cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you prefer to pay your CC bills?...

tag
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

Re: How do you prefer to pay your CC bills?...

I set up monthly and bi-weekly payments for all my bills through my bank to push payments to the debtee.  My power and gas are on equalized payments so the amounts due don't vary from month to month.  I set up my cc payments bi-weekly and just keep paying them down.  Car payments are a monthly withdrawal by Ford.  I have very little maintenance to do on my payments except for the occasional one-offs.  I use two cards predominately and the other four cards sparingly.  The two main cards have the best benefits/rewards.  I have another cc that gives me very low interest 0-0.99% so if I can't pay off a card in full that month, I simply transfer it over to the low-interest card and that one gets the majority of the bi-weekly payment.  Once the vehicle is paid off in 6 months, I can make larger payments to the low-interest card and decimate the remaining balance quickly.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 11 of 22
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I primarily use the issuer's app and link a checking account. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

With other CCs? Smiley Very Happy

I have totally gotten on board with just paying them online, I used to be stuanch advocate of mailing in a check. Only because I have so many that i might as well use them since  I paid for them. But it got to be too much juggling to know when to send the check and not be late and also correspond with my paychecks. And after a couple instances of said creditor not getting the "payment" only for me to resort to maing it online. Then to have two payments post to said accounts because they were dragging their feet depsoting it etc... 

So it's just easier to pay 1/2 of them the first week after I get paid, and the second 1/2 after I get paid on the 15th. No autopays for me because a few wait for the very last day @ 11:59 PM, and that bothers me.

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pay most of my cards through their portals. Synchrony cards I push payments from my bank's bill pay service (regional bank called FirstBank here in CO). 

I would push all of my payments but FirstBank doesn't denote whether a transaction will be electronic or not and I found out the hard way that they have to send a check to Navy Federal. I wasn't late because I generally pay my statements as soon as they are issued but it did result in a few calls to Navy Federal and my bank to figure out why it was taking over a week. 

Message 14 of 22
frugal47374
Regular Contributor

I have autopay set up for all credit cards, in full, on the due date.  (Except a few 0% deals where I pay the minimum.)

I'm currently paying from several (so I have less than 6 transactions/month) savings accounts so I can earn maximum interest until the funds are actually withdrawn.

Message 15 of 22
iced
Valued Contributor

@cr101 wrote:

Using billpay via your bank portal?

In your CC portal using a linked bank account?

Also, if you're using billpay, please provide the bank/svc you're using and your likes/dislikes about it (ie: can make same-day payments for free)

CC app, using linked account. My checking bank (DCU) has a barely-adequate mobile app compared to the major banks, so it's just easier to do it via the CC portals. It's also typically faster IME - Citi credits payments instantly, and Chase/American Express update within 24 hours.

Message 16 of 22
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

When I had/get some CCs again, I like to use the issuer's online bill pay to get payment credited instantly and also a confirmation in case of any shenanigans. Smiley Happy

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 17 of 22
MB2714
Regular Contributor

I use my banks bill payment service I bank with Huntington. That way I don't have to worry about companies "Accidentally" double dipping two or three times or "accidentally" drawing on the wrong day. NEVER do auto pay. Huntington pays most major companies within 2 days electronically. Only a small credit union loan they send a check and that is 5 day guarantee.
Chapter 7 Discharge April 2015. .Transunion 662 07/2017
Equifax 652 07/2017
Experian 657 07/2017
Cap One QS $2,200; Cap One QS$2,950; Cap One PSVisa $1,100; Nordstrom Visa $3,500; Target $300; Syncb/Walmart $500; VonMaur $500; Cap1/Saks $500; Barclays MC(AU) $6,400; Buckle $250; Syncb/Car Care (AU) $2,500.
Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Always PUSH a payment from my banks bill pay service well before the due date. I have auto pay set up for each card as a failsafe too.

I know there are some diehard fans of PULLING payments via the lenders website/app, but in my opinion, that’s playing with fire. There are way too many variables that can make this go wrong: enter incorrect acct number upon set up, bank blocks the pull for some reason, lender cancels the payment for some reason, etc. We’ve all read these horror stories on here. We all also know that some lenders are prone to drastic AA from a “returned payment”. No thanks, I’ll push the payments to them!
Message 19 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Always PUSH a payment from my banks bill pay service well before the due date. I have auto pay set up for each card as a failsafe too.

I know there are some diehard fans of PULLING payments via the lenders website/app, but in my opinion, that’s playing with fire. There are way too many variables that can make this go wrong: enter incorrect acct number upon set up, bank blocks the pull for some reason, lender cancels the payment for some reason, etc. We’ve all read these horror stories on here. We all also know that some lenders are prone to drastic AA from a “returned payment”. No thanks, I’ll push the payments to them!

I hear this a lot but really don't understand.   There are "moving parts" in a push as well, you could enter the wrong recipient account, your pushing bank could block the push for some reason, the credit card could fail to credit etc.     At least with auto-pay from the issuers site, it's their responsibility.  So long as you have entered the account correctly, and there are enough funds at pull time, it's up to them.    But yes, make sure that you enter the checking account number correctly at set up.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.