cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you prefer to pay your CC bills?...

tag
cr101
Established Contributor

How do you prefer to pay your CC bills?...

Using billpay via your bank portal?

In your CC portal using a linked bank account?

Also, if you're using billpay, please provide the bank/svc you're using and your likes/dislikes about it (ie: can make same-day payments for free)

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Re: How do you prefer to pay your CC bills?...

Most of my accounts are paid using the issuer's portal (linked bank account). *most offer same day crediting of the account as long as payment is scheduled before set cut off time*

There are a few issuer's I push a payment from my credit union for more control of payment date. (2-5 day's for payment to post -- can schedule up to a year in advance).
Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 2 of 22
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I use the issuer so I have a confirmation number to refer to if there's a problem. If push payment fails, they don't know it was attempted and don't care, all they care about is payment wasn't made.

Message 3 of 22
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Actually, this just happened a couple of days ago with Mission Lane. Unable to make a payment in app or online. Was able to send them screenshots of the error. They took care of it in less than a day. It was a system payment processing error. A push payment would have failed also. They had to create a ticket.

Message 4 of 22
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Actually, this just happened a couple of days ago with Mission Lane. Unable to make a payment in app or online. Was able to send them screenshots of the error. They took care of it in less than a day. It was a system payment processing error. A push payment would have failed also. They had to create a ticket.

This type of issue is why I never wait until last minute to pay. Even my accounts on auto pay are set to pay a week before due; some are set for 5 day's after statement generates... plenty of time to get error corrected if needed. 

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 5 of 22
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@chiefone4u wrote:

This type of issue is why I never wait until last minute to pay. Even my accounts on auto pay are set to pay a week before due; some are set for 5 day's after statement generates... plenty of time to get error corrected if needed. 

Indeed. This payment was 2 weeks ahead of schedule so I wasn't worried about anything. All my due dates are set up in my calendar with alerts of no less than 5 days, usually 7, to give me a buffer if I forget to pay them and/or there's an issue. Typically, I pay at least 2 weeks ahead of due date.

Message 6 of 22
cr101
Established Contributor

I use the issuer so I have a confirmation number to refer to if there's a problem. If push payment fails, they don't know it was attempted and don't care, all they care about is payment wasn't made.

that's a good point. discover's billpay terms say that they'll cover fees if they don't pay on time, but it wouldn't be worth having a "late" payment on record w my cc company. i'll stick to paying via the issuer's portal. :\

Message 7 of 22
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@cr101 wrote:

that's a good point. discover's billpay terms say that they'll cover fees if they don't pay on time, but it wouldn't be worth having a "late" payment on record w my cc company. i'll stick to paying via the issuer's portal. :\

Right, and Discover is a good example. If you're late on your discover, they'll waive the fee for the first time and may waive the fee if you can show proof of a bank error. Regardless, once that late is in their internal records, you can kiss pre-approvals, CLIs, or graduation goodbye for at least a year. My secured took almost 2 years to graduate because I only made a partial payment onr month.  They cited it as the reason. I'm sure having a discover checking would make it easier to fix, but would they remove the internal blemish? 🤷‍♂️

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use my CU's bill pay.  That way I don't have my checking info floating around umpteen websites, and I can pay all my bills (CCs, utilities) from one place.  Plus I can see my checking balance and decide how/when/how much I'm going to pay if I can't afford to PIF.

I usually PIF before statement cut, so I have close to 30 days to fix anything that goes awry before the payment really becomes "due".

Message 9 of 22
Streetervillelady
Frequent Contributor

@cr101 wrote:

Using billpay via your bank portal?

In your CC portal using a linked bank account?

Also, if you're using billpay, please provide the bank/svc you're using and your likes/dislikes about it (ie: can make same-day payments for free)

I use the issuers portal.  I like to have their confirmation numbers in my records.  I use a bank separate from my 2 primary banking relationships for all payments.  I added push payment instructions for each payee.  I have X amount direct deposited into this account bi-monthly.

This community bank was new to our market and offering $300 to new customers.  I decided to keep it for payments to limit exposure.  I use the debit card for odd {one off] purchases online.  My Dad is retired and living in Arizona.  I pay all of his household bills from this account. 

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.