Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't want to adult

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I don't want to adult

I just think car/trucks/suv are now over priced.  I have an SUV  I love but it is getting time to retire it.  I looked at 2015 and 2016 models and saw several I liked but the price. My first new car costs under $4,000 loaded. Now that buys the front seat. I played with several ideas with percent down or even have the business buy it.  Non appeal.  I might just have to get a horse.  (I used to ride Rodeo/trick riding  when I was young)   I might get a buckboard to go with it.  I wonder what my wife would say if a horse and buggy showed up in the back 40?   Here in small town we still have lots of dirt roads and 1 lane roads. 

Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haha!! That's too funny!

I agree SUVs are crazy expensive!! Trucks are as well. We had a terrible time trying to find a truck for my husband when we moved here that was still reliable but less than $10k. It's nearly impossible to find something affordable outside of mini vans and small cars.
Message 22 of 26
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Haha!! That's too funny!

I agree SUVs are crazy expensive!! Trucks are as well. We had a terrible time trying to find a truck for my husband when we moved here that was still reliable but less than $10k. It's nearly impossible to find something affordable outside of mini vans and small cars.

I guess what I would try to do is figure out what you need or maybe even want (ignore cost for the moment) then use something like Truecar or KBB to see where along the curve the new car depreciation is mostly out of the equation.  Sure there's some variance if the car simply wasn't maintained but I've only bought a new car once to date and that was when I was seriously cash flush and just wrote a check for 32K or whatever it was.  Incidently that was a mistake in my book but anyway.

Anyway being smart on used car purchases and then for me I usually drive them into the ground is close enough to adulting in my book.

If I wind up at my current gig longer than a year and I'm still in the no wife / no kids situation, I will probably do an anti-adult thing and pick up a Tesla Model 3 for more than I should rationally be paying but that's a function of my current work where they have chargers onsite in the parking garages.  Not sure I'd try without that honestly as my current 2010 still has several years left on it to my thinking.  I have very little in terms of life or financial responsibilities though, if that changes, will go back to my former used car method haha.... that's adult enough for me too.

That said, if you need a minivan, do a minivan; the economics are there as you suggest.  I suspect that worrying about what the neighbors will think is a recipe for an unhappy life.

        
Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Luckily we live in a farming community where driving a beater is pretty commonplace! Folks are pretty down to earth and cost of living is very low.

We ended up finding a used 2013 navigator with 4 wheel drive for $34k and financed through penfed. It should last us many many years since it only has 32k miles on it.

We take trips about 2x a week to get groceries since we don't have a real grocery store in town. My old SUV was having a tough time making that trip so it was definitely time. It was a good old girl though and hopefully we will feel the same about this one when she's on her last leg too lol.
Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

By the way... if you go for the Tesla enjoy it!
Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smalltown still has a lot of cow/calf operations. We still have a Farmers Co-op in the county seat. It has become more of a car repair & lawn/garden center though.  Look sometimes at the Jeep line.  A lot less money.  Also very high clearence. We have a lot of rough areas so I needed the hieght.  Wrangler for 2 people sometimes 3 . Patriot for family  

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.