Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use a credit card responsibly? Total beginner

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to use a credit card responsibly? Total beginner

It may sound odd to many of you, but I have never owned a credit card before. However, now that I live in Bangkok, I got my first one from a Thai company named Umay+ (http://www.umayplus.com/cashcard), and I would like to know some tips on how to manage it properly.

I know I need to make a budget and stick to it, but are there any other tips that will come in handy? I know I need to control myself haha, but some practical advice would be very helpful for a beginner like me.

I know I have my own weak points, and therefore, I would like to know as much as how to use my CC responsibly before actually using it for purchasing things.

Therefore, I will welcome any help, because I want to get things done the right way from the beginning. And... it would be awesome if I could find another Thai expat using this card haha, because that kind of experience would be very helpful for me!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

Re: How to use a credit card responsibly? Total beginner

It's simple really.

Never charge more on your card than you can pay at every statement cut.

Ideally, never let your card report at 8.9% or greater of the total credit limit. If your limit is small and you need to use the card for more than that 8.9% during the billing cycle, then pay it down before the statement cuts.

Welcome to the forums! I'd really encourage you to read all the information (post's) here that that others have shared. Starting off new and really understanding how the credit system works will give you a leg up on having a great credit history and subsequent score.    

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.