cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installment Loans/Credit

tag
DonFico

Installment Loans/Credit

I have a couple of installment loans that I'm about to pay off (auto and personal). I believe that having installment credit makes counts towards your credit worthless? My question is, does anyone have any low cost ideas for installment loan credit that won't needlessly put me in thousands of debt?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SlideOrInsert
Regular Contributor

Re: Installment Loans/Credit

"Adding an installment loan the Share Secure technique"

upgrade
9/2022
$30000
nfcu
8/2020
$20000
nfcu
12/2018
$30000
bofa
8/2016
$30000
citi
3/2016
$21000
discover
5/2014
$20000
chase
10/2007
$8900
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DonFico wrote:

I have a couple of installment loans that I'm about to pay off (auto and personal). I believe that having installment credit makes counts towards your credit worthless? My question is, does anyone have any low cost ideas for installment loan credit that won't needlessly put me in thousands of debt?

The sentence in blue is a bit confusing.  You might want to try editing it so it says what you mean more clearly.

Regardless, the Share Secure Loan Technique is likely what you want.  The link you were given is a good place to start.  If you have family in the military, consider joining Navy Fed -- their SSL is well tested with the Technique.

Let us know if you need more help.

Message 3 of 5
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@DonFico wrote:

Your old instalment loans are reported and can be seen, showing your history and good payments. You only take a hit with current credit mix points.  Depending on your credit score, age, history, number of accounts, old loans, etc, the score gain/loss can be from 70 points to less than 10.  I went from a 845 Ficos to 835's because of no installment loans within the last 2 years.  Do not know if it will continue to go down with time or that is all the loss I will see.  For me the 10 points is not worth the effort of playing the "installment loan game".   If it had dropped 70 points I would have gotten the NFCU loan, and worked the system. You could just wait a few months and see the impact on your scores.  Then decide if it a worthwhile adventure or not.

Message 4 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@DonFico wrote:

If you do consider going the SSL route, keep in mind that although it avoids a hard pull, it does count as a new account, thus decreasing the age of newest account and average age of accounts, and adding an "account with balance" to your profile. Also remember its effect is primarily on FICO 8's and 9's, while the mortgage scores either shrug it off, or react only slightly.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.