Did you mean: 

How's the market treating you?

tag
Namaste7
Established Contributor

Re: How's the market treating you?

Good (read for context)

Portfolio: Index funds / wealth accumulation phase

I'm enduring life challenges with significant financial implications. At any other time in my life, the combination of life problems and market fluctuations would be a financial disaster. Things are not going as planned but it's important to keep things in context. My financial concerns are consistent: increase equity position (shares), manage expenses and limit wastefulness. I do not follow daily market trends but I am checking in with my existing lenders for no-fee or low-fee BT offers.

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 91 of 308
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@iced wrote:

Started buying some stuff today, mostly fortifying and rounding out some positions I had (getting number of shares up to a number divisible by 100, etc). Also scouting out a few more solid dividend stocks to boost medium- and long-term passive income streams.

Yeah, I would've started buying stuff again today too if I had money to invest.

I will have enough cash on hand to close on the Houston place whenever it gets finished as well as literally zero out the remaining CC if I so cared by Friday.  After that I'll probably start back on my regular pattern of investment.  

I think this whole thing has taught me the value of having a cash position and opportunistic buying when available.  Some of my positions are down 50% in a month (not even talking Tesla down far more than that), and yet I'm still convinced my investment thesis on them wasn't wrong and I'd love to pick up more shares at this price even if things continue downward.  At some point all of this passes, and depending how quickly I can get out of California maybe I can start playing more aggresively with short term capital gains to take even more advantage of times like these in the future.

We'll see, the LA condo is still a good hedge so no sense dumping it Zillow Offers style but it'd be nice to have a big lump sum to play with currently.

        
Message 92 of 308
redpat
Senior Contributor

I have been sitting on 50% cash since late January when the China outbreak was happening.  I had a feeling that they were lying about this whole thing.  Down 25% on remaining stocks in portfolio and 12% overall since January move. Bought some UTX, DIS, DOW, PPL, JPM, ABBV, JNJ, more CSCO and WFC yesterday binging my cash position down to 40%.  

Sticking with good balance sheets and dividends that shouldn't get cut, I hope.  The remainder of my cash will be invested when this is over, I don't want to catch the falling knives.  I was lucky that I rotated out of the oils as others caught up to them on the downside.  Lol, MAR looks so attractive but $30 - $40 price looks better......

There are some great buys out there but dip in slowly and rotate to better stocks if you have some dogs if they are near the same price.

REV, gas will be under $2 per gallon, Tesla should be around $190 - $225 very soon, no one is buying a car for awhile and the majors will be dumping inventory putting price pressure on Tesla including competition from Ford.  Their  cash burn will become a major concern.  Tesla could be a falling knife.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 93 of 308
wa3more
Established Contributor

Yes I bought some Disney, Apple, google and others yesterday 

Wendy's was down to 6.82. Closed over 10 today. Some good buys in quality companies. 

Message 94 of 308
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

The Markets had a real nice day, hope it keeps it up.

Message 95 of 308
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

It sure did. Both my 403b and Roth are happy. 

Now it needs to be pay day so I can get more shares at these discounted prices lol.

Message 96 of 308
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

It sure did. Both my 403b and Roth are happy. 

Now it needs to be pay day so I can get more shares at these discounted prices lol.

I am with ya, I have been dollar cost averaging in on the down day's where the market closes in red.

I am mostly a Mutual fund person. and put the buy orders in about 2 hours before the markets close.

I still have about a 20 year or so time horizon before I am forced to take money out.

I am pretty sure the market will be higherSmiley Very Happy

Take care!

Message 97 of 308
iced
Valued Contributor

Still a ways to go, but I think I'm going to look back and all this and say BA was the biggest bargain (and gamble) I pulled out of this. In 5 years when they're back to cranking out jets at a similar rate to Airbus and they're trading in the $400-500 range, scooping up shares for $100 (or less if you were really lucky) is going to look like a steal. Despite all their PR issues with the 737 MAX and now the travel collapse, they're not in any real trouble in the long run.

And they pay a decent dividend to boot.

Message 98 of 308
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

One of My Mutual funds (TRBCX) holds Boeing "BA" .. I noticed it was up just a hair ..

Larger Image >> https://i.imgur.com/DYGDX7v.png

Message 99 of 308
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Because of the physical demand for Gold and most cannot get delivery due to shutdowns,

Gold 1 oz coins and bars are bringing $200 over spot "price" 

Message 100 of 308
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.