While a bank will not allow you to use one of their cards to directly pay off another debt you owe to them, if you get the funds transferred to your checking account you're free to do so yourself.

This is one method of doing what some refer to as a 'debt shuffle' and is fine to discuss.

Thanks for this! I was confused about all the people who were saying no, you shouldn’t do it. I did this a few years ago without any issues, never would have thought that it wasn’t  permitted since you’re dealing with cash.

Message 17 of 18
Green456
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

Please help! Thanks

Youtube: Dave Ramsey. I used his method to pay off $30,000 credit card debt. Im on my way to be completely debt free 4 years from now.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.